1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Looking for a desk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David164v8, 6 Oct 2013.

1. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Could anyone recommend a nice desk? I've only found ikea desks, which look nice on the website but I'm not entirely sure of quality.

I was thinking of maybe buying a wooden countertop, but I'm not exactly sure how I would have that mounted :confused: Would some of the legs from here

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/10712/

And a countertop from here work?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00145748/#/40146524

In terms of price, I don't really mind as long as its not crazy expensive, I do want it to last.

Are there any desks that can hide my tower well? I have a cabinet in my current desk, but I've never tried to put it in there just in case it didn't get enough airflow.

Edit: This looks pretty perfect, anyone else tried it?
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3296283&postcount=3

Last edited: 6 Oct 2013
  2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yes, I have Ikea kitchen worktops as both my desk and the wife's. They're huge, and incredibly easy to put together.

For legs, Ikea sell some basic metal cylinders that are height adjustable, which you then attach to the worktop using some short screws. I then also used some wood strips to create wall attachments.

I got the worktops cut to size at Homebase for 50p a cut.

3. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

If I wanted it to be hanging of the wall instead of using legs, could I use one of these?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10168720/

Not great with DIY :worried:

Edit: Just realised I definitely can't, where could I get the type of brackets that would do that?

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

To hang it off a wall, forget any fancy stuff.
    Simply buy some lengths of timber, nothing massive, and drill them in to the wall as support beams (obviously get them level!). The desk then sits on top, and can be screwed on to the wood supports. I did this on the backs of my desks, with legs on the front to support.

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Easy get the Gallant from Ikea. Strong as anything and will last a long time

6. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

7. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

I have a white ikea counter with these trestles from Habitat

Nic trestle

although they were much cheaper when I bought them. They sit a bit higher than a normal table would as well. I did buy cylindrical legs from Ikea along with the counter top but the counter top is really heavy and I was worried the legs would pull away from the counter due to the weight, so I pulled my trestles out of storage.

The biggest advantage of the trestles is that they're very narrow so there's plenty of leg room.

[​IMG]

8. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

This! Galant desks are really well built -- and can easily be put together to give you various shapes. I've just gotten an extended corner desk which gives me enough space to have separate study / computer areas. I have two other Galants (decent number of years on both of them) which are holding up excellently.

(The Galant system is basically metal frames+legs, with various tabletops that can be fitted to them to give various shapes/sizes -- simple, and robust.)

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Problem is, Galant aren't cheap. I've got a set in storage that easily cost £400.

10. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Got my Galant corner desk on eBay for circa £20! As long as you're capable of collecting in your local area then they're reasonably affordable.

11. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Not cheap true but have had mine for 8 years and still going strong

12. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I've heard lot of great things about the galant, but I think I'm decided on the tabletop setup. £120 just to support it is pretty crazy though.

13. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

on eBay the expenditure doesn't have to be anywhere near £120, but tabletop is a decent choice :)

14. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

15. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Do you think it could be supported without the legs? I only have one monitor and would probably have my pc on the floor.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Depends on the length of wall you're trying this on, and whether you're supporting on 2 or 3 sides?

17. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Around 2 metres, and I could do 3 sides if it was necessary.

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

If you use three sides then you won't need any legs - just make sure your wall fixings are adequate and you're not going in to something silly like plasterboard, ensure it is brick! The alternative is to be super paranoid and add a single leg in the middle.

19. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Thanks for the help, I really have no idea what I'm doing :clap: The wall definitely is brick though. Now that I've got the desk more or less sorted out, whats the best way of managing cables? At the moment I have a giant plug extender with spaghetti wires running everywhere. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30200253/

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, had that under my Galant desks. It's pretty reasonable, and certainly gets cables up off the floor - and even can hold some power bricks. The issue is doing things neatly, and in such a way that you can also alter set ups later...