1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Gumtree warning

Discussion in 'General' started by Si_the-dude, 12 Dec 2013.

1. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Evening all

This thread is really a combination warning/rant about a guy doing business on the good old internet who goes by the name of ***deleted***. He may pop up selling PC hardware on Gumtree in Hull, and I would advise against buying from him.

Be careful guys, and have a Merry Christmas!!

EDIT:

After careful consideration I've edited the post more heavily. Apologies, and thanks to Nexxo for talking me out of my rant.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2013
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Not a nice situation to be in.

If you need some assistance with the court docs, drop me a line.

Si_the-dude likes this.
  3. Si_the-dude

Thanks for the offer buddy, I really really appreciate it. I may drop you a line if this doesn't get sorted out.

I've e-mailed the guy to pretty much say 'I know more than enough about you, I WILL go to the police and the courts. I don't want to, and if you refund me I am actually prepared to just drop it all' and it seems to be his plan is just to bury his head in the sand and hope that it goes away.

Thanks again mate :D

Last edited: 12 Dec 2013
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No worries. I'm not in the habit of sending £400,-- to strangers on trust. Especially when they live in Hull. :p But while you wish him to consider the legal ramification of defrauding you, you may wish to consider the ramifications of slander (remember: innocent until proven guilty). Is making accusations on a public forum really the way to go?

5. Si_the-dude

I totally agree, although at the same time we do that here all of the time.

Also, it's libellous rather than slanderous - and only in the case where it's derogatory or defamatory. I have amended the rant element accordingly, and now everything else in the post is factual. Thanks :thumb:

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Are you in need of a half decent gpu to tide you over? Might have something to help you out like a 460?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Si_the-dude likes this.
  7. Si_the-dude

If you're after a nomination for my Christmas hero award, you're in there.

That would be amazing mate. If you're looking to sell a 460 just drop me a PM with details of how much you want. If you're talking about a loan until I get something sorted, that would also be amazing - again PM me and let me know. I'll cover all postage etc. of course.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I much preferred this thread when it had libel in it :(

9. Si_the-dude

LOL. That makes two of us! :D

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I prefer that version :naughty:

11. jinq-sea

No worries. You've really got to give all opportunities for it to be rectified prior to bringing in the 'big guns' to be honest, so that's the right thing to do. If you have his postal address, I'd be minded to send something via Special Delivery or the like, setting out your request for reimbursement which you can prove he signed for. It'll do no harm, gives you some more evidence of your efforts to recover it, and might just show that you are serious.

You can also set a fairly tight deadline before you'll commence proceedings that way too.

PS If GaryP is reading this (or Kov, for that matter), I'm using my legal powers for good, fear not ;)

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I would like to pipe up and say jing-sea is a stand up guy. He also sits down every now and again but I would endorse his product/services.

Tangster likes this.
  13. Si_the-dude

Well, after formally notifying him of my contact with the police, his bank's fraud squad and the courts he appeared via e-mail today. He's been sick apparently. What dreadful timing. The money is on it's way back into my account apparently. Fingers crossed! Thanks to everyone who's helped. Thanks to Bdigital and Jinqsea for being top blokes! :D

14. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Glad to hear it matey, was getting worried for a minute!

15. jinq-sea

Thanks for the recommendation/endorsement - much appreciated. I'm also VERY glad that he's re-appeared and is returning your cash.

Ill? Convenient. I'll not say anything actionable though...

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Funny how suddenly people can recover, isn't it :lol:

17. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

See I'm still mean, I would drop a note to trading standards just to keep an eye on the guy

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, the correct way to deal with these people is to crush them, burn their villages and hear the lamentations of their women. Or to take off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. In any case, you need a bigger boat. And guns. Lots of guns.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Lol Nexxo enjoying not being a mod :hehe: welcome to the dark side

20. Si_the-dude

Hahaha. I might have daydreamed a few scenarios like that ... but favoured a strictly legal approach in the end.

The money has just reached my account and I'm ecstatic. I've withdrawn the claim but am now facing a moral dilemma regarding whether to pursue this with the Humberside police. They're expecting a call back by tomorrow am ish. I'm trying to assess whether it's an opportunistic guy who has taken advantage of my trust/stupidity in order to get money to buy Christmas presents for his sickly, starving family VS. serial Gumtree conman. Oh sorry, there is a third scenario - that he was genuinely sick :rolleyes: Decisions decisions