1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't feel like just editing my prior one (entirely different subject, filled with lots of pictures and text all of it's own).

Anyway, as I hinted to before, I built a moped:

[​IMG]
    Some of you might remember my beastly touring bike, that old Surly Long Haul Trucker, but you've never seen it like this! Grabbed the motor at a local store for the same price it would have been online and got to work last night. Four hours and many bottles of alcohol later, it were done. Had some... interesting fitmet issues, but I got it all sorted out in the end.

[​IMG]
    First thing this morning I set off on over to the local petrol station to fill it up, which isn't something I'm well experienced in. Needless to say I made myself look like a bit of a fool trying to work out how the pump works. Got there in the end though!

[​IMG]
    Fuelled up I set off to see if I couldn't get this contraption moving. Cue many laps of a quiet street as I attempted to figure out why it wouldn't turn over. Eventually I realised that the 2-stroke mix had all settled into the carb, thereby starving the motor, so with a quick disconnection of the fuel line and letting it run into the bottle of oil I had with me (that clear bottle with a red spout on), I was off again. With a sputter and a clunk, the bike sprang to life!

Then the chain fell off. :lol:

Shut it off, engaged the clutch, and made my way home to play with the idler wheel a bit. Once that was done though? Woah, what an experience. Worked like a dream for the 30km I ended up just plodding about with it.

[​IMG]
    It should go without saying that a kit like this isn't simple to get working - not by any means! Take the clutch release lever for instance: where the heck are you going to put this? Instructions tell you to just remove your front brake, but what kind of a solution is that?! Butts to the instructions, I'm going to find my own way, and so I did. The clutch lever is operated with the thumb of that hand, allowing one to still use the brake lever and operate the twist-throttle. Works really rather well I must say. But as with anything there is a break-in period, resulting in a prolonged period of sub-optimal performance and the requirement of the user to be gentle on the device...

[​IMG]
    Oops :blush:

[​IMG]
    Full tank of petrol. Not the biggest hit my wallet has taken this weekend for sure!

Finally, a story of my first ride on this thing:

Single most terrifying thing ever.

So I'm out and about on my moped today, testing and breaking it in, and found myself on a large road with a speed limit of 60kph. No probs, I can do well over that thought I embarking onto said road at a controlled intersection with the lights in my favour (only just though). As I turn right I notice a large, white pickup truck to my left, waiting at the light revving it's engine, but I didn't put much thought into it as, again, I can easily do the speed limit and can accelerate just as fast as most other road going vehicles.

Within a block I'm doing 60-something, plodding along, nearly caught up to the traffic ahead of me, when a bone chilling roar makes itself known from behind me. Roughly a foot off to my left passed that same white pickup truck from the intersection, doing roughly double the speed I was. This was fast enough to where the driver had to stomp as hard as possible on the brakes in an effort to not hit the vehicles ahead of me - and damn was he ever close to smashing into them as well.

Though at this point I was rather understandably shaken I decided to just follow this moron for a while, see if I couldn't get the opportunity to give him a nice, friendly punch to the face. Unfortunately that never happened, so I turned off and turned around as I'd more than missed my stop and didn't feel like crossing over Deerfoot yet.

Fast forward to my destination, a local toy store, I found myself physically shaking and feeling quite disturbed by the event, it taking priority of my thoughts. Needless to say I don't believe I'll be taking large roads again any time soon.

Other than this though, the test went well! Only the kickstand fell off! Though I think I have a leaky carburettor...

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Very cool. The thought of doing nearly 80kph on that thing does scare me quite a lot though.

