1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (E-ATX mod) FINAL PICTURES: 12th March - 2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 12 Dec 2012.

1. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

That white Prodigy is gonna look awesome with that mesh man! Nice video too. :)

2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a bunch :)

I'm considering perhaps painting the mesh, I can't decide!
    The future has to decide ;)

Netherless there will be lots of mesh of course :)

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

White prodigy with silver mesh is the absolute secks. See mine if you don't believe me. :p

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

You look like Ryan out of Coronation Street :D

5. mikejasonsmith

mikejasonsmith What's a Dremel?

These builds are amazing - Im new to here but cant help but be blown away by what you guys do.

Does anyone build these things to order? :)

6. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your comment and sorry for my late reply :)

I don't know anyone that does it, neither would I myself. Takes too much time! haha.

But my project log is structured so you basically could do it yourself if you'd like :)

/nikkop

7. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hiya guys!
    Hope you're all good.

Just want to let you know that I'm not dead! ;) I just have a lot of things going on in my life at the moment. Also, since I switched to a white Prodigy I had to do the steps all over again but it's coming together! ;)

I should however be able to post an update this weekend, hopefully.
    The project ain't far away from finished! ;)

Thanks
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

8. soxism

soxism What's a Dremel?

Glad to hear!

If you can Nikkop, drop us a few photos of the white case progressing along.

I just bought myself a white one, and very curious to see how your doing it all. :)

9. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Sorry for my late reply. I never noticed I got any :( Sorry!

However I've terrible at bringing an update as I haven't done so yet, I'm extremely sorry and I'm ashamed, a lot lol.
    However, I'm working harder on the project than ever before. I actually have to have the project finished this Wednesday. I will be showing "Big Bro' Prodigy" at worlds largest LAN-party, DreamHack here in Sweden, in GIGABYTE's booth.

That said I'm very far in and soon to be finished with the project. However, I'm sorry you haven't been able to see the procedure since a time back. When I come back from DreamHack I will be doing the updates that are left to do. I will of course show you the procedure like I've been doing so far, just a little later than expected haha.

Thanks for understanding
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

10. Fridge Gnome

Fridge Gnome Blue Everywhere

Can't wait to see it!

11. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

UPDATE 14/12 2013 - The case and it's parts are done

UPDATE 14/12 2013 - The case and it's parts are done

Hiya everyone!

Finally I've gotten the time to do an update! As I've mentioned the project is finished. However, this project log isn't yet so I'll update as soon as I have time! :)

I actually showcased this project on DreamHack, worlds largest LAN-party, so those who (mainly swedes) had the chance to see this project live in action! :)

I apologize for the time it has taken for me to do this. A lot of stuff in school and very little time overall have led to me not being able to do these updates.

Today it will be about mounting of the case parts, motherboard tray and mesh. Also about the side panels, the front and stuff alike. Let's go!

Competition!
    Would like to inform you that I've entered a competition with this mod. It's a competition that is being held by a modder and friend of mine - Johan Nyman @ MinimalisticPC. This competition is a case mod/scratch build competition so check it out if you are interested in entering :)

A notice!
    My last update was when I had the black Prodigy. I won a white Prodigy in a competition and I decided to use that instead as I thought it looked better. Therefor I won't document all steps from the start since I've already done so on the black one. I will continue from where I last stopped on the black case.

The motherboard tray and the mesh
    Here's where I ended the last time. I test mount the motherboard tray in the mesh and the mesh in the case. The
    holes in the bottom are of course cut out to be able to reach all the ports.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The motherboard tray is mounted with screws. I wanted to get away from this as rivets makes it more strong and sturdier while they take up less space. That's why I had to remove the thread where the screws are set.
    [​IMG]

I then shot a rivet to try it out and I liked it. This led to that I mounted the whole motherboard tray with rivets and I also mounted the mesh in the case with rivets for stability. It's now rock solid!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The power supply
    The mounting of the PSU was something I was wondering about how to do. I knew where it was going to sit (behind the motherboard tray) but I had no idea how to mount it.
    [​IMG]

I then remembered that my PSU has this rubber frame you can take off. I used this frame as a template of where the holes for the mounting should be set, a nice solution! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then drilled the holes and used screws to mount the PSU. Works perfect!
    [​IMG]

