1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jeremy Hammond gets 10 years in jail for Stratfor Hack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Nov 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

When you drop your cash into the bucket do you want to know that £12 of that is going to me sorting out a criminals activity rather than helping my charity to help others? Charities are not blockbuster films, they don't strive on negative press and they don't like to be dragged into criminal activities. We have to make sure that our books are squeeky clean or we're going to have a bad time.

This is your only point. But lets be honest, when someone strikes such a large group its hard to find someone who wasn't affected.

No, but they didn't steal money from thousands of people and upset the people they're supposed to be helping.

If you want to break the law quietly with the love of your life fine by me, but please don't force it upon me, statement works for both hacking computers and gay sex.

Whats the difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist?

At the end of the day the law is the law, if you break it you go to jail. If we later discover that he was wrongfully imprisoned I'm sure this young man will get a lovely pay off, and can go and live at the rainbow you mentioned because his "hacktivist" activities have saved the world from the oppressive system and I will eat my hat. Until that time, people who hack companies, steal money and force their crimes onto charities can rot in jail.

--------------------------------

Am I the only person who find the above type of reply really irritating? Tuk seems to like to do it in every thread he posts in. Also hasn't Tuk been banned a few times already?

2. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I don't drop money in buckets, charities are some of the biggest criminals on the planet with only a tiny percentage of donations going to the people they are meant for.

Publicity is publicity ..how does this kid effect your books, are you even clear on what he did?

Try counting again.

Lets be really honest ...can you list the people who were effected? no didn't think so. Did you really say its hard to find someone who hasn't been effected by this? ..how about the entire bit-tech membership for starters. He hacked a site which makes it money from selling intelligence to the US military.

I agree ..they didn't steal money from thousands of people and upset the people they're supposed to be helping.

This comment says everything about you ....blindly following a law whether it is right or wrong, so in Lance world if being gay is illegal you should go to prison for having gay sex ...WOW!.

off topic & completely unrelated ...who has this kid hurt? ..did he use weapons or violence?
    ---------------------------

Feeling insecure about your pov much, trying to rally the bandwagon? ...assuming cos I don't agree with you I must have been banned before :D:D:D. ..ffs grow up.

You're feeling irritated cos I don't agree with your backward and publicly voiced opinion. ..it's called the internet, get over yourself.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2013
  3. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

He couldn't even reach the On/Off button on his PC..

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You're not the only one Lance, most of the posts I've seen from Tuk seem to be worded to deliberately annoy people.

With regards to it not being a fair trial, that doesn't stop me thinking it was right he should go to prison, it doesn't suddenly mean I think it's ok that judge was related to the case.

5. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Utter bollocks, people get annoyed so it must be someone else to blame?

How exactly do you know this is my main motivation George? ..are you sure you're not just trolling?

I don't conform to the bit-tech adolescent clique is all, I have my own opinion & not afraid to express it, maybe its this strange phenomena that causes discomfort for some.

6. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Seriously?????????? ...it's like shooting fish in a barrel on here sometimes.

Whoever is paying you 21k in this climate is being ripped off.

7. GeorgeStorm

I'm just saying what I've noticed, it's my opinion, feel free to disagree :)

They probably are, but that's not really the point. What was wrong about my comment?

8. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

How exactly does one notice a motivation over the internet george?

You still think he should go to jail even though you know his trial was rigged?

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Classic trolling. Taking information gained elsewhere to offend/hurt in a personal attack.

Reporting.

10. GeorgeStorm

I've noticed your posts, and I've read them and consider them to be worded to annoy/get a rise out of people.

Based on the details that I have read, I think he should go to prison. The fact the trial wasn't fair doesn't matter, I never said I agreed with the length of the sentence, or the exact details etc.
    If this thread had been made before the trial, about how he may go to prison, my opinion would be the same.

11. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Lance ..the personal attacking started here:

Then George joined in saying he knew my deepest thoughts & the real intent behind my posts.

So don't get all butt hurt when it start flying back the other way:D

12. GeorgeStorm

I've edited my post to hopefully stop you thinking this.

13. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

There has not been a proper trial so there aren't any real facts to know. That's what trials are for, to establish the facts.

14. GeorgeStorm

Edited again. If it turns out to be different then I have no problem in changing my opinion.

15. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

That's a pretty wonky interpretation of the situation. The trial is dodgy because the judge that passed sentencing has a relation to a victim, but that doesn't mean that all the evidence presented in the trial is somehow false. Moreover, he's confessed to all the charges, which - unless his confession was taken under duress - suggest that all the base facts are just that.

That specific point aside, try to keep things civil on the forums. There are ways of arguing a point without getting people's heckles up.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just backing up a moment... Is this confirmed as being the case, as the article is at pains to state that there is an accusation of conflict of interest, but there's nothing (in this article at least) confirming that to be true?

Not taking sides on this, by the way, just looking for corroboration of Nexxo's statement. It goes without saying that if there has been a conflict of interest, then an appeal and retrial must follow. On the other hand, if there hasn't been a conflict of interest and the trial is deemed to have been fair, I think it's not unreasonable for a custodial sentence, although 10 years does seem pretty severe. Of course, that's just a gut feeling and it'd be interesting to see comparison with sentencing for similar crimes.

17. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

If it was found that the judge was biased & in this case it seems to be, I mean there is a reason why they don't allow Jurors who know the parties involved outside of the court ..so why would the person in charge of the whole trial be allowed to know one of the parties on personal level ...in this case the first trial would be declared a mis-trial & a whole new trial might start, they would not, as you're suggesting, salvage & cheery pick bits&pieces from the old trial, they would instead start again with a new judge & a whole new trial.

Yes & one of those ways is a content based discussion without personal references/attacks.

You can scroll back and see the person that started those is the same one who pressed the report button.

Or are you just conveniently starting from my response to that?

Maybe you can provide the post number where exactly you think this started? ..let me make it easy for you, which post of mine before the one below is uncivil?

18. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Your response to my rebuttal of your argument says it all about what has caused others to get riled. You fail utterly to address the central point I made and then infer that I implied something other than what I said. I wasn't talking about cherry picking anything, but merely making the point that the facts that were presented at the trial remain facts, regardless of the situation of the trial. Otherwise they're simply not facts.

As to 'who started it' the tone you took in post #19 is clearly where things kicked off, with your use of accusatory language such as ".yet you and others are rushing to applaud the sentence." and "your iron clad logic".

That said, the point I raise about keeping it civil applies to all. No-one is going to get a ban for a few slightly inflammatory comments. If a pattern emerges, however...

19. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

The purpose of the trial is to establish the facts in the eyes of the law, if that trial is deemed null and void because the judge was breaking the rules, then the facts established during that trial must also be null and void ...innocent until proven guilty remember, just pleading guilty is not enough, it has to be proven as a conclusion to a fair trial.

Stating facts is not kicking off, people have posted saying they agree with the jail sentence Check! ...& someone made the iron clad statement 'if you break the law you go to jail, no excuses' Check!....no, you will have to do better than that, where exactly is the personal attack?

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As it stands currently, the trial has been deemed to have been fair and valid, so the facts in the eyes of the law stand until such point as the verdict is appealed. Again, as it stands currently, the verdict has been "proven as a conclusion to a fair trial", so if George or anyone else wants to refer to the facts of the case, then that's fair enough imo. Whether or not the trial was fair remains to be seen - again, I'm positive that Hammond's lawyers will appeal if they think they have a case.

Tags: Add Tags