1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Batman: Arkham Origins Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 29 Oct 2013.

1. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

293hrs hahahahahahahahahahaha

you liked the game so good on you. but damn this made me laugh.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Unfortunately it is the state of play at the moment. Developers are forced to reach deadlines to compete with other developer's games release dates to maximise sales, and due to the nature of PC's, not all hardware will work the same way so compatibility testing is a huge task.

I do remember despite having to wait at least a month for both the Arkham Asylum and Arkham city to iron out all the bugs, it didn't stop me playing through and enjoying it thoroughly though those first months.

Games like Rome II on the other hand I'm going to wait for at least a few patches to come out before I start thinking about playing that again.

It surprised me too, but I think some of that time was spent whilst alt-tabbing out of the game and browsing the internet, or even benchmarking.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't much care for these sorts of games, so the review score is right up my street.

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Regarding Gareth's anecdote, he's talking about a console. It's simply unacceptable for a game to be game breakingly buggy for a console. No buts.

Regarding click bait. Trust me, an article like this is not link bait. Had it been titled "Arkham origins - worst game ever?" Then maybe.

Regarding whether reviews are about purchase advice. No clearly that's not the only point. We also aim to to make them entertaining and informative but the indication of whether to buy is still the bottom line.

5. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I'm not joking. I'm not saying its okay games launch a buggy broken mess but I buy very few games in their first month of release.

Not that it always helps, having just replayed Arkham asylum and City back to back the last 2 weeks I encountered numerous bugs in both. AA actually crashed me to the desktop 3 times in a row when trying to leave the morgue.

I waited years to play Far Cry 2 and at the very start of the game a character is leaning against a doorway while sliding up and down it, clipping through the ceiling and floor. Which was the least of my problems with that game.

Waiting around 6 months means you get the game in a fitter state and for at least half the price. Win win.

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

The internet might not be the place for you if you can't handle criticism.

Were on the topic of discussing video games. What I know about you on this topic is entirely based on what information you've provided. You stated you only made it 15 minutes into AC and batman games (not even sure which ones). Are you really that naive that you can't acknowledge how your view of the games might be skewed based on the fact that you didn't even play them?

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  7. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

Obviously a review is just an opinion and the score should reflect the reviewer's feelings, but 30%? Wow, considering the higher scores handed out to what I would consider far lesser games, 30 percent really stinks of an unbalanced point of view.

AO re-treads a by-now well trodden formula and there is a lack of much that's genuinely innovative but why such a low score? This review fixates and accentuates all of the negative aspects and doesn't really say anything positive about it. Point being that however bad you think it is, it's not THAT bad.

I hope if you're going lambaste games for their lack of innovation or originality, or otherwise over reliance on same rubbish different name, that COD and Battlefield are going to be receiving equally low scores from your reviewers. Because unless they each bring something that is utterly ground breaking to the table, which neither shall, then surely neither deserve more than, what? 60% - apparently that's how BT's reviews are now weighted.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm now getting further into the story and loving it more and more. At first I was under the impression that there wasn't much new from the old formula but what Warner have implemented has made things much more fun in battles.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I think i seen that kind of problem before, but where it was.... Ah, i know ! Arkham City completely deleted save files. Didn't corrupt them - deleted them. So nothing new to see here :).

Rocksteady Studios, not Rockstar.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Exactly what I found! It gets better and better.

11. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I once knew a scouse Batman, he couldn't go out without Robin

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

:hehe:

13. Thorton Reed

Thorton Reed Professional ball-buster

Did they try justifying this score?

Fair enough, I have a hard justifying this site as a place for game reviews.

14. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I haven't played this game yet but I do have a code for it (came with an Nvidia card) so I thought I'd read the review to see your thoughts (amongst others) to see if it was worth the download.

A lot of what has been said of this game in the review is how I felt about Arkham City. I've read so many comments on AC about how great it was; when personally I didn't like it. I've just looked on Steam and I have played Asylum for over 70 hours and still love it. I played AC for 2 and a half hours and got bored. It was the same thing again but a bigger world and the fights were pretty much the same but with more villians. To me it didn't grow and evolve, it just got fatter.

I personally wouldn't have given AC more than 50% and if Origins is just another re-hash (but with glitches and crashes) then I can understand the rating of 30%. Not having played it I can't agree / disagree but I can understand it from what I read.

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I think most users just come here for the forums. The front page articles took a massive nose dive when ownership changed hands.

16. Thorton Reed

Thorton Reed Professional ball-buster

Looks more like the lunatics took over the asylum :)

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would just ignore the score and read the comments, I don't think game/film/anything scores are particularly good really.

Just read the opinions and comments on the game, that's what actually matters.

18. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Mind you, I also knew a scouse Red Indian, he was called, erm ahem.........Angonamo.......I'll get me coat

19. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

I agree with the score.

AO is a glorified expansion pack with reused assets, hell, it doesn't differ from AC apart from the falling snow (best thing in the game) and reskinned Batman and henchmen...
    Story is pure shambles, written by a committee of fanboys without any focus or logic.

It seems WB has decided to go back to their roots of releasing ****, licensed games, developed by their in-house hacks who are way cheaper than professionals at Rocksteady...

20. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Totally agree!

This game is admittedly similar to the other ones but the game is brilliant fun!

Tags: Add Tags