1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Revelation (2/12 Final photos and video!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by quizz_kid, 14 Jun 2013.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

If there isn't a compatible one then yes a custom one will be only way, the one on aquatuning looks quite simple to make & even more so with your skills & creativity. :)

Sweet keyboard mod BTW. :D

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Yeah, I'd say if you buy some soundproofing material and make your own box, you could perhaps show it off as an extra feature. An enclosure like this with your quizzkid flair would be pretty cool.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh, man! I love this project.:D Too classy.

4. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks guys!

I actually manage to silence the pump just by removing the second screw, that is, having it mounted with one support. So no custom box needed, although I 'm pretty temted, just for the sake of it =)

Now, I some of you guys might get disappointed, but I ditched the plumber work and got regular clear tubing instead.

The reason; Although the leak test turned out great, I simply don't trust my epoxy solution. I really don't need a customer calling me up abot leaks, just beacause I had a "visual idea"(lack of knowledge)

Personally, I'm satisfied with decision. The copper fittings really pop combined with clear tubing, and it gives the setup a real clean look.

A big thank you to Andreas from Aquatuning, for helping me out with additional fittings

Here's the new mounting for the pump, one legged support only. Doesn't make a sound =)
    [​IMG]

I got this "black" coolant delivered to me yesterday. Yes, the bottle really says "black". I would call that purple, but that's just me I guess??!! Surprisingly, I enjoyed the color, a lot =) Copper and purple, now that's a match!
    [​IMG]

Then I picked up this RGB LED strip module that I'll try for lighting inside chassis.
    [​IMG]

Module mounted, with LED dimmer.
    [​IMG]

I also finished the volume knob...
    [​IMG]

and secured the eye of the build, a lens protection in copper...
    [​IMG]

//Quizz

Last edited: 24 Sep 2013
  5. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

SUPERB!! I also love that deep purple (SMOOOOOKE ON THE WATER!!! FIRE IN THE SKY!!!) :p

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Ok, I now understand that I've bough UV coolant =)
    Have to get a UV stripe now just as well... I mean, just because!

Livio likes this.
  7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Shame about the copper piping but at the same time, the purple looks really nice too.

Glad you sorted your pump problem.

8. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

Well this is probably the coolest project I've ever seen. Great job.

9. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Wisdom!

That is nice of you to say Goats!

Update:

First, I made a physical SATA-switch, for the two system setup.
    [​IMG]

Then I decided to have the fillport on top, and welded a G1/4 fitting into the top mesh.
    [​IMG]

I had to remove some material from two of the top fans to make place for the fillport.
    [​IMG]

Then I just repainted the mesh.
    [​IMG]

After that I painted those blue 6-pin PCI-E connectors copper.
    [​IMG]

Received my new flat riser today, a special 20cm with extra 12v boost. The 30cm(15+15cm) riser didn't work(as predicted) and this was my last hope...
    [​IMG]

As you can see behind the panel, it's a much better lenght. So I prayed to the evil god...
    [​IMG]

... and did a testrun. And YES, it worked!! This is soooo releaving, a fail here would jeopardised the entire project. The SATA switch works as well. Very very happy today!
    [​IMG]

Decided to try paint the riser copper.
    [​IMG]

I like the result!!
    [​IMG]

Sooo... With one big obstacle out of the way, it's onto another one, the bind construction.

My construction with pulleys workes, but not ideally. Due to the tiny amount of space up there, and the size of the pulleys, the blind doesn't go far enough and leaves aprox 7cm of the components uncovered.
    [​IMG]

So this is my new idea. Another shaft on top, attached directly onto the motor. This way, the blind can be pulled up further, leaving only aprox 2cm uncoverd. Plus, both sides of the blind will be given an equal amount of preassure.
    [​IMG]

Only thing is, To give the motor some space, I'll have to put a hole in one of the side panels of the chassis. Well, I can just cover it with something nice I guess...
    [​IMG]

Laterz! :lol::lol::lol:
    //Quizz

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice relief, onto the next pickle. :D

11. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

nice to see about the riser (it could help me out with a current problem as well, didn't know there are risers out there with extra 12V)...

and I like...err no I love that purple fluid... like you say it's a killer combo with the copper!

12. 666painkiller

666painkiller If only....

WOW.........looks stunning

13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

The way it goes =)

Thanks. Yeah, that extra 12V probably saved my entire project!

Thank you!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The purple works. It's soooo nice to see something not red. Unique color combinations really set a project apart from the others.

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Cheaps! I've never seen the combination before myself...

Some more progress:

Made the upper axis shaft for the blind construction. Since it will be visible, I choose copper of course. I will try to test this new construction next week.
    [​IMG]

Here are close ups / Left=bearing / Right=motor
    [​IMG]

And here's the top piece mesh, repainted.
    [​IMG]

4x120mm fans mounted. You can see the fill port in the middle.
    [​IMG]

And here's a test fit with the keyboard/storage unit on top.
    [​IMG]

Another shot...
    [​IMG]

Here's a VGA cable for the projector which I had to mod some, due to some lack of space.
    [​IMG]

And here is my "lens-focus-dial-extender" Tech Lego and some distance pieces, all very DIY :D
    [​IMG]

Here's how it works, pretty simple...
    [​IMG]

Just use the lens protection/screwdriver...
    [​IMG]

... and adjust the focus by screwing. Quite proud of the solution :dremel:
    [​IMG]

Laterz
    //Quizz :lol::lol::lol:

16. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Dude... Legos IN a build!!!

17. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Finally, legos put to a use in a build OTHER than an uninventive lego case.

18. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

LEGO!!!

19. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

Lego :eeek: - Lego Technic in a build :jawdrop:
    you should get some kind of award for that.. wait a minute
    [​IMG]

All jokes aside this is absolutely amazing. your crafting skills are too much man!
    awesome work

20. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Thanks Scott!

More progress:

Intstalled the PSU today, the Be Quiet! 550w. Just realized I got lots of cables in this build. Got the PC setup, projector, speaker system, LCD, lighting modules, joystick pads etc... Can't believe I'm actually going to fit everything in there.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot where you can see the two holes for cable management. The mess you see here are cables for some switches and the projector.
    [​IMG]

I installed the LEDs. Decided to have two strips for increased lighting, and then use the dim knob for reducing if needed.
    [​IMG]

Some strip soldering.
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick test using the remote. Red...
    [​IMG]
    ... and blue.
    [​IMG]

Then I continued on that new blind contruction. Here are some cover pieces in walnut...
    [​IMG]

Outer side panel. The small motor is mounted into the cover piece with epoxy, a perfect fit.
    [​IMG]

With everything installed, I attached two cords to the blind. This was actually very tricky, and took me about two days to get it right. First I had to find the right type of cord. Tried several, fishing line, boat rope, regular sewing cotton etc. I realized I couldn't use any elastic cord, due to the weakness of motor I think. When using fishing line, I got sort of a springback from the tension. I finally got it right using this one, a natural string.
    [​IMG]

Getting the alignment right took me several tries, but here it is.
    [​IMG]

You can see the space I had to work with here. Between fans and shaft there's aprox 2mm of margins.
    [​IMG]

The transparent LCD need backlight to work, so I had to place the sprips with presicion. Here's the blind pulled out to its limit, and you can see the light strip sneaking up just in front of the canvas.
    [​IMG]

Last shot it with walnut bezel installed. I'm happy I managed to get the blind up as far as I did, covering almost the entire screen. The blind construction has been a real pain, but this is what you get when adding a new element this late in a process.
    [​IMG]

Now I have to find and install some limit switches for the blind... Then it's time for final assembly :lol::lol::lol: