1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any help on neighbour relations!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mrbungle, 21 Nov 2013.

?

What would you do?

1. Pay up in full for the dish to be moved

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Move the dish myself

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Tell neighbour to do one

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. Eat a cheesecake

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yep, their attitude and approach could use a little work as it sounds out of order how it is being reported here, but the point still stands...

....you'd not want me knocking on your door if I found out you'd blocked my only TV access for 2 weeks, I'd imagine I'd be slightly impolite too

2. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

The attitude they presented may well have been wrong but that doest change the situation. They have done nothing and ended up without something, That is simply not fair.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This is hard work... if you knock on my door and simply explain that work I'm having done has caused you some inconvenience, I would do my best to rectify it.

If you arrive and start off impolitely, you can expect a less than polite response and zero effort to help out.

Again, where have I suggested that it IS fair?

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

You 're not wrong...

I've already agreed the way the neighbours approached him / his missus was crap, call them scum bags and piss through the letter box for it if it makes anyone feel any better.
    It matters not, times like this the OP needs to swallow his bile and be the bigger man no matter how much of a dick his neighbour is.

5. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Said it better than I could. Just sad to see some of the comments from this community.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm kind of on the fence here - whilst I feel that OP should do something as they claim you're affecting their service I certainly wouldn't just stump up the cash. I would get the satellite dish or whatever moved for them and then put back afterwards. I'm a bit cynical and wonder if they're just after some cash and maybe wouldn't even use it for the temporary solution they're talking about. I certainly think that just saying "no - bugger off" isn't right though.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

As with George, I'm on the fence here.

An unfriendly approach would usually be greeted by an unfriendly response. However, if they approach and explain the situation in a friendly manner, it will work itself out. It's all about compromise and some people just don't know how to do that.

I had a similar neighbour issue in the car park outside my flat a few months back where someone was parking in my allocated space all the time. The twattish thing to do would be to block them in and write a short/sharp note, but instead I wrote them a longer note to explain that the car park has allocated parking and that this is my space. It turns out they were a new resident in the estate and the parking situation hadn't been explained to them.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Having a word with the roofer was generous, offering to cover half even more so. If they've refused your offer then wash your hands of it.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm probably going to sound clueless here, but isn't the positioning of the scaffolding what's to blame here? Surely that's the responsibility of the scaffolder?

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I would say on yer bike love it's not your responsibility.

Can't imagine a neighbour asking me that..

"so I can't get sky cause of your scaffold"

"well that's a lovely story but I have to go"

11. RTT

RTT #parp

POLL ADDED!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Nov 2013
  12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Customer service manager here....

Tell them to bugger off and avoid all contact, if you feel for one second they are even thinking bad of you here....

[​IMG]

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Well since it's not time to go to sleep just yet...
    In my opinion something of your own doing has caused them an inconvenience, I appreciate that it isn't your fault, would an entirely better solution be for the pair of you to invite them round for a brew and have a civilised conversation about it, like grown ups. You know "I appreciate that this may have caused you a problem, it wasn't our intention to do that, we've spoken to a couple of people and we'll see what we can do. We're not prepared to put the dish on the scaffolding for the (very real) likelihood of damage but we don't want to cause you any upset, is there something else we can do mutually to resolve it. Given the work we are having done we can't afford to pony up the cash, but we don't want you to be suffering either" sort of thing. Communication is part of the battle.

We don't know their situation, we watch a lot of TV, in the evenings we have a youngish family, so either games, film, TV etc when the kids are asleep. If that were to be removed for a few weeks, aside from the inconvenience to me and my family there would be the loss of the service I'm paying for. I wouldn't be happy, but then I wouldn't go demanding money either. I'd ask if there was anything that they could do to rectify the situation, move an offending bit of scaffold or whatever.

My formative years in hospitality taught me that if you are pleasant and polite initially you will get a better response than shouting your mouth off. Which is what I think the issue is here, speak to them politely and get the full story. You still have to live in close proximity to these guys and don't want a lot of ongoing agro if a 30 minute conversation, a cup of PG and a custard cream* will resolve it

*obviously other brands of tea or type of biscuit can be used. PG is not obligatory, you could even try coffee if you like.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Guinevere likes this.
  14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

You have no legal right to it, correct. You have no legal rights to line of sight through the air and that's essentially what we're talking about here.

For example, if the dish was at the rear of your property and your neighbour had a legal extension built that blocked your signal that's tough and if you wanted a continued service you'd have to have it moved elsewhere.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Get the roofer to say it's a health and safety no no, and hand the neighbours a few quid towards the lost half a month of Sky subscription.

16. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Just hope you don't need them to shift their car to let the builder unload something, and hope that your builder doesn't go a second over the permitted building hours.

They are putting up with all the noise and crap from your building work, just pony up the cash and be done with it.

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

+1

If I was in the neighbour's position myself I certainly wouldn't be going round and asking for you to pay to have my satellite dish moved for all of two weeks then back again. But then I have a full time job and other commitments so I don't watch a great deal of TV.

I could understand if the scaffholders had nicked the wheels off his car and the food out of his cupboards, but I can't have a lot of sympathy for someone getting their knickers in a twist over missing a few soaps and a couple of dodgy reality TV shows. It's just an inconvenience they will have to put up with for a short amount of time, similar to roadworks or electric/gas works outside your house which might mean service interruption (I suppose they are probably the type to moan to the council/utility companies about that too...).

You've already tried your best to rectify the situation and offered more than you are legally and morally obliged to offer your neighbour, if they are too bitter/greedy/moronic to accept your offer then be done with it and don't give them a penny.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Which one? The scaffolding, the satellite dish, the neighbours or the roof?

Carrie likes this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

There may be no legal obligation but in my opinion there's a moral obligation to ensure nothing you do affects your neighbours, or at the very least offer compensation; and compensation isn't 50/50 when the neighbours are not to blame for their signal not working. It should be 100%.

I am very disappointed in the current poll results (majority: tell the neighbours to do one). The Bit Tech community has always been generous and friendly (bar the odd exception) and the votes have taken me by surprise.

Hell, if everyone voting on this thread gives the OP £2, this situation will be over. I'm game, are the rest of you?

Either way, the OP should definitely eat a cheesecake. I will be this weekend!

20. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Pete, offering half is the fair and decent thing to do. He has no obligation, they have no rights. Take my example above about an extension - in that scenario would you suggest he pay for an extension to be built on his neighbour's house so they could still get a satellite signal? No you wouldn't, or if you did you're nuts with more money than sense. ;)

I voted cheesecake :D

Last edited: 22 Nov 2013