The top and the mesh
    I cut the hole in the top as I wanted it to be - a little difference from the black case where the hole was bigger. I realized I didn't need such a big hole so I made it smaller for stability.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mesh is of course going to be attached to the top. This picture is a old one but it shows how the mesh is going to look while on the top.
    [​IMG]

However, I had a revolutionary thought of what I wanted to do with the top as it felt pretty empty. I took the mesh and marked a couple of holes. My dad came by with a tool that would make some big holes easily. I have no idea what the tool is called but it worked perfect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I drilled some small holes so the tool could be used. The tool is then inserted in the hole and being used.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the results! The tool did an amazing job with cutting the holes and making them look good. The question is however, what will the holes be used for?! ;) I will show you in the upcoming update! :) I promise, they have a very meaningful usage.
    [​IMG]

The side panels
    One of the side panels is made the same way as the black one - a window with a edge.
    [​IMG]

The other side panel is getting modified as well. I put it on my kitchen table and did a hole with my saw. It was pretty hard to line it up as I wanted but I finally managed to.
    I then mounted a 240 fan grill for the radiator that is being put behind. Sexy![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front
    The front on the white and black Prodigy are actually quite different. The white Prodigy has a better front for me as I can fit my piece of mesh a lot better while it looks better at the same time. The holes on the left side I had to make for future mounting, you'll see why in the next update.
    [​IMG]

The empty case
    This is what the case looks like while it's empty with only the motherboard tray and the mesh (not the top).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To wrap it up:
    It's very nice to have started on the project log again and to be able to finish it off soon enough and show you the final results! As you can see in this update the case itself and it's parts (sidepanels, front, etc.etc.) are done! What is left to do is all the mounting of the components as the motherboard (Z77X-UP7) and graphics card (GTX 780) from GIGABYTE, as well as the water cooling loop from Aquatuning.

The next update will be done soon. I promise you you won't have to wait for months! :p
    Let me know what you think! :)

Thanks for following this project log!
    Best Regards
    Nikkop
    Nikkop

12. Fridge Gnome

Fridge Gnome Blue Everywhere

Looks great, can't wait to see the next update!

13. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Awesome stuff Nikkop. Keep up the good work.

14. gardnerphotos

gardnerphotos What's a Dremel?

looks great, looking forward to seeing it done :p

15. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Give us the next update Nikola! I know its there somewhere. :D

16. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Gah, seems like I forgot to reply to your kind comments even tho I read them, sorry!

Thanks a bunch! Next update coming today ;)

Thanks a lot hero1, appreciate it.

Thank you, there's only the updates left, one of them coming out today. So the update after the one coming out later today is the one that will be the last with final pictures! :)

Working on it, coming later today! ;)

Thank you all again.

17. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 24/01 2014 - Installation of the Water cooling from AquaTuning.

[​IMG]
    UPDATE 24/01 2014 - Installation of the Water cooling from AquaTuning.

Hiya all!

Finally I've had time to make another update! I'm sorry for the time taken since last time. I've had the toughest time in my studies so far so my spare time do work on this project has been minimal, if not non-existing. Anyways, I'm now back on track and I will finish this project log before January 31st!

Let's get down to business!

Below will be a update containing pictures of the products I'm being supplied with by AquaTuning and how I then install them all. There's however one thing with the pictures. Since I was super stressed before the exhibition I attended to I didn't have time to take any photos back then. That said, I had to take all these pictures in reverse, when I was taking the parts off. Therefore it might look a little weird out of a chronological order but I guess you understand :)

The first part will be about which water cooling components I will use and the second part how I install them all :)

[​IMG]
    I want to thank AquaTuning a lot once again for the products provided. Without you this project and the outcome wouldn't be possible.

The second package I receive from AquaTuning with a lot of good stuff! :D
    [​IMG]

Clear/transparent tubing from Masterkleer with a diameter of 16/10! Nice, thick edges that will look amazing with the coolant.
    Masterkleer Slang PVC 16/10mm (3/8"ID) Klar 3,3m (10ft) "Retail Package"
    [​IMG]

Fittings, to attach the tubing to the different parts, with the diameter of 16/10 in different shapes.