3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Looking for some recommendations on a saddle bag to carry a small tool kit on XC trails. I'd probably look to carry a spare inner tube, a CO2 inflator (such as the PDW Shiny Object), a multitool, and my car keys

Are there any on the market that also incorporate some kind of protective phone compartment? I'd love somewhere to store my Lumia 920, so I can track my rides, and use in case of an emergency, but will keep it safe in case of a crash.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I don't really like frame bags - I do though have a little pump on my frame, though this has turned into more of an item for good luck as apparently any time I take it off my bike someone I am with gets a flat and there is no pumps about - I have used the pump precisely zero times, my friends have used it alot. I have a camelbak with a couple of extra pockets in it - I carry a multitool, a spare tube, tyre levers, some park patches that you can stick over a ripped tyre on the inside to get you home, a couple of puncture patches, powerlink adaptor and my iphone. I have fallen off many times and am yet to break my iphone.

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I have this on my road bike.

Works a charm, I can't imagine it being an issue on a MTB unless you're going really nuts.

It also has an expander which I've used with doing longer trips, and allowed me to hold quite a bit of stuff. I had inner tube, patches, phone, tyre levers, micro tool set and I think a few gels in there.

It holds on via a velcro strap and two clip, which you can get nice and tight to prevent wobble.

If you want even less stuff my brother has the smaller version, which is also rather good.

Refereing to Margon's point about a back pack. Have a look at the osprey versions, I have one and its AMAZING, holds 3/5ltr I think plus a 2ltr bladder, and its also rigid both bladder and bag, so it doesn't go wobbly as some packs do. I would highly recommend it. For XC I would suggest this over a saddle bag personally.

Edit:

This bag

Edit 2:

Malv, that whole clutch thing is because its using the same system as a motorbike, where you have the clutch where your break is, and you use your right foot pedal for the rear break. (The left pedal changes your gears)

Last edited: 14 Oct 2013
  6. dullonien

I agree a backpack would be ideal, but I usually hate wearing backpacks whilst riding as I find my back get's really sweaty.

I may look into a bag that fits into the frame as well. It'll be a little more out of the way of mud there, and should be a little more secure.

Lance, does that Topeak have a dedicated space for a phone, or do you just put it in along with the rest of the kit? The reason I ask is that I don't like the idea of it being alongside a multitool or such, which would easily smash it to pieces if the came into contact. I would have almost thought someone would have made something with a padded, plastic shrouded compartment for a phone that was completely separate to the rest.

7. Lance

No it doesn't. It has a meshed compartment at the front of it but thats not big enough for a smart phone.

I personally just wrap up all things that go into the bag that have edges, as I don't want anything damaging my inner tubes.

I've never seen anything that would have a compartment for a phone in a saddlebag type setup. But I've not researched it myself. Personally I think you would be best off getting a case/sock to put your phone into if you want to go down this route and keep the bag small.

8. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well yes, I know that :p But this kit is designed and sold to convert pushbikes into mopeds, thus no possibility to utilize one's foot to actuate a brake. The bit that really threw me was the recommendation to just remove the brake that provides %80 of ones stopping power, as that is a silly idea.

I like my solution better.

As far as bags go, Topeak do some rather nice units - have several myself. If you need a good bit of storage plus space for a bulky phone, I can verify that This is a good option for you (side, separated pocket with ample room for a phone plus a large and expandable main pouch that'll fit a small jacket). Be aware that you do need quite a bit of seatpost showing for this to work.

9. Lance

Yeah I have to say I see where you're coming from with that one.

Part of me wants to say I'd try and have it like an oldschool set of gears, on the frame, but then I suppose you'd have to take your hand off the handlebars to stop.... Whats the idol-ing speed like?

It does look like a brilliant bit of fun.

Oh and quick question: whats the deal on licensing? Seeing as you've moved into motor vehicle realms?

10. dullonien

A good protective phone case looks like the way to go. I'll have to get together all the bits I want to carry and see what size bag I'd need.

I like the simple looks of the Arundel Dual, and it sits right up beneath the seat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I want to make sure that I've got all the necessary kit next time I go riding, instead of hoping that nothing goes wrong like I used to do things. I never used to take anything with me, no pump, no spare tube/repair kit, no multitool; but it'd be a real pita if I picked up a puncture half way round a 30km trail. That'd be a long push back to the car!

