1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards CPU upgrade for FOXCONN M61PMV

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Andrew G, 8 Dec 2013.

1. Andrew G

Andrew G Where's my Crayons!

Hi Guys N Girls,

I am looking to upgrade the CPU on a FOXCONN M61PMV hopefully with something "new" so that there is a warranty rather than the normal fleebay.

The board supports the following CPU: AMD Phenom™ , Athlon™ 64x2, Athlon™ 64, processors, Sempron™, Socket AM2+/AM2

The current CPU is the Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2.2Ghz) and the PC a Packard Bell iMedia would this mean I could plug in a CPu with a corresponding 65w TDP? So something like, AMD Athlon X4 740 3.20GHz (Socket FM2) Trinity Quad Core Processor. I thought that I could maybe do a cheap upgrade to give an old system a new lease of life.

Anything I have missed please ask, advice welcome

Many Thanks

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The board you have uses Socket AM2 or AM2+ CPUs, that Athlon X4 uses Socket FM2 so it's totally incompatible. Are you using the PC for CPU intensive tasks? That Athlon 64 X2 you have now isn't a bad chip for general use, an SSD would improve your Windows experience much, much more than a CPU upgrade.

3. Andrew G

Its used for mostly general use, web, accounts, office tasks. However I do play some games (world of tanks, League of Legends) and I had thought since its a dual core a quad core may give me the 5-6 months I need to save up for a new machine. Which would probably come from the likes of Scan/Aria/OC'ers.

Its an iMedia machine and I am 99% sure the copy of windows in on a hidden petition, how would I go about re-installing windows with an SSD? Also the board being old would it seriously bottle neck the SSD?

Would I need to go to the like of fleebay to get what I am looking for? What would be a good quad core for this era of machine to look for?

Many Thanks

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Perhaps have a look around for Phenom X4 9450e. I think that's the highest spec 65w AM2+ quad. Personally I would go for used one to spend the least money. I've bought several used from ebay without any problems, just need to buy from good sellers like professional refurbishers.
    SSD improves pretty much any machine. I notice big difference with even pata ssd vs hdd on my ancient socket A Geode itx system. Even if it can't be taken full advantage of, it's always an improvement over hdd as long as the ssd is actually faster read/write since it will always have faster access times.

5. Andrew G

Thanks for input much appreciated :clap: