1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any help on neighbour relations!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mrbungle, 21 Nov 2013.

?

What would you do?

1. Pay up in full for the dish to be moved

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Move the dish myself

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Tell neighbour to do one

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Eat a cheesecake

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Meh, burn it to the ground.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This is a problem for the scaffolder - all you should be doing is speaking to him on your neighbour's behalf. if he can do something to address the problem, great. If not, not your problem.

The fact that they started off by asking for money would put my hackles up, and they'd have been told where to shove it; neighbours or not.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Absolutely agree with this.

4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Sorry, only read a few of the posts.

To be honest, I would be telling them to take a long walk. It's not your issue, it's theirs. The problem will be resolved in a few days time once the building work has been completed. The way they just demanded the money is rude in itself and not exactly neighbourly.

If they came with a friendly face and asked if there is anything we could both do together to make it easier for everyone then I would be more inclined to pay for it.

Similar problem here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3393288&postcount=12127

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It depends how much you like them/how much you want them to like you :p

It also depends on how they asked you, if they basically demanded that you pay for it, then I wouldn't feel obliged, if they asked politely if you could/if you could work something out together then it would be a completely different matter.

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

As others have said, the polite thing was the 50/50 offer, which they declined. I'm going to assume the roof is quite an investment to begin with, their satellite has become a further burden on you financially. Maybe tell them you can't afford the 40 because of the cost of your roof? I'm all for being nice to neighbours but the way they went about it wasn't particularly good. Hell, we used to get along with our neighbour behind us until we built our shed, since then he's gone ape s**t, and a few times a year he'll get drunk and start spewing god knows what about the war and how he killed Italians (because we're Italians), along with verbally abusing his other neighbour who is divorced. We've learned to just ignore him or call him a drunk.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

In all seriousness they couldnt have asked for money at a worse time, the roof is being done as is the plastering and a kitchen, skint doesn't begin to cover it in all honesty.

Will see what's what when I get back, hoping it will be sorted.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It's their problem, not yours.

What would they do for you if the roles were reversed?
    Not a lot, I imagine.

PauloWhysalli likes this.
  9. RTT

RTT #parp

Precisely!

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i cant believe this is even a topic. Their satellite signal is no concern of yours. Maybe just maybe they could do something else other than watch TV ???

i think your offer to go halves is massively generous considering after its been moved it will have to moved back ? you paying that too ?

i vote 100% no - work will be completed then you get your signal back - now jog on back next door and play scrabble or something - hell if TV is that important maybe watch a DVD !

11. mrbungle

The plot somewhat thickens.

The roofer patched up their roof a while ago, same bloke we got his details off them.

When they were informed we would get the roofer back and see if he can clear anything they knew it was the same guy, so the bloke has been harassing this roofer to come over, apparently called the poor bloke 3 times. It is because his wife is off today, obviously been sat at home just watching the wall going crazy that there is no television.

Roofer has been and gone, I only hope it works as I am out this evening and the woman said she would be over this evening if it wasn't sorted.

My Mrs can handle herself but if they are becoming harassing I will not be particularly polite about telling them where to go, which will not be great as they own the house next door.

They seemed ok too! Guess again *facepalm*

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Are they under the same roof that your having work done on? If so ask them to contribute that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

13. mrbungle

Nooo, they are the semi that our drives adjoin.

14. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Dont even know what to say, they were have done nothing wrong, but can no longer watch TV that they pay for, and loads of people on here are saying 'there problem, not yours'.

Something your having done has affected them, of course you should pay for any adjustments that need to be made, you have caused a problem (even if not deliberately), sort it out!

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I too am mostly shocked by the selfish attitudes of the majority of the posters in this thread. :jawdrop:

I assume they are the types to rant at their ISP or mobile phone providers when their service goes down for more than 5 minutes. :eyebrow:

One can only call on Karma here and hope that when your internet goes down it goes down for a couple of weeks, I look forward to the day you come on here ranting demanding action or a refund on your bill, heaven forbid it be on the release day of a new game or console you need to get online to play. :lol:

No wonder Britain is broken, everyone only in it for themselves

Guinevere and bodkin like this.
  16. David

Yeah, his neighbours for one! Their first approach is to turn up with their hands out? THAT may be why Britain is broken!

17. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

So let me get this straight, someone has blocked my service, I have no right to expect them to sort it?

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Irrelevant. Do unto others as you expect them to do to you.
    Again, irrelevant. Maybe the TV is their main form of entertainment that they like to watch after doing very gruelling jobs. How would you feel if your neighbour commenced an activity that stopped you doing your favourite hobby for two weeks, then when you mentioned it to them suggested that you do something different in a tone of voice that implies they think your hobby is a waste of time?
    Absolutely bloody right.

Guinevere likes this.
  19. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

The problem is people seem to have it in their head that their is always someone at fault, and it is automatically expected of you to put it right. They way they approached you is out of order. Assuming you will comply with whatever solution they have picked is a bit rich, especially as it is at cost to yourself.

We have had a similar (well sort of) issue. We have a communal dish in the development we live in as they don't want all the houses to have dishes, this is fair enough as they are unsightly!

Anyhow, some dickless **** (Another resident) had Sky piss about with the dish (That they dint own) because they where not picking the HD channels ,as a result anyone with FreeSat is unable to tune their box (including ours). Presumable its not pointing the right way to pick up the tuning satalite.

The developers are now refusing to let anyone touch the dish.

I had to take my FreeSat box to my parents house to get it tuned in but performance is still bolloks.

I have since resorted to underhand tactics, on my way home after a night out 2-3AM i may have disconnected the LMB and given it a bit of a nudge.

I'm a bad, bad person.

20. David

Pretty sure I said nothing of the sort, well done.

If I inadvertently block your service, you have every right to approach me about it. However, as there's no legal case to answer, if you decide to start off by getting in my face and demanding money, you can eff right off!

A more measured approach will elicit a more sympathetic response.