1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Multiple Mics connected to one android device.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisc1277, 26 Oct 2013.

1. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

Hello!

Not sure if ive posted this in the right section, but bear with me...

Basically long story short, Im messing around with an nexus 7, lightwaverf, tasker and a bunch of other bits and pieces.

Addictive as it is, what has turned from just been able to turn my TV on and dim the lights when i watch a movie in my living room, has now exploded into the automation of other rooms. Pretty exciting stuff.

What the idea is, is to wall mount the tablet in the hall way. It can be used as a touchscreen control unit or i can send commands remotely via my phone. But what I've been messing around with lately is voice commands.

These commands work great when im sat in my living room with the tablet on the coffee table. But eventually i will want the tablet in my hall way. But i don't fancy using a megaphone for it to hear me.

What i want is a Mic in each room. I ideally don't want to use my phone, as id like to be able to give commands without moving to get my phone. But somehow have a fixed mic hidden behind various things in rooms. i.e behind the sofa. behind the bedhead and somewhere in the kitchen.

is it possible to connect multiple mics to an android device? if so how? because after research, Bluetooth wont allow more than one and i cant seem to find my answer anywhere.

any ideas / suggestions / brain storms would be really appreciated.

Cheers
    Chris

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Dout its possible unless you could use the usb connection to do it but I have my douts. Bluetooth is limited to 1 device as you have found out yourself.

Depends if andriod can pick up stuff connected to it by usb or not, If it can detect the mics then you could simply use a usb box and connect that to it.

3. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Well I guess if you had several mics with both of their pins connected together directly, and then maybe passing through a small pre amp before going into one mic slot that might work. Only issue would be if two people give a command at the same time then the software would struggle, but that would probably be the case anyway.

4. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

Couple of possible ideas. I currently use an android based media box under my TV which I tried plugging in a USB audio soundcard I got off eBay. It worked, but if I mounted it I'd need the power cord plugged in at all times. I wonder if you could get a USB Hub connected, but connect multiple mics but still allow it to charge.

I also require the 3.5mm audio jack for audio output to my stereo, which is plugged to speakers wired in to every room. I assume the audio jacks on tablets are both inputs ans outputs , like a hands free ones for mobiles?

Had a think into WiFi mics. Do they exist? What about using a really cheap/ old android smartphone and use it as some sort of WiFi mic?