1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube Astroturfing

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Otis1337, 11 Nov 2013.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Thoughts?
    This is really bad. I didn't think google would stoop this low! :(

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Angry man is angry? commercial company protects own interests shocker? Resounding MEH from me...

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It whiffs of conspiracy theory to me. Its possible he is right, but I would need to see more evidence than what he presented in the video.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Corporations use employees to promote a positive appearance on social media. If they don't do it directly, then they hire marketing companies (which in turn hire people to spread positive reviews). This kind of marketing has been used for ages, and it really shouldn't surprise anyone anymore.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

If you look most of the top comments now are with Google+, eugh....
    Its not really a surprise this is happening, but didn't think google would force it this hard on us.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm not the least bit surprised. Google is, and always had been, a corporation driven by and funded by advertising dollars. They were able to give away so much 'free' software because they were earning so much money from AdSense. They are a corporation that exists for the purpose of feeding customer metrics and other data to other advertisers, and all of the software and services they give away are part of that effort.

It's kind of interesting that Google were able to get away with the underdog, "here-for-the-people" image for so long. It's kind of like how Apple portrays itself as the hip anti-corporate alternative to Microsoft.

7. walle

walle Minimodder

It is all about perception management these days, ok ok, manipulation...there, I said it.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It's going to take more than a bit of astroturf to cover up that open sewer.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Frankly I'm shocked any one reads YouTube comments, its like the Daily Fail letters page with any hint of intelligence removed.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Maybe the top comments are positive because only the people who can be arsed with Google+ are still making comments at all whilst everyone else has cleared out to forums and/or Facebook. Nobody left but the pro and the paid to be pro...

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :clap::clap::clap:

THIS A MILLION TIMES.

You either do it yourself with your own employees or you use a PR company to do it for you.

You even have the PR company contract ex-industry professionals to do think pieces and click bait articles with competitions etc.

No one should give a ****...

As people we need to start effectively filtering out this ********. (now is the time I should admit to not watching the video posted)

There are even conspiracy nuts out there that remove their own sites from Google.com and then start another blog saying Google shut them down, even though it was them that made the request to stop indexing their site.

All so they can propagate their message more effectively... probably whilst generating advertising revenue and selling you stuff you don't need.