1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Going up again! Update: (Gone up, not too happy)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 26 Sep 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Should have gone for a Parvum case :D

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Never going to go back to a full ATX as I have no need for that size of PC. though never say never as one day I would like to dip my toe in the black arts of water cooling though I still would rather do it in the smaller cases.
    I prefer a single decent card as opposed to SLI or Crossfire. But M-ITX is a step to far for a gaming PC that you are likely to be upgrading over time as it is such a fiddle to work with. But I have two other M-ITX PC's who do their thing and are great but I did not feel happy with CM 120.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I think I'm part of a dying breed tbh. My desk is enormous. Well, it's basically two desks haha.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Oh I have the space I managed to get a rather large office desk that weighs a ton and needs to be deconstructed to move and I have your normal type PC desk to one side. But I find moving a PC around when it is in a big case far to heavy these days.

I had one of these http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242 but the one with the red interior I added 5 castors just so I could move the damn thing. These days I like to be able to pick the PC up and comfortably carry it over to my workspace area.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just installed my components and yet again with Silverstone cases there are annoying design flaws. In the SG 10 not one anchor point for a cable tie and there is plenty of space for any amount.

Thumbscrews are not pointed,minor niggle perhaps, but why on earth not.

Overly long front panel cables and worse the power cable must be an easy 4+ inches to long and hiding the cable or tying it down was nightmare and so unnecessary.

The case lid which fits over the top and half way down one side and all the way down the other was a right bugger to fit, made worse by the stupid placement of the 120mm fan placed front bottom and it clashes with GPU power supply.

Not enough quality control at the design stage methinks.

Case in question.

Edit: Front placement of PSU not good .I like close to total silence unless gaming this is not total silence. Hmmm.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2013
  6. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Fractal Design Arc Mini has none of these concerns.
    Unlucky.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

^Helpful... I've always found the placement of the PSU at the front of that case to be a strange idea - it's not the hottest running component of a PC by a long chalk so why give it the pick of the airflow locations?

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That pc case looks like a nightmare to work on.

ATX all the way for me and my fat stubby hands :D

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I did not realise how less silent a PSU is as I has always been at the back of the case prior to this one.
    Not make that mistake again.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

They can be properly noisy - I never realised the benefits of having a silent PSU until I had a quiet one! I certainly notice the difference with the Air 540 as it's on the other side of the case entirely from the 'main' components...

11. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

To save space. Having the PSU at the back means the case needs to be taller or the PSU is over the motherboard, severely limiting CPU cooler size. Silverstone offers the TJ08-E if that's what you're after.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands