1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Email Hope, they have more spares and odd bits for old stuff than you would think possible. I think Chain Reaction has 5 bolt discs still on sale too.

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Thanks for the link. I've just purchased a Hope Mono Mini with a no. 3 IS caliper and a 180mm 6 bolt rotor. I expect that the 185mm rotor chain reaction sells won't fit?

If I do get an older rotor from Hope, will it work with a mono mini caliper? Some of the older rotors appear to have larger surface areas that the more modern stuff, so is compatibility an issue?

This is my first foray into disc brakes, so I'm a little clueless.

4. Margo Baggins

I am currently running Hope Mono 6 front and 6TI rear on the current version of the 203mm Hope Saw floating rotors. They seem to fit fine.

I do not really know about the odd sized rotors - as, the 6TI is supposed to take a 205mm rotor, but I don't see how it could as I don't seem to be able to find adaptors that would make that possible, so I get what you are saying, as I've been there!

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Well, had a fun ride yesterday at chicksands till i stumbled an my mate stacked it into the back of me. Trip an A&E later (I drove) came out with a fractured scaphoid an drove home! Now have to fix some bits and lick my wounds

6. Margo Baggins

Ouch! I hope you get better soon. did you get a cast or anything?

I Finally got my bike up and running last night. After basically 2 weeks of drilling out bolts, extracting bearings and seating new bearings, and waiting for bits - I now have my bike built back up, new bolts, new bearings, no play in the rear end :D I am really happy about this as at several points throughout the whole ordeal I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew and that my frame would never get built up working.

7. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Last time I had a big off I broke that bone. Started riding again a couple of weeks later.

Hope the bikes ok

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Nothing major to sort just a new rear mech an hanger got some nice marks on the back of my legs!
    I do have a cast but thats coming off soon as possible hate the thing been whacking chopsticks down it to scratch my arm. Going back in two weeks to see if its fusing if not it could be fun.

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Does anybody have any ideas for a 'steel racer' I've decided that I want one for over the winter, but I'm struggling to find a decent one that I like for sensible money.

I love the look of the Schwinn Slicker from 2012 but I can't find one anywhere so what alternatives are there? I love the look that thinner steel tubing gives and like having a single ring up front with 9/10/11 at the rear.
    [​IMG]
    Even if I could find a decent frame it would help, but being massively out of the road bike 'scene' I am kind of clueless.

10. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Scaphoid = slowest healing bone in the body, broke my right scaphoid about 6-7 years ago and it took 3 months to heal!

Arm was withered by the time the (glow in the dark) cast came off, oh and scaly - oh so scaly like I was a lizard :worried::worried:

11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

What do you consider sensible money? Have you checked out Charge?

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Does it have to have gears ? if its for commuting purposes http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPKOJ/on_one_pompino_drop_bar_urban_bike

Had mine about 6weeks now and love it done about 500mile so far super comfy, low maintenance easy rider.

It'll make you so much fitter as well, I've noticed a massive jump in my fitness (also because I love overtaking racers with gears lol)

13. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I am looking for a recommendation for either waterproof trainers or waterproof overshoes.
    I ride around 300 miles a month, mainly on towpaths and cycle tracks and the occasional road.
    I have a Specialized Sirrus Sport hybrid and use just normal platform studded pedals and not clipless.

Thanks.

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Have you considered this?

I used it on my snowboard boots to re-waterproof them, and its great stuff, then you could just use whatever shoes you enjoy cycling in now.
    [​IMG]

Personally I ride in SPD shoes and I haven't looked back since. My pedals can still be ridden with normal shoes, so its a nice balance. But that is another decision altogether and not in your spec.

15. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Thanks Lance, sounds like a decent idea as I can stick with my usual trainers.
    I shall give it a shot.

Cheers.

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Sensible money around £500, I had forgot about Charge somehow.

Its not for commuting, just general riding about and whilst where I live is relatively flat the climbs are long rather than steep. Would you use the Pompino for longer than commute rides?

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

longest ride so far is 30miles on it with about 1500ft of elevation I'm going for 50miles Saturday morning as long as I'm ok.

I do love it, although on the way home today I set my 4 fastest segments on Strava but then chain broke at the start of a sprint and i spent 3hours in A&E, Road rash hurts like a ****er, I should be able to go out Saturday just slower.

18. Margo Baggins

If you have your rear shock "pushed" what does that mean?

19. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

'pushed' is a type of shock tune. TFTuned did mine - I gave them rough details on my weight, riding style, frame etc and they rework the insides to give a nice tune based on the info they asked for.

It transformed by RP23, much more reactive to small stuff and a pleasure to ride on the ups :)

20. Margo Baggins

How much did that cost you? I think I want to buy a new shock for my frame, as I had an rp23 on my old frame and I loved it, but this just has a float shock, which doesn't even have rebound. I think I am going to pick up an rp2 with a remote lever, have the right size on crc for 145 quid new which is good price.