1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

seems various reviews are showing power draw is HIGHER than the R290.... and others like yours show it being less....

a much better cooler than the 290 :D and titan`s day are over

power useage and temps when overlocked??

Last edited: 7 Nov 2013
  3. rollo

rollo Modder

All Reviews use different review systems, Some draw more power than others. Bit techs review system is one of the more power frugal ones that ive saw.

Performance is great that price is Insane.

Next

4. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

you should probably look into mentioning that the 290x would likely compete much better upon the arrival of the non-reference cards which amd has been rumored to have put on hold till the release of the ti.

plus really on price-performance ratio i'd say 280x is still the better bet.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Cant compare none reference cards which dont exist yet to a card thats out now. Thats not how a review works lol.

Its cooler quieter and uses less power and is quicker than the 290x thats a win for Nvidia.

Problem 99% of us are not gonna spend £550 on 1 GPU. Even the r290x at £400 is above most peoples budgets. ( Even on this forum and those like it theres very few people who buy top end gpus on a consistant basis)

In the Real world £200 - £300 is the most ive saw most people spend across a good number of forums.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

rollo - your green colour is coming out

depends on the review , depends on power - TPU have it with 2 watts of the R290x for power load , hexus have It 30watts over.

its `cooler` because the max temp is sset that way - you can set the R290x to run at 84 degree`s if you wanted to as well.

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

If you are spending that kind of money on a GPU I would want at least 4GB ram. The games at the start of this new generation are already asking for 3GB. There is just no room for growth.

Personally I would buy 2 4GB 770GTX's over this.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

And lose performance?

As I said in first comment, Performs great but is very expensive.

Its a win for nvidia and a lose for consumers.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Last I checked that'd make it a lose for Nvidia as well? Not much good having the fastest card if hardly anyone buys it!

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'd definitely have to agree with everything you said. One thing people seem to forget about with nvidia is that they use better memory and have much more polished drivers than AMD, but, when it comes to using more than 1 monitor, nvidia simply needs to supply more.

The way I see it, nvidia has always been better at GPGPU stuff, while AMD has always been better at multi-monitor setups. That being said, I think the choice is easy:
    * If you're using a single monitor, go with nvidia
    * If you're using multiple monitors, go with AMD

11. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Interesting.. your review reads very pro-780 Ti, but the message I feel like I've taken away is that the 290X is probably a better choice at this time, particularly once the aftermarket cooler versions come out.

Have been gaming with nVidia only for over a decade now! But really think the switch to team red has finally arrived. Think nVidia need to be a bit more sensible with their pricing really.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Add that if you use openGL or openCL ... then AMD is the only real choice with consumer cards (better openCL perf than nvidia and driver crippled opengl perf for non-quadro card, TY nvidia).

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I don't want to derail this thread but as an ex-3 display user (partly due to my 2x570GTX's 1.3 GB ram no longer cutting it and the fact it drives me mad in desktop mode) I would like to hear some brief difference between the two if possible.

I finally threw the head up after 3 games in a row didn't work at all when using 3 displays. After disconnecting one and going to a dual monitor setup I just find 3 displays to be too much of a pain in the ass, even in desktop use.
    I'm expecting I'll never touch it again when the consumer rift comes out but if AMD could sort out things certain applications always loading on the 3rd display I never use (outside of gaming) or full screen video blanking out the other 2 monitors I could be interested again.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no not lose performance?

again your green is showing through.

15. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The 780Ti is certainly a very good card, and the few people who invested in Titan's for gaming purposes are probably kicking themselves now, but the fact remains; it's bloody expensive.

Even if aftermarket versions of the 290x emerge that can keep pace with it; that's still a very expensive part of the market to be looking at, the prices are far too high for most people to even consider justifying such purchases.

On the subject of 290x vs 780ti; Its not lies to state that the Nvidia card runs colder, sure; you can tell the AMD card to run cooler, but you're then either driving noise up or reducing performance, neither of which is really preferred. I do eagerly await to see what Aftermarket cooled versions of the 290x behave like, though. Especially the Asus DirectCU variant.

16. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Oh look, another absurdly over priced card from Nvidia....who would have guessed.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Nvidia has freedom in this market segment they have had the fastest single gpu card for a while now. Alot of hope was placed into the 290x at a hope of reducing the prices we are paying.

Top end gpu from when I last brought has gone up £150 in 18months. Pretty significant increase. Keeps going at that rate we might see a Single gpu gamer card priced from both amd and nvidia above £600 ( ignoring titan which is prosumer card) Which is pretty crazy really.

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

if you set a 290x to cap out at 84c it will lose performance. what do you think happens to the card for it to run cooler? magic?

how is it overpriced? it's the fastest single GPU card you can buy

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

It performs only marginally better than the 290 at almost double the US price. In terms of price/performance it's a lose. Looking at the value added features, it's still a little up in the air. If Mantle takes off then it all comes down to a game by game process for buyers. Thermals seem to be good and the quality of the cooler is high. Personally, I'm still happy with my R290 purchase. $699 is just too much money.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

To be honest unless you game on multiple screens and/or at 4k then spending much over £300 on a single card at the moment is not overly wise. In fact in the second-hand market £150 would net you a card that's very good at 1080p - and will be for some time.

Tags: Add Tags