8x 16/10mm compression fitting 90° revolvable G1/4 - knurled - matte black
    [​IMG]

3x 16/10mm compression fitting 45° revolvable G1/4 - knurled - matte black
    [​IMG]

2x 16/10mm compression fitting G1/4 - knurled - matte black
    [​IMG]

To be able to connect some things I had to get my hands on a pair of special fittings, with the same connector in both ends.
    2x Alphacool HF L-connector 90° - G1/4 revolvable - 2x outer threads - Deep Black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This on as well to be able to connect to different parts.
    Alphacool double nipple G1/4 outer thread to G1/4'' outer thread with O-ring - deep black
    [​IMG]

Fillports that's going to be used for something very special. Interesting!
    6x Fillport black nickel - knurled - Universal
    [​IMG]

Enough about fittings! Here's some more fun stuff.

High-performance CPU-block to cool the CPU. Package with the block, installation parts, thermal paste and instructions/manual.
    Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Black Chrome - Edition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reservoir/tank for the loop. I ordered a extra tube since of 15cm the one of 25cm was a little too long I realised.
    Alphacool HF 38 Cape Cyclen 250 + Alphacool Plexi Tube 60x150mm
    [​IMG]

Thin and great performing radiators. Only 30mm thick which will be perfect for this compact build.
    2x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm
    [​IMG]

Powerful and surprisingly quiet pump.. The size and orientation will be perfect for this build.
    Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1T
    [​IMG]

"Top" for the pump that enables installation of fittings. It also improves the flow and sound-level, a nice extra thing :)
    Alphacool Laing DDC Acetal top
    [​IMG]

Coolant of high quality. Looks like milk and I love it! :D
    Mayhems Pastel - Ice White 1000ml
    [​IMG]

Mounting for a 240 radiator. I'll need it for one of the radiators and it will fit perfectly.
    Phobya radiatorstöd - svart - Dual - 2x120mm
    [​IMG]

Those were the products that I will use, supplied by AquaTuning.

Shall we take a look of how I installed it all? :D

The cPU-block in place.
    Very clean and stylish and it fits great with the looks since the copper-sticker blends well with the orange color of the motherboard
    Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Black Chrome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pump, Laing DDC with Alphacool's top installted with fittings, a double-sided G1/4 in the top and a 90c fitting as output.
    Also attached on a self-adhesive vibration-absorbing mat.
    Laing DDC-pump 12V DDC-1T
    [​IMG]

This is the reason I needed that special fitting in the top of the pump!
    I built a pump/res-combo myself where the pump will suck water from the reservoir.
    I think it looks great and is practical at the same time since it takes up less space than if installed separately and I can fit a big reservoir.
    http://www.aquatuning.se/product_info.php/info/p6155_Alphacool-HF-38-Cape-Cyclen-150.html
    [​IMG]

I install the pump with some mounting I made myself, consisting of skrews, nuts and bricks that goes thru the case. A little hard to get on picture but I guess you understand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The radiators, 2x 240mm which I know is overkill for a CPU but I mostly do it as a challenge to fit them both :)
    Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm
    [​IMG]

Radiator #1 will be put in the front next to the motherboard.
    It may look like the radiator is blocking all the ports of the motherboard but it isn't.
    With a little modification of a few contacts from fans the connectors fit without problems. One of the PCI-E ports is unreachable, however since I only use 1x GPU and no other expansion cards it won't be a problem at all :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Radiator #2 is attached to the radiator-mount and it's the one to be placed behind the motherboard tray.
    The radiator.mount is needed so I can attach it in the front from the inside with help of rivets. It was pretty hard to get it inside but I finally managed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture of the radiators, pump + res and fittings plus all fillports in the case are attached! As you can see there's a couple of fittings in the top of the case.
    Have you started to understand what the holes in the mesh and the fillports are used for? ;)
    [​IMG]

The fillports are used to attach the fittings to the mesh in the top. But why? Let's find out!
    ]http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag128/nikkoprojects/21_zps35196da5.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the top of the mesh there's now 6x 90c fittings!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here you can see it with tubing. Yes, I've chosen to have tubing on the top of the case that will go thru all components! :)
    The reason is first of all because I think it looks great, it suits the industrial feeling that I've given this mod. Second, it's actually practical as the tubes doesn't need to be inside of the case which would have been very narrow. I'm very satisfied with the outcome.[​IMG]

