1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4670k Folding - GPU Advice

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Bikerz, 5 Oct 2013.

1. Bikerz

Bikerz Bikerz

Hi all

I have a 4670k and asus Z87 on the way. I have been out of folding for a while and need advice on what else to order.

Memory, how much (8Gb?) I presume I need 4 matched modules to make best of quad channel DDR3? Should I worry about speed etc... or spend this on getting a better GFX card?

I have only ordered a Asus Z87 non crossfire and SLI board, so rather just buy one GFX card.
    Any advice on good £ / PPD? I dont worry about running costs as Im not paying electric.

This brings nicely onto PSU, any advice?

Cheers

Sheldon

2. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

ATI is looking good lately for $$/PPD. I have a 7970 that I picked up for around $300 (US) and it nets me around 110k PPD. I replaced my GTX 650 Ti & 660 Ti, use less power and get more PPD! If you sit tight for a week or two from now, some numbers should start coming up on the R9 290 and 290X. They may be worth looking into if the price isn't too great. If they're more than $450 or so, it likely wouldn't be worth the investment.

As for PSU, I'd suggest a gold or platinum 90+ PSU. I got a good 850W Platinum 90+ one for around $100. It was a great deal!