1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lexan Cube Needs Glue

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Moobie, 23 Jan 2002.

1. Moobie

Moobie What's a Dremel?

This will be my case for my new MP3 Plaver/PC, only trouble is I need some strong, clear-setting, polycarbonate adhesive to stick it together with.

[​IMG]

Any ideas where I would find this sort of glue?

2. linear

linear Minimodder

3. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

4. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

i glued up a small box of lexan with FIX-ALL ADHESIVE from Super Glue corp.

its gel like and you let it setup first and then you cant move the parts once you put them together.

5. linear

linear Minimodder

I could give you loads of US sources....

Most peeps use solvent cement, it melts the edges slightly and they reform. The basic stuff is methylene chloride. If you can get your hands on that, it should work. But the various commercial products like Weldon #3 and #4 use additional chemicals to a) reduce the tendency of the solvent to absorb water and b) alter the time it takes for the solvent to dry.

The water thing is fairly touchy--the joint you get will look perfectly clear only under the best of conditions, low humidity, proper temperature, perfectly smooth edges, etc. The commercial cements help you improve your odds of success somewhat. I think Weldon #4 is recommended for polycarbonate (Lexan) but I don't know where to tell you to get it.

More weld-on love: http://www.ipscorp.com/ind_html/acrylics.html

6. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

If all else fails either silicon or superglue?

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

super glue is brittle ant clouds up the plastic, silcon is rubbery and will easily come apart

I got some stuff thats real nasty stuff, its two part stuff, one bottle (the hardner) come in very big thick glass bottle and the bloke that brought it to the house wore huge gloves to carry it ... nice stuff :D

Anyway it sets totally clear and it bonds as strong as the acrylic is (ie creates a bond that isn't weak so it snaps easily)

Anyway after saying all that I have no idea what its called or where to get it, but thats the stuff u want and I presume one of those links above will tell u what its called.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There's a disaster story on the Ars Technica forum today, someone made a water-cooling reservoir in araldite-glued plastic and a joint failed a few weeks later...wet, wet, wet.

Moral is, use the proper stuff for the job. MEK (methyl-ethyl ketone) or methyl-methacrylate solvent-welds good joints, but can cause crazing if left wet too long.

Superglue initially makes a good strong joint, but a year later it seems to fall apart.

Ask the experts at the plastic suppliers, or get the maker's data sheet. Some info, if only the address, should be on that protection paper.

9. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

MEK is what they use to permanently set the huuuuuge Lego displays - melts and reforms plastic. Probably bad to swallow, or breathe, or be near, or think about :--)

Gordon

10. Moobie

Moobie What's a Dremel?

Well thanks for such a warm reception guys, I will have to swing by here more often, generally i tend to hide over at the [H].

Anyway phoned up my fav platics company today, and I have some knid of vile solvent to try. Will see how that works.

Keep you posted and thanks again for the welcome.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've made a few perspex tanks at work, we used 1/8" perspex rod dowels to help assembly - stops the sheets sliding about while you're setting the clamps.

12. Moobie

Moobie What's a Dremel?

Where do you get such things from?

Cheers