1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Thanks Parge, Star Citizen is one title I'm waiting for too.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Star Citizen is not due out till Q1 2015 so we should have rift before or around Its release.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Had my very first go on the Rift last night. Played the demo that comes with it (just a house and garden to walk around) and Half Life 2.

The Demo:
    First impressions when you put the headset on is that its not as heavy as it looks, and is reasonably comfortable (though this might change after a couple of hours). I put it on and looked around. I was instantly struck by how natural the head tracking was. As I started to move around, I felt instantly unsettled as you appear to glide across the ground like weird ghost and there is a definite disconnect between movement in game and real life. However, I was also overcome with how amazing it was that instead of looking from the outside into a game as you do on a screen, I was actually IN the game. Butterflies flying over my head were captivating, the sunflowers pop right out at you and walking up to a window and looking inside the house makes you feel like you really are looking into the window of a house. The demo was basic, and I agree with everyone that says the dev kits res is poor - you can clearly make out the pixels if you hold back the wonder of being IN a game for a minute

Half Life 2 was something else though. Walking up the Combine guards, in the intro was one of the most surreal and real experiences I've ever had. I felt like they were right in front of me, in perfect 3D. Small things like the floor and the ceiling become instantly fascinating. Not only that, but the game gave me absolutely zero nausea, and felt more natural than the first demo.

Its not perfect by a long way, but I'm 100% certain, even at this very early stage that this is going to change the way we experience certain types of games forever. Bring on the consumer version and Star Citizen.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2013
  4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That's amazing, thanks for your input.
    Great to hear how awesome it is.
    All we need to do is wait:)

5. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

The Oculus rift was being demonstrated at a LAN I was at recently and although I just walked around wearing it for 30 seconds it looks absolutely amazing and there is very little lag compared to what I expected.

6. Parge

Yep, anyone that can't see how its going to change certain genres forever is out of touch.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Out of interest, is there anyone here who is long-sighted who have tried the OR? If so, how was the experience?

Right at the beginning of development they said it would be a problem for long-sighted people, but I now hear that they have included different attachments to help cater for it.

Being a massive fan of Track-IR, I can only see the OR as something that is taking this to the next level and I will sulk if my eyes can't use it!

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Hmmm... I'm long sighted in one eye. Bugger nuts. Probably fine.

It does look like super awesome.

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I dont think you have to worry about that as you can wear your glasses in it, and there are differing cups. I am just learning about it myself.

I bought one today with Tuesday 26th delivery date.

I am really looking forward to trying it out.

One of the reasons I bought it was some what, was not charity, but I want to demostrate it to a number of team mates.

Im running a decent gaming PC with a 660ti gtx or what ever, powering a asus 3d screen.

Not to sound stupid but whats the wiring like for the Oculus Rift? I see there is an external box with hdmi in, and dvi? how do you wire is to you can control on the screen and then once your running you put the rift on?

I like the look of that demo BLUE PEBBLE, actually looks like the perfect demo. I want to set up a 5min demo window with some team mates if any one has any must dos to show the power of the rift feel free to mention here. Im sure Ill get it all figured out in time by reading the rift forums.

10. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Found this...

Looks like the cups may be helpful to those who are short/near sighted but not for those who are long sighted. The answer to my original question can't be answered until the consumer unit is out, as it seems there would need to be changes to support those who wear glasses.

I have read since that a lot of the OR team actually wear glasses themselves and that they are committed to making the OR comfortable for those that wear glasses.

For me, contact lenses are out as because I am long sighted, I only need to wear glasses in certain situations (looking at things that are close) other times, I do not need them.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I had a chat to some gane devs at Rezzed earlier in the year.

Though I didnt ask about being long sighted. He said that the display is so close to the eye that you can use it without glasses.

Unless you are totally blind :lol:

I have had a go and quite enjoyed the experience.

I will wait for a cost effective total emersion gear.

Would love to play an fps like that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

12. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Apparently this is set to release Q3/Q4 next year according to a few things I've read. Has anyone heard anything different? I can't wait, had a hard time resisting the dev kit...

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

How do you load up the demos into a rift, I just downloaded a demo that is on the show case forum but it has no extention, do you load it into the SDK or some other software?

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I want it so bad too, but there is one little concern.
    What's with the nausea (motion sickness) that comes with longer use of VR?
    Does it happen here too?

I remember I played Doom ages ago on very old VR helmet (huge old junk with thick cables etc).
    My friend puked after 5 minutes of play, I held a bit longer, felt sick after 10.

I'm guessing this will be same?

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Cockpit games should be well suited to the rift since your brain thinks you should be sitting anyway!

17. Parge

It's all to do with the disconnect between perceived movement and lack of movement. It's an issue, but like blogins says, it's not a problem on cockpit based Games. Additionally now they've actually nailed the lag between looking around in real life and it feeding back in game I don't think it'll be a problem for most people. The other thing is, the oculus is such a profound experience, that it's going to be something you have to train your brain to, and once your used to it, you'll be fine. Overall I'm not concerned.

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I love the way he seem to instinctively take his feet of the pedals and flinched as it became clear he wasn't able to pull out of the dive. Now that's immersion!

I'm not convinced it's suited to all games, but it seems like it would be amazingly immersive for anything where you character is seated in game. I'm thinking racing games, flight/space sims... heck I want a bobsled simulator :)

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have had the rift for a few days now, this is my first weekend with it.

The first time I put it on I had no idea..........

Its absolutely mind blowing, its is fantasic, brilliant, WOUNDEFULL.

It is a teleportation device for your mind, any one that basicly uses... their computer for graphics or gaming.... you absolutely have to try one 100%.

What I did was set up a t3600 dell with a quadro 4000, and demostarted to several people and they were god smacked... words like OMFG, fasinating.. non stop chuckling from the lawer girl

I think whats interesting is that before rift, I didnt have any impression other than maybe lucid dreaming as a measurement point of what this tool does, Blue Marble demo is amazing, it is just a mile stone in the evolution of computing and gaming, and to be honest Bit tech should really be explaining to you people just how important this rift device is, its fcking insane.. its a game changer 1million percent

You can go into this rift tool and have your own indoor full scale cinema.. like you will be in your own cincima for real and see just like it is when you really go to one.

Im just getting up to speed on it but it is truely an amazing life moment as far as im concenred, the scale and impression of depth and distance and imersion is some thing to behond man, it really is, you have to put one on its as simple as that.

All these big screns being sold, that whole market is going to change.... the way we interact with each other, the way we trade and work and have entertainment will be completly altered.

Industry and markets are going to change because of this tool. its going to take another 12 months, to 24 months but when the HD version comes out, every thing is going to change, we will be able to use bit coin in agreed defacto junctors, cyberspace will have its facebook.

its beautyfull, some thing from the future.

Also fellow rifters.., have I have overstated blue marble here?

Spent around $30 so far supporting athors of content of this and will continue to do so, if its amazing in the rift and it cost a far price ping me and I will purchase it.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Curious how Movies work in the rift, can you tell us more rainbowbridge?