1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 8 port gigabit switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisc1277, 11 Nov 2013.

1. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

Now then

Don't really know much about networking, but im looking to get an 8 port gigabit switch for some future projects im thinking about. quite a few different ones out there and to be honest, im lost.

Can anyone recommend me a reliable one reasonably priced?

Cheers
    Chris

Last edited: 11 Nov 2013
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's a gigabit switch not a gigabyte switch.

Just basic switching or any fancy features needed?

3. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

oops. updated. Thanks :duh:

Nothing fancy. Just want to be able to turn it on, plug various things in and leave it alone.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

What type of Gigabit* switch are you after? Managed or unmanaged? I've had the pictured version of the Cisco SG100D-08 unmanaged switch mounted under my desk for a while now - it offers perfect performance, a reasonable price, good warranty and the usual Cisco reliability so far. The reason I needed this was because I sometimes run as many as 6 Ethernet devices* on/around my desk at once and only have two RJ45 sockets on the wall running back to the patch panel. It's probably not the sort of thing professionals would recommend doing in an enterprise network, but for my little home/workshop setup it works very well.

[​IMG]

*PC, laptop, printer, WAP, Raspberry Pi & NAS

[edit]

Ninja'd by Saspro whilst looking for the image! :D

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've got one of those switches too. It's excellent (that's the managed one, right - I've got an umanaged cisco one too sitting under my access point)

6. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

i was just trying to find out what the difference is between managed and unmanaged. Any clue? Honestly you're talking to a complete nOOb at networking.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That one is unmanaged - I let my Dell 5324's do all the management, this is just a way for me to connect so many devices around one desk without running extra cables the whole way from my patch cabinet down to the office :)

ChrisC - managed means it runs console software which allows you to configure what each port does individually, unmanaged is in the simplest explanation, a network splitter, plug & play.

8. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

Thanks for explaining. Unmanaged will probably just do me then. Ill have a look into that one you suggested above.

9. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

10. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

I used D-Link DGS-1005D 5-Port Desktop Gigabit Switch. I am not much competent of that, just used it and cannot say anything negative.

11. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Netgear Prosafe GS108 has served me well for years. No hassle, just plug and play.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

whilst we are talking managed and unmanaged, you can get some that are called smart switches, which are slightly cheaper than fully managed switches. they have a web interface like fully managed switches, but lack some of the facilities.

13. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

I use a Netgear GS108 and it has been faultless with excellent build quality. I like how it looks too.

£30 on amazon

14. Razbit

Razbit What's a Dremel?

+1 for this switch

I've used this for a while now, printer, server and my computer plugged in atm, I've got nothing bad to say about it.

Reasonable price, great warranty, Cisco quality.. What else do I need to say?

15. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

It seems all required issues are mentioned. I think nothing else is necessary, just price, warranty and quality working.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

tbh if you manage to buy a switch that is a dog, I'd question where, who and why you bought it. Don't worry. Just stick to known good makes like above.

Normally I think like this in the world of computer networking: if I don't know what it is, there is a good chance I don't need it.

17. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

Cheers chaps for all your suggestions and advice. its greatly appreciated. I think ive narrowed it down to either the Netgear or the Cisco. thanks again.

18. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If you run a flat network, then virtually any switch will do. If you want support for VLANS and other tidbits, the only reasonably priced smart switch is the GS108T-200UKS.

19. chrisc1277

chrisc1277 Minimodder

what is a VLAN?

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

A vlan is just a way of segregating networks, with a layer 3 switch you can also add routes between vlans. Vlans just put a tag in the packet header, if you get a managed switch normally all the ports will be a member of VLAN 1 by default, you can then configure ports to be in different VLAN's (2, 3, etc.). Then network traffic will only talk with other traffic on the same vlan.

if the choice is netgear or cisco, Cisco > Netgear.