1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LAN Party advice

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will_123, 6 Nov 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Hi guys need some advice on hosting a lan party at my house. Just wondering for those who host these regularly how much you pay for the electricity for the weekend sesh starting Saturday evening. Just don't want to destroy my electricity bill and get booted the stones by Mrs ha! Even just a vague idea of how much it cost you.

Will only be 6 of us taking part. Any thoughts?

Ps. sorry for English and spelling on the phone!

Thanks
    William

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

going to depend on your tariff, the kit you have and what you do but at a guess about 45p an hour if you all have heavy power machines (SLI, OC'd ~500-700w ) and screens (new LCD ~100w, older stuff double.) if your gear is more reasonable then could be half that.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I wouldn't even worry about it to be honest mate, its not going to be enough to notice in any normal winter bill.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I'd be amazed if it's any more than £20. As sandys says, if you have modest machines, I'd expect a tenner for 24 hours.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

If they all have similar spec to your own sig £5-£10 maximum. Depends on the game though, a league of legends LAN party going to use less electric than a bf4 type game would.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

As others have said, due to the small number of people/short duration it won't break the bank :)

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Cheers guys that's fine. Wasn't sure how bad it would be but that's all good! 10 to 20 quid is fine and the machines are similar to mine. Hosting it at end of the month, never hosted or been to one so looking forward to it.

8. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Electricity has never been a question at our LAN's. Loads of beer, local takeaway menus and a stack of toilet rolls are all you need.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

9. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

72 hours with a 1kW PC (running at full load) for 6 people at 12p a kWhr is £51.84

But as everybody has said you're not going to have machines that powerful, or on 24/7.

I think you'll be fine!

From having LAN parties at my house I'd advise having a decent table to put your things on!!

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

My clan does this at least 2 or 3 times a year.

There is normally around 12 to 18 of us in the house at the same time all gaming or leeching etc but the cost of electric never really comes up, as the person hosting normally accepts the cost's compared to the rest of us who drive.

My average cost to attend a lan is around £180, that covers fuel, food and plenty of drink.

11. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Really?! What's the breakdown? I attend LANs up to 6 times a year and I spend about £30 on everything (except I live in the same town, so no fuel).

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

we should have a damn bit-tech lan party at least once a year.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I cover the costs of my dad as well, so that's 2 cars with £60 in fuel for each.

14. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Get people to bring food and drinks for pay :)