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Taking a hand off the bars isn't too big of a deal since I generally drift to a stop using the engine itself as a brake seeing as it doesn't idle at all (trying to sort that one out), but more importantly one really needs a lot of leverage to actuate the clutch, so I don't know if one could do it with a small shift lever, plus the dérailleurs on the bike itself are already using the existing mounts for suicide shifters. I could probably get it to work with a bar-mounted friction shifter, but I don't know if it would be worth it, though I've already gotten two people who want to buy systems off me (well, pay for me to install them anyway) so I'll have to get something working!

Idle speed should be 1400rpm, but at the moment it really doesn't (air/fuel mixture issue I suspect).

In Canada the rule is that a moped can be used by anybody (over 14 years of age) without requirement for a license, insurance or registration provided it complies to the following regulations: no more than 49cc displacement; cannot accelerate faster than a certain amount in a set distance (don't remember the specifics of this off hand, but I believe I only just get under this one); vehicle must be entirely operable by human-driven pedal power. Top speed I am a little fuzzy on as it has been a while, but either it is 60kph or there is no limit where I am - one of the two.

The USA is a little different I believe, as several people I've talked to claim that any 49cc scooter can be used without license/insurance/registration, but I don't know the specifics on it.

12. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

hey guys, looking to buy a bike in a week or so and dont have a clue what to get.

Price im looking at is variable as im going to paying for it with finance so any suggestions need to be able to be bought like that.

The reason I am looking at getting one is, I am sick of having do the hour walk to work everyday.

The way to work includes a rather muddy and wet pathway through a forest so I am thinking a MTB will be my best bet. If it helps I am 6' tall but I have quite a short inside leg (think 29" max), and quite a big guy. can you guys help me find a decent bike as I have no clue at all.

13. Lance

Look at the specialized crosstrail.

Because you are doing a long distance muddy trail a real MTB might be a little slower and as you're not going to be jumping it off cliffs a sports hybrid might suit you better. Plus the crosstrail looks really good.

They have a few versions btw so look at the sport to comp. the bottom version doesn't tend to be as good for the money. 80 20 and all that.

I don't know about finance tbh but look at the ride to work scheme. Big tax break if done right.

14. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

Got myself some new rollerbrakes today. :D

The old ones started to lose power after close to 7 years without any maintenance and even greasing them didn't work anymore.
    Still, not bad for a bike that is used all year in rain, mud and snow.
    [​IMG]

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

So it turn's out I broke my Rock Shox Stealth dropper post while in Glentress the other weekend :( thank god for warranty.

16. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

How?

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Not a clue, it developed loads of play front to back and side to side when fully extended. Posted it back to the distributor on Mon, emailed me today to say I should get a new one in the post tomorrow.

18. dullonien

Managed to get some Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25's for £24 each which is pretty good value if you ask me. Not fitted them yet, but I hope they fit. I'm going to try them with my Maxxis Flyweight tubes, although they're only rated to 2.1". I run them on my singlespeed with 2.2" tyres, but that doesn't receive the punishment my XC bike will. Time will tell.

I also fitted my new front wheel and tested the Hope Mono Mini. I think it needs a lot of bedding in as it doesn't work too well atm. I'm also thinking it could do with some new pads and a bleed. I also need to shorten the hose, is this something I can do myself?

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Reverbs will break if you look at them funny.

But they're still better than a Kronolog.

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Bleeding hope's with a mono lever is easy, http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/ get a kit from there, and there is a really good video on youtube of a hope technician walking you through the process. You can get a hose cutter on that site as well - though if it's braided hose the tool they sell is a pain in the backside.

Above is for a mini lever, but it's exactly the same with a mono lever - I normally get someone to give me a hand and open and close the bleed nipple for me. The most important bit really is putting the diaphragm back on.

dullonien likes this.