1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Parvum Systems Project Magnus - 19th April - i51 LAN

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 19 Sep 2013.

?

Which coolant for Magnus?

1. Clear : Clear

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Pastel White : Oil Black

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Translucent Red : Clear

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Well thank you guys :D

Ah stop it ;)! Being far too kind. However i50! Now that is something I'm looking forward to.

Haha :D Hows it going mate?

ahah guys. honestly this has been such a great response! Really pushes us to get more updates don't worry. Next one will have some eye candy!

I will fire a few more up in this thread a little later. Sadly none that really show where the other rad is that well :(

2. MattoDaLegare

MattoDaLegare What's a Dremel?

Amazing! Very nice project

3. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks bro! Low posts! welcome to bit-tech. New update soon y'all.

4. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Ok so for anyone still with us. Update should be up Saturday night. worst case Monday. Don't hold me to it. We had a power outage at work from Monday-today. The latest is that we are back in the world of power!

I think maybe some reservoir goodness!!

5. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Nah, we packed up shop and went home, can't be waiting for ya!

Thats what happens when you get lazy. :p

(Looking forward to the update mate! :thumb:)

6. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Fashionably late Halloween ;D

[​IMG]

7. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Too much time on your hand if you're doing a pumpkin! :p

Where's the updates? Come on man, you need to be keeping up appearances for your audience! :D

8. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Haha well there is a few reasons behind the lack of an update. Firstly we've had no three-phase power since the storm. It was down Monday-Friday which really crippled us at work. I suppose when we can't even run our case production there is no time for modding after hours!

The next big problem on this build is I'm forever stuck in a catch-22. Basically to explain somewhat.. to work on the cable management I need to re cut both the top and bottom chambers. I don't want to do that because I also need to re cut the bottom and top chambers for the tubing routing... I can't do this until I get all the GPUs. Once I get all the GPUs I'm still waiting on the blocks which I need before I can finish cable routing.

However the build is due for completion by the end of this month so expect major updates :D

9. hakank

hakank What's a Dremel?

when is this going to start selling? i would definitely buy it :D

10. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Only pulling your leg bud, know there can be hold-ups along the way!

Doing a great job guys! loving all these Parvum build threads ATM!

11. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Acrylic tubing time

Sponsors/Support:
    [​IMG]

More delays.. nothing unusual here. This time we lost three-phase power for 6 days. Really messing up work and any chance of project updates.

But that said... now we have something to show you. Exciting tubing at that!

First we want to quickly show you something we are pretty happy with. It was done for a friend (TTL Himself) so won't be used in this build but a nice little piece. Spec was from a pencil drawing. Single piece construction using heat to bend and designed to hold 4 SSDs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mmmmmm SSD p0rn....!

Onto MAGNUS!

First up we remove the mosfet block from the board:

[​IMG]

Replacing with an awesome little XSPC block:

[​IMG]

One thing that did lose out on was due to the reverse(upsidedown) layout.. the little badge cannot be used. Not really a big deal as the build is very monotone but still wanted to do a little something....

[​IMG]

Removed the orginal red detailing from the Asus heatsinc:

[​IMG]

ANd in place on the XSPC waterblock:

[​IMG]

Next up we made a small jig from a bunch of acrylic layers. It's purpose was to add the extra 30mm of space that will be taken up in the bottom of the case so I could start to plan the loop. As with all of our builds we are forever stuck in a 'catch-22'; one thing is always stopping us do the next so this was the only way to move forward:

[​IMG]

Putting the jig to use:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then use the jig to mark the bottom panel. Again all will because much clearer in future updates:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And more:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up... well... THANK YOU ASUS! We have more GPUs!
    Sitting pretty with stock coolers for now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunatly for now we are having problems sorting suitable waterblocks. However knowing they will be XSPC in style the way to move forward was to grab one of Shaun's 780's already with XSPC block:

[​IMG]

So for anyone who hasn't worked with acrylic.. we cut ours just using a basic coping saw in a vice. Simply paired with any fittings suitable for this tubing. Bitspower and EK do these. Also spotted some other fitting systems being used but don't like the looks of these. We also hate any bending of hard line tubing. After all.. floppy tubing does the bends. If you are trying to make a super tight bend without kinking it... that's great... BUT we think there is always a better option. Thats our advise anyway. Acrylic U bends are something that make the eyes bleed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MOAR TUBES:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is it for today friends and fans :)

With this progress it really means we can get going on the build so expect more frequent updates ASAP! NOOB stop moaning now! ;D

Last edited: 4 Dec 2013
  12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

That is some wicked cool runs on the straight tubing. And I agree 100 percent with you. If you want tubing that bends, dont go with acrylic tubing:p

13. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

whoooa, so smart with the jiggs :D!

14. kier

kier -----------------

Looks really great :) also agree with you guys.... do not bend acrylic tubes!!!

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I really like the parrallel straight tubing. Always gives a great effect.

Totally do not agree on the tube bending though. Regular soft tubing was where it started. Acrylic tubing adds the ability to have perfect straight parts and get the perfect curve as well. It is the best of both. Bending acrylic tubing is a skill. Make the bends perfect so the tubing still runs parallel with other pieces. But each to their own. To give advise to not do it is kinda rediculous. One likes it or doesn't like it, there is no con that it wouldn't be safe or something like that. Leave everyone to have their own opinion about it, give your about what you like in terms of looks but don't advise people not to do it. That is kinda silly.

16. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Parvum Systems Project Magnus - 5th November - Acrylic tubing time

The advise was about how I cut the acrylic for anyone not using it yet, hence the photos of the saw etc.
    The comment about bending it was my opinion that I'm very entitled to give in my build thread.
    Sorry if it was unclear. I know loads of people are perfecting bending straight tubes I'm just not a fan. I suppose if someone doing it asked me for advise on heat bending or using fittings instead I'd still say use fitting 100%... this is very much what I like and I would fully recommend people doing it that way rather than another.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2013
  17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

:That's very different, very cool and I really like it :thumb:

18. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Really liking the angled, parallel tubing and totally agree, acryl. tubing should never be bent. It often winds up damaging one's retinas :eeek:

19. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Looking great.
    I'd hate to have to change out the mobo on this build when complete though :D

20. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Say no to acrylic bending, join us now! Corners on solid tubes should be done with fittings, not bends. Often the radius of the bend is not inline with the thickness of the tube, which makes it look awkward.

That said, the tubing in the build looks great, are the tubes from the memory and gpu also parallel to each other?