1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any other migraine sufferers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 9 Dec 2013.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I had a migraine today. I typically average about one a year. I got the warning signs just after starting work this morning (pretty exploding colours in my left vision) but ignored them and ended up paying for it. This one actually almost made me vomit - never had that before. I managed to make it home and have slept for a few hours. All gone now.

Any other migraine sufferers out there? I'm thankful for the fact that mine are infrequent and comparatively mild.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I had one a couple of months ago that was so bad it hurt to move my eyes. Horrible things.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I suffer infrequent migraines - 2ish a year I think, they give me extreme light sensitivity and nausea paired with absolutely blinding pain in my head, seem to be unaffected by lifestyle or diet but usually last 24 - 48 hours. Haven't had one for some time, maybe 4 - 5 months.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

my son suffers daily - he has Pizotofen (3mg daily) and imigram for when they start , currently a packet of imigram lasts about 10 days (doesn't take it every day)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have them on occasion (one this morning, actually). I have learned to nip them in the bud.

When I get the visuals I go through a relaxation exercise with particular focus on relaxing scalp and neck muscles. Mine appear to be vaso-constrictive in nature so following that with a hot shower helps, in combination with 1 to 2 co-codamol. After that I may have a slightly tender head for most of the day, but I can function without problems.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I get them about twice a month. Only way for me to recover is a dark room and tablets with some sleep.

7. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Yes my daughter has them now and can be frequent. I had them worse in my teens and twenties, I use to take migraleve and a dark room is a must.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

I used to get them frequently in my teen years, with only 1-2 a year now. I think perhaps I could up that figure to 5-6 if I wasn't able to deal with the majority of them. I always get the blurry/strange vision almost exclusively in my left eye and light sensitivity before the head pain and nausea starts, if I catch it quick I can take some tablets, relax and close my eyes to beat it. Sometimes I can't afford that luxury and so I just have to try my best to get home or a place I can relax as I know I am in for a world of pain :p

One of the first times I went to my girlfriends house at around 16 years old I spent a couple of hours on the bathroom floor after getting a nasty migraine and vomiting...

I also used to get some pretty nasty 'icepick' headaches for 6-12 months in my mid-teens, I remember the first time I got one of those... I was walking through a supermarket car park with my Mum and as good as fell to my knees from the shock.

9. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Migraines have lessened as I've gotten older thankfully, reason I've never drunk alcohol that much is because even 2-3 pints used to often lead to a migraine the next day and a day of throwing up in a dark room, I also can't tolerate a lot of heat and too much sun when we get it can lead to a migraine so as for drinking out in the sun...FORGET IT:nono:
    Went to the Reading rock festival years ago, very hot day sat in the middle of 1000's of people drinking and ended up in the medical tent for 10 hours, at least I missed Staus Quo :lol:

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

They're common in my family, my mum especially. She can be in bed unable to do anything for days at a time. My brother also gets them quite often but not quote so severe. I haven't had one in years thankfully, used to often in my teens (seems quite a theme here), but i do have the most horrific hangovers of all time which may be related. The kind that feel like someone's constantly tightening a vice across your temples and vomiting past the bile till the next evening. Recently found naratriptan to be amazingly effective in getting rid of them.

11. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Nope have no idea what it's like....but it sounds horrible.

12. Williz

Williz Minimodder

I get them usually under 2 conditions

1. Not enough sleep
    2. If I skip a meal sometimes

Mine are more annoying than painful though as I only get visual migraines where I can't see ****.

13. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

For me the triggers are MSG, cheese, mushrooms, anything with malt - maltodextrin and malted barley flour are in way too many things. Magnesium supplements helped for a while. Fortunately I can often head them off with 400mg of ibuprofen (but only the "liquid gels" seem to work for me).

My advice is Don't ignore them if you feel them coming. I also find that I can't sleep when I have a migraine. When the pain subsides I feel drained and can sleep. until then I just lie there thinking of the pain. However, I found that playing games distracts me - nothing too intense nor too easy. Something that takes most of my attention but not a great amount of thought.