1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia G-Sync unveiled as stunning new monitor syncing tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

As long as they aren't ridiculously expensive, I'd consider buying one. It's about darn time that they took a look at fixing this problem. I've always been annoyed at having to chose between great looking cut scenes/gameplay with no tearing or smoother gameplay with tearing on certain titles. I was getting tearing in Metro LL last time I played it, but when I turned v-sync on, I got a detectable performance hit. That's probably why I haven't fired the game up lately. Even small amounts of tearing annoys the heck out of me.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I can see this as a Good Thing but unless the technology is made available to AMD and Intel I hope it doesn't catch on.

This sort of thing should be for the Greater Good.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Surely it's for AMD/Intel to reverse engineer, not Nvidia to give out for free?

It is something that has been a problem for years and, by the sounds of what's been written in the live blogs, something that Nvidia has being trying to solve for years.

EDIT: That said, it seems Nvidia is open to possibly licensing the technology to other hardware vendors.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2013
  5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

/grammar nazi :D

6. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Cheers. Fixed.

7. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

sown*

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"control of the montior's framerate"

er......

9. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

'bout bloody time!!

\o/

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Oh yes. The want is strong.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've got a 24" monitor coming with it early next year.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Um, ok. Weird product. I would have to buy a new monitor and a new gpu. I'll pass.

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

As I run 3 displays I won't be replacing anytime soon this technology, however cool is of limited use to me. Now, if they throw it on an oculus...

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

But what panel is it?

I'd be interested in this technology, but would never want to look at TN screen again in my life. Problem is most gamer monitors are TN panels and marketed based on TN panel's lower refresh rate.

15. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

i hope amd starts using this with their apu dual graphics.... they've shown a lot of progress on micro-stuttering recently, and now the only real problem with an apu crossfire is the variable framerates.... if they can mimic this the apu will completely dominate the low-mid market on price-performance o.o

16. richms

richms What's a Dremel?

Im more interested in if this will allow seemless shifts between 24/50/60 Hz modes for when playing video.

Mind you, I thought that changing the refresh rate on the fly was supposed to come with displayport...

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're rating all TN's the same - they aren't. Modern TN's are practically the same as eIPS in many facets, but you won't get 120+Hz from an IPS without clear problems.

It does change refresh rate on the fly, and with GPU accelerated video it should sync the video frame rate to the monitors. I don't know the limitations though. EDIT: 2D refresh rates don't go below 60Hz, but it depends whether they class GPU accelerated video as '2D'.

I just heard Nvidia is making a modification kit for VG248QEs available by year end as well ($175). It's a custom Nvidia chip (with what looks like frame buffer), which is why it's not a cheap thing, and also why AMD/Intel won't have it without some serious reverse engineering I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Oct 2013
  18. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Didnt triple buffering solve this problem, only that many developers werent implementing it in game?

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I understand intel/amd can reverse engineer it most probably but how about onpliance? What if I had an nvida.and switches to AMD would that mean I have to replace.my.monitors as well?

20. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

any word that it might be implemented into TVs as well?

Tags: Add Tags