1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Bling Prodigy by J0h

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by j0h89, 11 Nov 2013.

1. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Before starting please apologize me for my bad English

Hi!

I'm here to present to you my new mod and i'm sure that the knowledge of the bit-Tech's experts will be very useful!

It's been a long time since i made the last mod, for lack of time i've abandoned this fantastic hobby but spurred by BitFenix i've planned to do a mod for home entertaining.

After a few nights spent thinking about what could be my project I requested some pieces that have been kindly offered by Drako and BitFenix.

[​IMG]

and tadà ... the courier leave a mega pack at the door .. honestly I was sleeping, I sent the cat to take it ..

[​IMG]

After a few hours of slumber I realize that package came from Drako and contained what would take me to make a new mod ..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So let's start from the fans, I chose the Spectre classic, not the PRO, because they are more sober, I also decided to take the version without, in short, basic fan to create a good air recycling .. Obviously later I will provide to modify the fans .. One of the fans is 140mm because probably, on the back of the case, I will replace the 120mm fan with this.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cables are series of Alchemy in black and gold, until recently it was not a very popular color, but with the new ASUS, ASRock, and MSI, BitFenix has decided to please all users who have hardware to match.

[​IMG]

As for the case I chose the phenomenon of the moment, the little Prodigy, wanting to build a small pc I thought this might be the best candidate because, in addition to being compact, is well suited to particular cooling systems.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Nov 2013
  2. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Here the case! BitFenix ​​Prodigy all black with mesh (and soft touch) front panel and side panel perforated , I might opt for the windowed side panel but I prefer to create a more particular cut (at the moment I do not have clear ideas).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

the same day, in afternoon , armed with a screwdriver and energy drink , I completely disassembled the case looking to not lose screws.... 90% of the time this happen to me..

[​IMG]

Here are the various "bags" home made containing the various screws divided according to the place of origin xD

[​IMG]

3. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Here is the first part of the painting

I painted the case using a paint with gold effect mirror polished, a €7 spray but it's worth it . I wanted to use a more professional method but buy an airbrush to keep it abandoned 364 days a year seems a waste.

[​IMG]

First of all I removed the upper grill , leaving unchanged the filter mesh but only by changing the frame that holds it .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

i painted couple of fans, only the central body . The fans are BitFenix ​​Spectre Pro , removing the sticker in the back you can remove the cap , the seal and then remove the fan from the motor . To be able to paint smoothly I used the method " skewer " :D .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Once i have completed the painting I reassembled and tested to see if any debris had affected their functionality, initially one was slower than other , but using it for several hours , seems to be back to normal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, the front panel time, in this case , i made change on two type of panels just to try the effect.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

the case will not remain unchanged especially in the front part , the black part was in fact replaced by what is contained in this pack.

[​IMG]

I bought a nice piece of adhesive film with leather effect, genuine leather would come to cost more than the PC itself then the world of tuning gave me a hand, so here's the wrapping.

[​IMG]

the combination of gold and leather is fantastic imho , in the picture makes it a little but I assure you that live with reflections and various details , l ' effect is really amazing , better than I had imagined!

[​IMG]

Here are some pictures in detail:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite part is without a doubt one of the slot because the gold rim , especially with what should be inserted into this space , it have a fantastic effect

[​IMG]

5. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

To control fans and possible liquid cooling system I chose one of the best controller currently on the market , the Lamptron CW611 . Luck would have it a friend of mine bought it by mistake , he wanted a traditional controller , so I took it for a little more than half!

Before seeing the change let me put some photos of the unboxing and controller because it deserves so much.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The controller would marry well with houses made ​​of anodized aluminum because the front frame is made ​​using this technique.

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I dismounted and I used the wrapping method:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Positioned in its slot on the front panel I particularly like the effect, especially on the flange golden delimiting it.

[​IMG]

Below, a picture in detail, at the moment I'm undecided whether to change the color and wheel button but almost certainly will opt to leave them as they are.

[​IMG]

ps: I do not know if you noticed but the piece of film is not taken at random, I recovered the cut piece before, and I made sure that it matched the streaks

6. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Thanks to the advice of friends I'm slowly perfecting the quality of the photos.
    Today in the short time available I made a slight modification to the frame of the case, I rotated the front by 180 ° so as to put the controller Lamptron at the bottom.
    This choice is not aesthetics , the positioning at the bottom of the basket 5.25 " I will make it possible to overcome several issues of" placement " hardware.

The following picture shows the skeleton of the case not changed

[​IMG]

To remove the front metal must be removed before ten rivets , so armed with a small drill bit I did. However, I want to point out this small detail , although it is a small case and specifically a relatively narrow sheet attached to the rest of the body, BitFenix ​​has used as many as 10 rivets , honestly I was quite amazed because of much larger cases it I viewed less , this makes the structure of the Prodigy a real rock and avoids annoying vibrations.

[​IMG]

So I took 10 new rivets and mounted the front plate rotated 180 ° , the change is feasible without adding any holes or damaging the structure of the skeleton.

[​IMG]

So I did a test by mounting the fan controller and the front panel.

[​IMG]

Here is a detail of the previous photo that brings better highlight the contrast leather-like \ gold.

[​IMG]

7. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Here are two pieces of hardware that will make up the pc.

The mb, an ASUS Z87I-Pro, will fit perfectly with the case's color scheme.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The power supply is also perfectly matched to the case , I do not need something overly powerful , in fact , this is probably already too much, I took a Corsair RM650 .
    I really like the fact that it is completely modular , it is also very aesthetically pleasing , it is not "boxy".

[​IMG][​IMG]

As for the two drives in the two photos , it almost certainly will not be used .. I prefer to put a large enough HDD and an SSD for the operating system.

[​IMG]

I sweated to make them perfect to the millimeter but I wanted something durable and reliable.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The system is very simple , it uses the holes below the first drive as the 4 fastening and metal bands to be able to fit two one above the other.

[​IMG]

At the bottom of the case in fact there is already a predisposition to mount a SSD in this way, in the photo you can see the 4 holes used marked with a red circle.

[​IMG]

In my case the four side supports also act as spacers so as to be able to mount the power supply cables and SATA and inclined to have a greater recirculation, also insert , once found the right drive , small strips of sound-absorbing material in such a way as to reduce the mechanical noise produced from the HDD.

[​IMG]

This support will still be completely hidden and later does not cause any problem to the lamptron controller positioned in front .

8. Fridge Gnome

Fridge Gnome Blue Everywhere

I'm diggin that leather a gold look!

9. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

Cool idea, can't wait to see it come together.

10. leonetu

leonetu What's a Dremel?

I'm digging that gold and black - the contrast works well. Classy!

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The leather or material and gold look awesome!

12. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the late.
    I've had some trouble with the mainboard but after the RMA i managed to assembly the PC

Here you are some photos with the PC turned off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one with the PC on.

[​IMG]

13. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

nice work like that leather look

14. douglas alves

douglas alves Minimodder

This work is really awesome! Congrats!:

SMIFFYDUDE likes this.
  15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My kind of colours! Looks awesome!

16. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Very nice build. Leather foil looks good and you can´t go wrong with dark and gold.

17. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

Thank you all :) i hope to post some new photos in the next days

18. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

After a long time, finally i managed to get a good photo of the complete PC powered on.

[​IMG]

19. jimbaw

jimbaw What's a Dremel?

I never used to be a fan of golden builds but I really like this one!

20. j0h89

j0h89 What's a Dremel?

thank you very much :thumb: