1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony drops MP3, CD, DLNA support from PS4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Oct 2013.

1. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

DNLA is a big loss for me, the missus likes to play CD's through it and we also have an MP3 library - is it never going to be there or is it just missing at launch.

I will never be an early taker of either xbone or ps4 - However, decisions of this nature will have an impact on my decision making process. That is to say the console that ticks the most boxes will have more chance of getting my money (eg: play used games, DLNA, Blu-Ray, CD's, DVD's and MP3's as well as playing games).

Generally speaking, taking away popular existing features of current consoles is pretty bad product management, especially if they expect the new consoles to have any sort of longevity.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2013
  2. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

PS: Can someone link the website where we need to make our feelings known......I'd prefer to give Sony every opportunity to reverse this decision before I cross the PS4 (and probably every other Sony product) off of my wish list.

3. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

"Sony has released a list of factoids..."

And then I read the whole thing with the voice of Steve Wright.

But... yeah, won't play CDs or digital media? Not a huge loss, but when you see something designed for the lounge that takes discs that size, you kind of assume it'll play them, especially when branded Sony. I foresee a lot of phone calls to Sony's tech support.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Tbh, we use our PS3 more as a DNLA client than for anything else, I guess this means that we won't be buying a PS4 - cue some disappointed kids this xmas.

As a DNLA client it works perfectly streaming from my Synology NAS.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm hoping they patch DLNA support back in - indeed, the same can be done for MP3 etc. In some ways it seems that Sony are somewhat rushing to get the PS4 out on the market, and software features are getting hit.

Like the PS3, I expect things to improve over time. The launch PS3 did hardly anything apart from games...

EDIT:
    https://twitter.com/yosp/status/395661158205501440

Looks like I may be right.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

What difference does it make? You plug it in, set it up, connect to your net, perform an update and you're good to go. How is that different to a computer, phone or tablet having updates waiting for when you first receive it?

7. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Can't play Blu-Ray or DVDs fresh out of the box? That sounds like a big oversight to me. I wonder if it can even read a game disc without updating. :rolleyes:

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Quite funny really given the abuse MS got earlier in the year that forced a U turn, dropping support for some of this stuff on the PS4 seems like a much bigger deal, but nobody seems to mind.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Welp, good thing Dark Souls 2 is coming on PS3. Looks like I'll be skipping this generation entirely, DLNA was huge for me.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Biggest news of the day is whats not been posted on these sites

Cod will be 1080p on ps4 but only 720p on xbox
    BF 4 will be 1080p on ps4 but only 720p on xbox

2 big cross platform games getting the better graphical treatment.

11. Pinguu

Pinguu Noot Noot!

A list of factoids? So a list of statements presented as fact but without any evidence?

12. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

to be honest that is not an issue compared to DLNA support for me. I sit far enough away from my 26" tv i couldn't tell the difference.

my 2p worth

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed, makes you wonder sometimes, negative Sony stuff gets jumped on right away. BF4 is not 1080p on ps4 though its 900p, Cod is indeed 1080 v 720 though.

Sounds like the X1 has a good scaler inside that makes up for a lot and Sonys needs work, it is software though so it can happen, early days in the firmware of both machines, hardware wise there is not a lot between the 4 and the 1 to explain the 50% performance hit the 1 takes over the 4, can only assume that MS needs to put its OS on a diet and get tweaking the firmware.

The machines firmwares you get at launch will differ a great deal from what they support 6 months down the line.

14. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Depends on how you look at it really.

Yes the apparent lack of power could be an issue for Xbox One but then again it's not like you're really going to see that much of a difference between games from multi-platform releases once it all settles down, given the state of the Xbox One launch event, it wouldn't surprise me if Dice/Infinity Ward could possibly have had 6 months with the XB1 dev kits and couldn't get it as optimised as they could for PS4 dev kits which they might have had since the beginning of the year.

Also unless you sit PC type of distances then this slight lack of resolution is negligible.

And as someone else has mentioned the upscaling from MS seems to be pretty good on a software side of things as to be honest when you watch the videos released for PS4 (1600x900) and Xbox One (1280x720) versions of BF4 there are times when the PS4 looks worse than the Xbox One and similarly there are times when the Xbox One looks worse than PS4. Ultimately all that matters for both consoles is a smooth FPS (albeit 30 or 60) and a boost over old tech, let's be real the consoles are never going to be suitable for BF4 Ultra at 1080p.

The issue in the article is a bigger news item to me as it looks to me like Sony are trying to force you to use their Music Unlimited / Video rental services rather than use the PS4 as a streaming device which I know a lot of people use their PS3/X360 to do at present. Again there is always the chance that 6 months or so Sony decide that this is the wrong move and update firmware to alter this but we'll see further down the line.

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

None of it is going to break your ps3s ability so you are not loosing that, no backwards compat in the 4, same between 360 and 1, so its not like you can ditch the 3 for a 4, your 3 will remain, which is the biggest shame of the upcoming gen imo as I don't have space under my TV for another box, so something has to go, my Nintendo will no doubt fall on the sword, not that that would solve my HDMI port deficiency.

Like anything in life if you don't like it don't buy it, of course that rarely happens in gaming, typically it's lot of bitching and moaning and people go buy it anyway...or is that just me :D

16. TrevDX

Oh I know that feeling ;)

I have a XB1 on pre-order to play with friends that I've got to know well over the past 7-8 years who aren't (or won't ever be PC gamers). If it weren't for that then I'd probably just spend the money on a bigger SSD and keep playing on PC. However my of love gadgets will also mean that I'll be surprised if I haven't bought a PS4 by June next year when some of the exclusives start releasing.

It just bugs me that an article about quite a big missing feature for some people that won't have both a PS4 and PS3/X360 once next gen is released just gets turned into another "look at how much greater one console is over another console"

17. Xir

Xir Modder

If you can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p...why are we talking about UHD devices anyway?

18. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Raspberry Pi + XBMC will do DNLA, and MP3 playback for £30.
    Ok, the interface is a bit slow, but if that's a problem just buy a cheap laptop with a broken screen off ebay and install XBMC on that.
    Don't most people on bit-tech already own a PC that will wipe the floor with a console anyway?

19. TrevDX

We'll you can to a degree but the main point really is that I'd say Joe Public wouldn't care about the resolution as long as it's smooth frame rates whilst they're sat on their couch looking at a large HDTV.

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

But why would we want yet another box under the TV? I already have a Sky box, Wii and PS3, I also have a WD Media Player but haven't used it since installing the PS3, I don't want another one just because I purchase a PS4 that has less functionality than a PS3.