I won't reveal more than this about the water cooling yet! In the next update, which will be the very last where I show the final pictures, is where you will see it all togheter :)
    Below are a few other installations that are essential, of course :)

Installing the enormous GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 780 OC Windforce 3x 450W. It wasn't an easy task to be honest, haha. Took 10 minutes and a lot of brain- and muscle-power. It felt like I was playing Tetris with circles - impossible. However I managed to get it in, but damn it's tight! :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The back of the motherboard tray with the radiator, SSD and power supply. A little messy with the cables since I didn't have the time to fix it perfectly before the exhibition, but as it's not seen with the side-panel on I didn't feel it was critical.
    [​IMG]

Since I've cut a hole for the grill where the original power-/reset buttons were I was in need to get a new button, of course. I did it with the help of this nice looking switch that I made a hole for in the mesh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White 120mm Spectre Pro PWM-fans from BitFenix that was to be used for the exhibition. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get them in time, but here they are! :)
    [​IMG]

Sleeved extenders in different shapes and sizes from BitFenix.
    http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/premium-modding/alchemy-cables/
    [​IMG]

At last:

Once again it feels nice to have posted this update! The water cooling from AquaTuning was indeed very fun to install as it was an extreme task to accomplish. The hardest part was to find out how I was going to make it all work and in which order to install it - I didn't have too much spare place to use, haha. As I've said this project has been at least 80% planning and figuring stuff out while the rest has been the modification itself. A lot to think about before making that final cut! :)

The next update that will be released will be the last one of this project log, containing the final photos of the finished mod/product! That's why I don't want to reveal it all in this update, I want the last one to be a little special! :)

Thanks for following and supporting my project log. It's you, my readers, that makes me want to continue and finish this even tho there have been some tough times :)

Thanks for reading and supporting me.
    Best regards
    Nikkop

18. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Amazing job Nikko!

This is one of those project logs that I wish I had been around for from the beginning.

Stellar work Nikko, I'd have to say the tubing going out of the top of the case is definitely awesome. Only thing I would have done differently is to use Orange Pastel fluid, but still, amazing build, amazing. :clap:

Side note, don't EVER buy Mayhem's Aurora Fluid that has the silver swirling in it like this example: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17691/ex-liq-272/Mayhems_Aurora_Coolant_Concentrate_-_250mL_-_Nebula_Blue_.html?tl=g30c337s1809&id=RwjnSKEf&mv_pc=10882

It gunked up in my CPU and GPU blocks and stuck all over the inside of my tubing, effectively fogging it up, never never never buy it.

This is what my clear Tygon tubing looked like after a month of usage, it's hard to see due to me not having a decent picture for whatever reason anymore but you can see it's super foggy.

[​IMG]

19. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for your comment, I appreciate it.

I actually considered the GIGABYTE Orange pastel but I chose the milky one because white felt more right. I wish I had the chance to try them both out but netherless I'm happy with the white one :)

Thanks for the tip. That looks yucky :( Did you manage to clean it somehow?

I've read that the Aurora Fluid should only be used for display/show-off and therefore only be in the system for a short period of time - it says so here on their website.
    They also say - "Do not use Mayhems Pastel with Tygon tubing as Mayhems Pastel seems to react with it changing the colour of the tubing to a greenish colour."

I guess you had two bad things then, Tygon tubing with Aurora :(

Hope you managed to sort it out and thanks once again!
    /nikkop

20. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

No, I didn't manage to clean it, I imagine I could with a soft brush of some kind with a strong metal handle, sort of like a mini chimney sweep.

Well, it looks like I'm the fool times 2.... Mayhem really needs to tell their distributors to post that information when selling it on their websites because there are soooo many bad reviews!! I'm glad now that I didn't go around leaving bad reviews, I would have felt super foolish!

Your build is great whether you use orange or white, it still is a great concept and great color balance. Another user said something to the effect of "It's sitting on your desk, you have to like it. Do what YOU think is best!" and I agree! I'll have this log bookmarked for a long while, I'll probably be skimming it daily when I get my Prodigy and Z77 ITX board. Yes, it won't be an ATX or E-ATX mod but I really like your ideas with the mesh etc.

-Robb

EDIT: Chrome metal piping and black fittings would have been siiiiiiick. But like I said, amazing either way equally. Especially the tube routing on top of the case, sick!

Last edited: 30 Jan 2014