1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam The Dead Linger

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JD_LincsUK, 14 Oct 2013.

1. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Anyone got this alpha?

I spotted it at the weekend on Steam, but only just now had time to investigate.

I think it looks promising, but I'm a bit miffed at Steam, as they are charging £14.99 for alpha access. The Devs say it should be $19.99 (which is £12.50) and the beta will be $24.99 - which is what Steam are pretty much charging for the alpha ($24).

I get really mad at these gits - I can guarantee that the devs won't be seeing the extra that Steam is charging us in the UK - regardless of if it's only a couple of quid - it's the principle. And because of that greed, I won't be buying it - even though yes, I do want it. I'll wait until release version, whenever that may be, and a Steam sale - and probably get the full monty for the same as they are now charging for the alpha.

Thanks Steam - I don't hate you for nothing! :thumb:

http://www.thedeadlinger.com/info

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

A small thought, £12.50 plus 20%VAT is £15 exactly, purchases in the UK/Europe Steam store pay VAT, which presumably the direct sales to Sandswept don't.

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It is looking very raw at the moment (as I would expect), but I am tempted!

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I thought publishers always set the prices on steam (and when and how much they take off when in a sale)

5. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Well, if it was exclusive VAT it should say so (pet hate of mine - such as D3DGear, when comparing prices - looks competitive when you look around the sites, but add the VAT - which the competition already had in their headline prices - and it's another story).

However, I was talking just a little tongue-in-cheek and I had bought the alpha ;)
    (and I also bought D3DGear)

Not tried it yet, though - about to download it this morning. I must admit, I'm hoping it will fill the void that DayZ left when they started making it too shooter-like and less using your wits to survive the infestation, as it was in the beginning.

Also, The Dead Linger is SP based, with co-op and MP modes, rather than the other way round (at the moment at least), so I don't care what other players do, I can get on with my own thing. Hope it stays that way through the beta and to 'release' version. In fact - it's going just the way I was saying would be how I would like DayZ to be (in that thread) - with simple firearms the norm instead of Armalites and Kalashnikovs, which most people wouldn't find, let alone have the first clue about how to operate or maintain correctly.

6. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Hmmm, after a couple of days playing this, I wouldn't recommend it to try, unless you want to save on the price of the beta or release versions.

It is very much an alpha - buggy as hell, which of course, I took into account before buying. I did hope to be able to at least play a little bit, though - but no, it just doesn't happen.

The firearms are not working - they said it will be fixed in a couple of updates' time ( acouple of weeks or so), so you have to rely on 'melee' to defend yourself against the very many zombies - and so far I have been completely unable to swing anything at a zombie - so I've died a lot, and before I could check much out, too. I was so chuffed when I found a Fender (guitar) - no kidding, you can use it to bash them with! - but as I couldn't swing it, it was useless (can't even play "Stairway to Heaven" on it...) :rock:

As soon as you get into a building, the Z's start breaking in, unless you go around barricading the doors and windows - but you rarely have time, even if you can get the barricading to work. Then you have to defend yourself - and with the aforementioned problems, it ain't gonna happen. Also I find myself being bitten by seemingly invisible Z's, too! Maybe they are the other side of a wall and the bug is they can bite you through it - I'm not sure.

Thing is, it doesn't let you have a good look at what is there - at least, I've not been able to. So I'm going to leave it for at least a couple of months and then try again. There is a "Roadmap" (since Clinton - or was it Carter? - that seems to be what everyone calls a 'plan' these days!) on the devs website, but it only mentions what will be released, not when.

So there ya have it :)

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Hmm - I think I will leave it a while then. I am still smarting after parting with real life cash for The WarZ, which was awful whichever way you looked at it.

I am not saying that this is the same a WarZ by the way as that was a special type of scam! Like you, I just will wait until they have got a bit further down the road!

8. JD_LincsUK

JD_LincsUK Dad's ArmA

Best thing, I think.

I know that dev plans get delayed etc, but there seems to be a bit of a mess-up in info as well.

I try to find out what is going on via their forum (as Steam has apparently been neglecting to offer updates) but it's a bit of a mess, with having to search through the usual dross from 'fans' to try and find the stuff that you want to find out.

I read an announcement by Sandswept that version 11 would be released in a' a few days' - that was last month. Then I read in a player's area of the forum that there will be at least another 3 hotfixes to the current version, 10 - so that blows the version 11 statement out of the water.

Then I read last week that the next hotfix was going through final testing and was expected to be released by the end of the weekend just gone. Nothing doing - and also no-one telling what is going on.

Sort of reminds me very much of DCS.

If you offer something to the public for money, regardless if it's alpha, beta, RC or release version, you have to let those people know what is going on. If you don't you run the risk of it being slated as a piece of unsupported rubbish - and that kind of thing spreads very quickly on the web these days, regardless. And then it flops.