1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Photography monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TobletDanillio, 16 Oct 2013.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is especially apparent if you've used any of the Eizo and NEC products compared to say...an HP or Dell prosumer.

That said, do budget for a calibrator, you'll find it very useful for every 200-400 hours of use because coloration changes over time. And if you want good panels, I do suggest perhaps looking for 2nd hand NEC 2490WUXis? They're usually not too expensive and you can still find some that have run for sub 1000 hours. They're definitely worth your time and they are still some of the best in non-wide gamut functions.

2. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

well seeing as you can get the i1 Display Pro for £60 ish I will put this on my list of things I need

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Wise choice. Great calibrator... great software. If you print your own work however, the ColorMunki Photo is a good choice as you can profile your printer inks and papers too.

4. TobletDanillio

I currently don't have a printer which make that a bit pointless. Its there any around the same price that are better? or more but much better.

5. Pookeyhead

Than the i1 Display Pro? Nope... for the money that's pretty much the best out there. If all you need is to calibrate a display, there's simply no need to pay more.

6. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

If you don't game much and it's specifically for photography, definetly buy decent IPS panel

7. Pookeyhead

I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested otherwise.

8. TobletDanillio

no sorry its £160

I don't game much but i will be keeping my current monitor which i will use for gaming

9. Pookeyhead

That's what you said originally isn't it?

[edit]

No.. you said 160... I just speed read it as 160 knowing that's how much it costs. Still a bargain. Really no point in buying an expensive screen and not calibrating it.

10. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

well you can definetly buy an IPS monitor with a decent response time for arround £160

11. Elton

To be honest, I still wish for the PVA panels of yore. They might not have had the best viewing angles, but the blacks were fantastic.

12. Pookeyhead

Can't argue with you there. I still miss my Eizo SX3031W.

IPS is great for consistent gamma across a wide viewing angle, but the blacks suck... and that way they glow grey/blue off axis is horrible. Why they stopped using decent polarisers like the old NEC LCD2490WUXi (not WUXi2) I'll never know.

13. TobletDanillio

No i said £60

No the £160 is for a calibration tool then monitor (dell UltraSharp U2412M) is £230 from scan

14. Pookeyhead

LOL.... I meant to type £60.. aaaarghh!! infinity loop... bang!

15. Elton

I own 2 2490WUXis.

You want to know why they stopped using them? Because the polarizers were really expensive and +24" panels had hilariously strange backlight bleed issues. (The 2690WUXi wasn't the most uniform).

That said, you can notice a slight pinkish tint on these at angles but you won't see the gamma differences as badly as non-polarized screens.

LG just simply stopped making the panels. That's pretty much why.

16. The Bear

The Bear What's a Dremel?

17. Pookeyhead

Great monitor that, but you're not making the most of it unless you have a i1 Display Pro to hardware profile it.

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I haven't read the whole thread, so excuse me if this is out of your budget or has been mentioned before:

19. Elton

I took a look at the PA279Q, it's not bad actually. My real gripe though is that Asus monitors still aren't up to snuff and they have an irritatingly bad habit of providing pretty subpar service.

That said, it's still one of the 27" Samsung PLS panels so it should have pretty decent performance. For what it's worth it's not too pricey either, but expect a few 1440p panel issues that are similar to the U2713. Mainly overshoot ghosting.

But, FWIW if you need the Wide Gamut features and don't care about the ghosting. It's worth it.

20. TobletDanillio

still £160 is not a bad price so I will get this soon hopefully.

Out my price range

I WANT ONE, but again its out my price range and I don't really need 27" as I am only a 50cm away from the monitor or less.