1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other AMD back in the black (or green)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 19 Oct 2013.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Nice they made a profit, still a long way to go to get out of trouble. Clearing the debt pile which is above $2bil would be a starter point. All profit came from Gpu deals with Microsoft / Sony if these are 1 off ( no clue how the latest console deals have been worked out, no information has been given in that reguard) then they will be back to square one next time.

3. AlienwareAndy

Both consoles and pretty much a domination on the GPU market = kerching

Their CPUs are also becoming more desirable as every day passes.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

That's good the see. AMD have always had some good products !

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

5. rollo

rollo Modder

The Cpus maybe desireable but nobody is buying them acording to the link you give. There Cpu devision again dropped in income.

6. AlienwareAndy

It's probably a tiny drop in the ocean but they seem to be really gathering momentum on enthusiast sites. Obviously us enthusiasts make up a tiny piece of the big picture but it's nice to see them gaining users :)

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What?

8. AlienwareAndy

Price to performance now Nvidia make nothing worth buying. Not only that but AMD offer incentives such as free game packs etc.

This translates into what I see on forums all the time. Hardly any one is buying Nvidia right now unless they are buying stupid expensive cards. At the high end gaming level (280x 7970 770 etc) AMD are miles out ahead. I wish I'd not bothered with Nvidia now and waited out the Crossfire fix because Mantle could really make owning an Nvidia card quite annoying.

We'll see I guess.

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Dude, can I have some of that crack you're smoking?

Loads of people on here are buying NVIDIA cards every day. Sure, some people have been holding out for the 290X, and are still waiting, but the 270 and 280 seem to have hardly made a splash.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2013
  10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I was going to type a response to Andy but I just can't be bothered - it must be nice to have such unrelenting faith in something that is based on no hard evidence...

11. rollo

rollo Modder

You get used to Andys 1 sided arguments lol.

Mantle not been the console API means its pretty much worthless as Nvidia Physics. Niether will ever get huge momentum except in sponsored titles.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

whilst its not for xbox , it is for PS4

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Till AMD Say with 100% certain it is we shall see. As last I checked Sony uses there own API.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Sweeny in the latest dev confrence has pretty much confirmed that the API in the ps4 is not Mantle. As he talks about having to code for all the different APIs that are out there now. And the xbox and ps4 have there own acording to him.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7437/tim-sweeney-johan-andersson-john-carmack-nv-montreal-live-blog

link below to the live blog

they basically discuss mantle as ulitmately something that could be great but it will be horible if everyone makes a low level API ( Sony, Nvidia, Microsoft, AMD ) As they would be coding for 4 different platforms effectively.

15. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Bought a MSI GTX 760 3 weeks ago from Scan.
    Great card great value.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

This thread is funny.

17. AlienwareAndy

I run two GTX 670s in SLI. However, even I know when one product is massively better value and where it lies performance wise.

If I were buying a GPU now then it would be AMD hands down.

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

What if you were going to use two GPUs? And on larger monitors? Or 3D? Or multiple monitors? It is horses for courses and Nvidia are getting away with what they are doing price wise because they are ahead performance wise and by the looks of it still will be. The middle ground value segment is probably too contended anyway where you would rely on shipping masses of units for less margin.

Currently if you wanted performance you would choose nvidia and if you wanted value you'd have to do your homework. I.e. probably looking to previous gen AMD and nvidia cards, game choice, monitor resolution and whether you even need a bloody discreet one at all.

Edit: it is great that they are doing better but with the issues they have faced it is still uphill. Just loom at the microstutter issue. Thry were so far behind there that it wasn't funny. Kudos for working hard on the fix but it is illustrative of where they are right now: playing catch up.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

There is more to factor in than res, price ect.. Drivers!

I've had nothing but grief with the green teams. Gotta say the way things are with Nvidias drivers at the moment and in fact the whole time I've had my card, that next time I upgrade I'm going back to AMD. I didn't have issues with their drivers though I have often heard people complain about them. Just lucky I suppose.

I actually didn't change my Nvidia driver for ages because of the issues I'd had. So I was on 306.23 for quite some time because it was stable. Figured I'd go for 327.23 as it seemed about time.. Then my pc started freezing and then crashing. I thought a component was on its way out! Nope. It was their shitty drivers and has been happening for some time according to the forums. 314.22 is at least is stable. Can't see me trying any others for a loooong time.

Oh and on topic :worried:

I'm really pleased AMDs future is looking up. It would be tragic if they went down. Actually it would be tragic if either company did. Both are needed for competition and they do make excellent hardware. Shame that both sides seem to be rather spotty at providing the masses with stable drivers.

20. AlienwareAndy

I had nothing but issues with every ATI or AMD set up I ever had. That included...

Two 5770s in Crossfire X (we all know why now, stutter heaven).

6970 Lightning.

For 3D Nvidia rule the roost. Tridef is bloody awful. However 3D is incredibly niche and not enough to butter Nvidia's bread.

Two GPUs one screen? Nvidia or AMD take your pick. Two GPUs on multiple screens? Nvidia hands down. Crossfire is still buggered in Eyefinity.

But more than anything it's always about one thing and one thing only - [price. And AMD are leading by miles, given they give you £100 worth of free games with their GPUs.