1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rob Ford.Troubled Toronto mayor,

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Kronos, 8 Nov 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure if this should be here or under the general tab.

I have no doubt we have all seen the stories recently about the Mayor of Toronto admitting to smoking crack cocaine and now threatening to kill someone whilst he was drunk.
    Stories here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24824651
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24858250

I don't think I have any particular views on this guy and his obvious trouble. I do wonder why the BBC thinks that it deserves so much air time but that's another matter.

But it did get me thinking about our politicians past and present and the rather odd statement they all seem to subscribe to, and perhaps it is in the MP's manual. But whereas they might just about admit to smoking pot, hash, call it what you will, they all say,to a man, " I did not inhale."

Anyone else think this is possibly one of the most ridiculous statements you have heard.

I am sure we have all heard of toffs Bullingdon Club? an exclusive society at Oxford University, noted for its grand banquets and boisterous rituals, such as 'trashing' of restaurants and college rooms. I am sure that they would have 'inhaled' a lot more than dope. Quite a few of our Tory MP's were members of that.

Labour and the rest of our politicians would have had the same experiences as the rest of us. smoking hash was part of growing up. I am almost 60 now and remember it well, well sort of.lol.

So come on politicians we are not going to think any worse of you because liked the rest of us you dabbled in illegal substances. So admit it instead of expecting us to believe you did not 'inhale.'

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Politicians try to appear to be what the public wants them to be. And the largest part of the voting public are Middle England Mail readers ("Indignant from Sudbury" or "Outraged from Horsham") who, although they find it perfectly normal to drink too much, smoke too much and eat too much, will frown most severely on illicit drugs and music that is not played on Classic FM (BBC Radio 3 has gone too progressive lately, with its Jazz and its foreign World Music).

3. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Ha Ha! ...spot on Nexxo.

ps
    Radio 3's 'Late Junction' is fantastic, perfect for doing paperwork or similar activity. Listen to at least 3 broadcasts with the different presenters before making mind up.

4. spyplane

spyplane What's a Dremel?

It's like if Charlie Sheen ran for office. I feel for you Toronto, I feel for ya.

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm just outside of Toronto and the thing is Rob Ford isn't a bad mayor. His personal life is just a mess and he doesn't play the politician game (I think he's too stupid for it). No one was / is complaining about the job he is doing, he was running a surplus where his main competition during the election wanted to double property taxes in Toronto and use taxes to address their deficit.

I feel like if he could "play the game" properly, no one would complain at all. He clearly has some issues, being intoxicated in public on numerous occasions, etc. and it's unfortunate how his personal life is now ruining his political one.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that there is a lot to be said for a politician who is competent at running a city, and too guileless to play the political game. You get what you see. It may not look polished and pretty, but if it does the job right, who cares?

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I just like that gif of him running about like Wario.

[​IMG]