1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Nexus 5 unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 31 Oct 2013.

1. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

I am over the moon they finally released it! 32GB white one on order :)

Now if only the 10 and Projects Sauron and Gem would have launched at the same time - I would be a happy bunny.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Didn't say it did. If you want a hundred odd gig of music with you at all times, the Nexus 5 (or any other phone with non-expandable storage) is not the phone for you. I merely pointed out that there are streaming solutions that have absolutely any music you want on them, and at least one of them was specifically developed to help people cope with having a mere 8GB (the model of Nexus 4 Google genuinely, and incorrectly, thought would be the most popular) of local storage.

Me? I don't really feel the need to have my entire collection with me at all times. There's a lot of stuff I don't listen to except on certain occasions - the dual-CD Classic Disney album, for example, is great for when Alice is having a party, but not something I'm going to chill out to on the train.

3. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Well, I personally keep my music collection in FLAC, but when it comes to listening to it on my phone, I just stream it off Google Music where I've uploaded them as V0 VBR MP3s. The reason? The DAC on a phone is such that you won't notice the difference between a FLAC file and the MP3, even with good headphones. I've tested this with my Nexus 4 and Etymotic hf2.

There is the option of an external DAC, but it's definitely not worth the additional expense, bulk and hassle for listening to music while walking.

4. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

I have exactly the same battery! It's awesome! :)

It was also the only one I could find that wasn't covered in glossy plastic (which I absolutely hate).

5. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

Do you think you could tell the difference with more expensive headphones like the Beyerdynamic T1's?

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't think you should be running a T1 off a smartphone anyway.

I usually use a USB DAC with my IEMs so the difference is noticeable in some(maybe 1/3) of my tracks over straight V0 streams or files. Not noticeable when I'm travelling around, but I don't typically wear my IEMs when travelling since it'd be suicide to use them while cycling.

7. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Running cans like the T1's off a phone, ipod, or anything of the such without an amp or a DAC is just a collosal waste. In line with that (in my opinion), uploading FLAC files to your phone is just as silly. The audible difference is minimal at best for 95% of listeners (myself included). And the other 5% I can't imagine the difference is very large. A 320 encode is going to serve you 99% of the quality at 15% of the space when your on the go, so I can't understand why people would complain about space.

Hell... 64GB of store space still wouldn't be enough for lots of people. Last I checked my music collection required something like 300GB and I'm sure some people's collections dwarf mine.

8. sixfootsideburns

double post...

9. sixfootsideburns

double post

10. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

All the phones and tablets I've owned or used sound very bad, good headphones just reveal the extent of the problem.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd not bother with anything better than 320kbps for music on my phone, personally. That said, I don't think I'd be happy with 16GB of non-expendable storage, and even 32GB would be an issue.

12. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

So I've just ordered the 32GB version for £350 from the Play store but I'm considering going to get the 16GB version from CPW for £295.

My last smartphone had a 32GB microsd card but once I put all my music on my sansa clip I didn't necessarily use all of it. I've got pretty good mobile internet too.

What do you guys think then? Is the extra £55 worth it for double the memory?

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes, you can't upgrade it down the line and the OS will munch 5gb

14. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I think the 32GB is worth the extra cost. More space to actually install apps to and use for whatever you like and not just media storage as any SD expansion slot would give you.

16GB is certainly useable it just may require more juggling of files. Also 4.4 KitKat has reduced the Android install footprint somewhat.

15. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

this or a HTC One Max ?

16. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Keywords: ok google not working nexus 5.

I can't seem to get my 'OK Google' working on my nexus 5 from the home screen, I've been here for 5 minutes saying it over and over. OK Google. OK google?

I feel like Scotty!

Ah a keyboard... How quaint.

Perhaps I'll punch up the recepie for transparent aluminum...

On a serious not. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

17. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Aha fixed it! Remove English UK and your good to go. Wohoo I am Scotty!

I need the keywords changed from OK Google to OK computer now.

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I think it's interesting that people complain about needing expandable storage because they insist on carrying their entire collection of lossless music (only to play that music on a phone with poor quality headphones), but you never see anyone talk about wanting to carry their entire collection of MKV video files from all those Blu-ray backups.

I'm also bit curious how many SD cards people routinely carry with them in order to hold all that music.

19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

its not just music, its the fact that once you put a few apps on, a few tunes and then use all the features when out and about, high res photo, 1080p video it fills up and is useless, what is the point of fancy cameras etc you can't really use.

20. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

my entire music collection ripped to mp3 @ V0 totals at 44.4GB as of today and it grows with each day...

Tags: Add Tags