1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals PC Tool Kit Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A13UK, 15 Oct 2013.

1. A13UK

A13UK What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I am not really sure about which section this belongs in, but this sub-forum seems the best fit. I’m going to start taking apart and putting together old-ish PCs and figured a building kit (screwdrivers and all that) would be needed. I’ve seen a few online, but it seems they are cheaply made and only good for one use – or so the reviews say. I will also need thermal paste and a can of compressed air (not sure on what brands). Also, with thermal paste, once opened, does it dry out? Probably a silly question, but I thought I would ask.

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd sack all the rubbish kits off and just get half-decent (i.e. good amateur) tools tbh.

A sample basket of my choices:
    [​IMG]
    Pick a couple of those screwdrivers you like (a long and short) and pack it all into a small toolbox. Sorted.

For thermal goop I'd pick up the cheapest available - there's very little difference between them if you're not chasing temps. In fact, I've been recycling the stuff that comes free with heat sinks for years. Never known it go off, although sometimes it can separate a little.

3. A13UK

A13UK What's a Dremel?

Some great stuff there; thank you for your input. The Draper screwdriver looks good; pity they don't do the same one in 'short form' (as in a shorter base). Now to hunt for a small-ish toolbox.

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I'd add...

1. Cable ties of various sizes.
    2. A brush of some kind.
    3. ESD gear and spare anti static bags (put components in the bags when they are going to be out of the machine for extended periods of time).
    4. TIM cleaner
    5. Spare cables (SATA, Molex converters, legacy leads, video cables etc).
    6. Known working common components e.g. Graphics card PCI-e/AGP, memory of various types, Hard Disks.
    7. Working PSU or a PSU tester

All things that aren't essential, but invaluable in some situations!

5. A13UK

A13UK What's a Dremel?

Krikkit, thank you for your reply - look to be good suggestions. Pity I can't seem to find a similar screwdriver to the draper (I will forgo the Silverline) but with a shorter base (as per your suggestion).

MrJay - right now, those are not necessary - but will be in the future, so thank you too.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

2nd on the cable ties actually, extremely useful!

The rest are good suggestions, although I was thinking more along the lines of essential hardware rather than "nice to have". :)

7. A13UK

A13UK What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the double post; didn't realise posts need approving. I should have mentioned that they are not (currently) necessary for what I am doing - bar the wrist band. But yeah, as a profession or something, they are essential. Thanks again.

8. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Twist ties if you can't get your hands on cable/zip ties

9. Vaiix

Vaiix What's a Dremel?

If you're not going to do it often, set yourself up near a radiator. They're earthed so once you touch it you dissipate all the anti-static electricity you're conducting.

Or so I'm told, followed this rule for a number of years and not had a problem. Depending on your lighting situation (my house has numerous dimmer switches) you could grab one of those head torches to help with lighting. Situational but a thought.

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Cordless screwdriver. Greatest tool I have ever owned.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

as a tip for cable ties, CPC farnell have dirt cheap cable ties and they give free delivery on all orders.

I've got about 600 now, :D

12. suragh

suragh Derp

The draper precision set (that krikkit linked) is what I am currently using. I have had no problems with the extensions/screwdriver, I think its a very good bit of kit, for the price.

13. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

and one or two pen drives with hiren bootcd or something similar and a couple of OS's at least that's one of my main tools lol

14. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

You haven't built a pc until you have built it using nothing but a Philips screwdriver and pair of scissors :)

MOBO - Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 CPU - i5 2500K @4.8ghz COOLER - Corsair H80 GPU - MSI Twin Frozr Gaming GTX 770 OC 2GB MEMORY - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Quad PSU - OCZ ZS Series 750W CASE - Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl SOUND - Asus Xonar DG STORAGE - Samsung 250GB 840 SSD & 2TB HDD PERIPHERALS - Corsair K60 & M60 with Corsair HS1A Headset

15. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

What were the scissors for?