1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad Air and new Retina iPad mini unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Im just confused with the iPad now and the iPad mini retina is ridiculously priced.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

A none Retina mini was the same price in the uk as the retina one is now ( £319 give or take, £399 for main one). American prices look a bit nuts but I dont live in america.

Wont be buying either, waiting for my surface pro 2 to arive.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh, there's some new Apple stuff? OK.

*pats wallet and goes back to his Nexus 7*

5. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

wasn't there already an Ipad 2?

6. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Precisely.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Looks like a nice update to the ipad and that res on the mini makes it an attractive device.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Apple aren't very good at counting are they.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Better than most game devs, not that that's anything to be proud of.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So in order we had:

iPad
    iPad 2
    The New iPad [that was and still is genuinely it's official name]
    iPad with Retina Display
    iPad Air

imo they should have stuck to their ipod naming strategy and refer to them by generation - 1st gen., 2nd gen. etc...

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Who cares about the naming? Look at the graphics cards from nVidia or AMD :lol:

The new iPad mini got a nice screen-resolution unmatched by any other manufacturer for a 7" device, and the new iPad Air just got it's name by the fact that it got alot lighter and thinner, just like the MacBookAir.

I'm happy with my iPad3 for entertainment and some browsing in the interwebs and I don't plan to replace it until it breaks.

12. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

I really don't care too much about resolution, personally. Remember: the GPU has to render every pixel. More pixels means more power required. More power required means less battery life.

Also, PPI. Beyond some point, it becomes harder for the human eye to distinguish one pixel from another. So, those pixels become wasted.

Yes, I do agree that my Thrive's PPI is km the low side, but when I hold it a short distance away, 720p vids aren't too bad.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Exactly,

does a 7" device really need more resolution than an average 24"monitor?
    There's no content available above 1080 anyway, and I don't rerally suppose anyone using these uses high res video's. Couldn't stream 50GB's of bluray onto there anyway.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Precisely. These are portable devices, so good battery life and a good quality screen - that doesn't necessarily mean "retina" levels of resolution - are more important to me than the resolution and PPI count.

Apple used to harp on about quality carrying a premium, and then the likes of Amazon & Google came along and showed everyone that you can have quality without the premium price tag. Now Apple are the ones launching lower-cost phones and tablets. Hopefully people will start to realise that, trend setters they may be, but Apple are charging you a bloody fortune for their badge. I doubt it though.

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Apple seem to have lost their direction since Jobs went.

Still don't like any of it though.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've always been nonplussed by how Apple manages to convince people that it's a company built on firsts. Every single success Apple has had, from the very first Apple Computer, has been the result of spotting something somebody else has done and jumping on the bandwagon. Literally everything. Apple didn't create the first home computer, the first graphical user interface, the first laptop, the first metal-bodied laptop, the first all-in-one, the first personal data assistant, the first MP3 player, the first smartphone, the first tablet, the first mobile app store, the first high-resolution tablet, the first high-resolution laptop, the first desktop app store, or - for this latest announcement - the thinnest tablet. 7.55mm? That's nice, Apple. I'll stick with the 6.9mm Xperia Tablet Z I've got charging on my desk right now.

Where Apple excels is in following trends early enough that it looks like it's setting trends. While it can certainly be argued that Apple got where it is today by doing things better than anyone else (depending on whether you're of the opinion that 'shinier and more expensive' is 'better') the company can never be accused of doing things before anyone else.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

QFT

+1

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Your right in a way and wrong in another, they may not of made the first in anything but in mp3 , smartphones, tablets they made the first that people actually wanted to buy in large numbers. Similar thing with all in one pc, and they are still the only ultrabook manufacture who has posted a profit from it.

Take the smartphone market there's 2 profitable manufactures in the entire industry, all the rest have lost so much money they are going broke, been brought out, or going under. Tablets is the exact same story. MP3 was the same thing.

Apple don't care for tech people anymore than they care for Apple but its a tiny market they are missing out on. They just sell to the rest of the market.

Apple does one thing better than any other hardware manufacture it creates a buzz for its products in marketing and awareness then it gives big launch events. Then 1 week later you can buy it. Look at AMD they mensioned the r290x 1month plus we still have no launch date or price.

Took 6 months for the orginal surface pro to reach anywhere outside of USA.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dude, have you seen Apple's pricing? If A. N. Other Ultrabook manufacturer charged what Apple does for the same spec, they'd be making a profit too! (Full disclaimer: I have a 2013 MacBook Air 13.3". I hate the bleedin' thing. Oh, the hardware's pretty nice, but by god the operating system is a slog.)

20. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think the Nokia 2520 kind of pissed on Apples bonfire with the earlier conference. Yesterday felt like"Wow, a good well designed and well priced Nokia tablet" and then later " What? another iPad with not really that much changed"

Tags: Add Tags