1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PC Shuts off while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chimeradog, 19 Nov 2013.

1. chimeradog

chimeradog What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys, just upgraded my rig to Win 8.1 Pro WMC few days ago, installation went fine, everything was fine until the PC started to shut off totally(like the power was cut off and will only turn on after 3-5 mins) while playing games like Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 & Dota 2 for around 20min, but this situation doesn't occur while playing games like Dishonoured & LOL( funny though). CPU temps are around 48 degrees while playing games and the GPU peaked at 87 degrees so it shouldn't be a prob with these 2 chips. All latest drivers are installed for my rig. Specs are below

Intel core i5 2500k
    Asus p8z68-v pro
    Nvidia geforce gtx 570
    Corsair xms3 1600mhz 2gbx4
    Coolermaster silent pro 700w

So guys, I'm starting to suspect that my 4 year old psu is failing on me? Any comments guy? or is it some other issues that I missed out on...hope for a reply asap^^ Thanks in advanced

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Try this before you buy new hardware:
    do a full back up and then try: Full complete reset then install win 8.1 GPU drivers.

3. chimeradog

the full complete reset means reinstalling windows?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

sort of, it cleans the install so its the same as formate and full install. There are lots of hidden issue if you use the upgrade path.

5. chimeradog

alright, did a reinstall of windows and installed the latest 331.83 drivers, will post an update after restoring my games =)

6. chimeradog

Alright...have been gaming for 4hrs continuously without any problems right now...looks like its a software issue..thanks for the advice =)

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Its great to hear its working well now. Enjoy!

8. Behemot

Behemot What's a Dremel?

Those Cooler Master PSUs are nothing spectacular. If that is the old/first cersion Silent Pro M as just Silent Pro does not exist, I would replace output capacitors, they are likely going to hole.