1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Personally I wouldn't go near a Fatbike unless you live in Hobbiton/on a beach. And even then only if you want it as your second bike.

How offroad do you want to go? Because hybrids tend to be quite good these days, with or without front suspension would make more sense. That 29er you've linked will be great off road, but not QUITE as good on road. That said I've done L2B on my 26" MTB in the past and had a great time. Also being an off road single speed it won't be very highly geared so it won't be very fast either, you'll find that you get overtaken a lot.

Whats peoples road cycling winter gear like?

I got some Endura Deluge Winter Gloves and some DHB arm/leg warmers the other day and it made SUCH a difference. Both are great, gloves are a tight fit, so get a size bigger than their size guide says.

I'm in the market for a new jacket, but I'm not sure whether to go down the winter jersey route or the jacket route.

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Whats the % split between commuting and off-road? You don't want a road bike, what about Cyclo Cross, Giant make the Revolt and Anyroad which are along the lines of a cross bike but have been modified for commuting (i.e. in the last year or 2, people have been buying cross bikes and making them suit their commuting needs, these have been designed as a cross/commuter).

If not, then I'd say you were looking along the right lines with the 29er, get some puncture proof slicks/semi-slicks for Mon-Fri and keep the knobbly's for Sat/Sun, though on the commute you'll probably run out of gears when giving it some.

Trek do some nice 29ers in the X-Caliber range, you'll probably want to look at the 8 or above, Giant are okay, but they are pushing the 27.5 not 29.

I'm currently running with Altura Mayhem and Altura 360 jackeys, the Mayhem is lined so I only rock that one when it's really cold, I usually wear the 360 with a base layer and a t-shirt.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2013
  4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Winter gear? Oh boy...

90% of the time it's Gore Windstopper leg and arm warmers with a random gilet. Assos Fugu or Endura Baa Baa socks with Assos Mille oversocks. Sometimes I'll have on an Endura merino baselayer. I don't wear gloves unless it's raining.

If it's really cold I have an Endura Stealth jacket and unpadded Endura thermolite biblongs that I wear over my bibtights. I also have Endura 3/4 padded bibtights but I hate the padding... it's so big it's got it's own postcode.

What's your budget Lance? I'd personally go for a lightweight, waterproof to pair with other layers. Layers are the key.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

can someone recommend me some decent toe clip pedals that dont break the bank? i got some off ebay for £11 and there shyyyyyyyyt

6. Lance

Budget is minimal, I basically have to cycle on a budget, with bills to pay off and a wedding to pay for.

I was looking at a DHB Turbulence and Cosmo to go over my other layers. The cosmo looks better but I'd have to wait until Jan to get it, which is a bit of an issue as I intend to be cycling over the christmas period.

I have also been looking at a Rapha Hard Shell and Rapha Winter Jersey and as lovely as they are, and to my taste, and normally I would just get them on the grounds of quality, I would have to miss out on too much to get them.

Which system do you want? I use these and for £7 less you can get these. Whats great is that A) you can use them on a spin bike, which I do twice a week B) you can ride without your cleats on, meaning when you just want to pop around the corner to a mates house you just can.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2013
  7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

ive a set of M424's quite enjoy them even unclipped.

Winter gears is easy, normal gloves with some thin thermal ones underneath, hoodie base layer running trousers padded liner short and baggy over shorts. Sometimes a buff if its very chilly out. If it rains then i have a pack away rainproof in the back pack.

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Thanks guys, I have a trials background so suspension is anathema to me. My current Kona Caldera has front suspension which was great for riding in the Alps but I do not want it in the UK.

The mix will be mainly riding to find trails (albeit flat trails in Surrey) with some road riding. I am going to go and try the Cannondale :)

9. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yeah, although the Rapha stuff is top quality it's not worth £200 and £100 more than the dhb ones you've linked. Personally I'd rather have double the amount of garments in winter. Having lots of layers and options to choose from and rotate while others dry is a big bonus. Winter stuff just tends to get battered. Endura and Gore and my go to winter brand. Assos and Castelli for the warmer, more fun months.

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Toe clips mate. pedals with hoops for your feed. Not clip-ins

[​IMG]

Thats what im using at the moment and there just crap.

11. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Search for MKS Toe Clips, like this.

Is it the toe clip part you keep breaking or the pedal? All cheap pedals are pants, get something half decent and they will last a lot longer.

fuus likes this.
  12. Lance

Mate I need to keep up the jones though.

My lovely quiet route must have had 30 cyclists on it yesterday when I went out. Never seen so many even mid summer and they were all wearing amazing gear.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I had that up where i go, though i was alright in my usual clobber an bike, bunch of teenagers turn up on Nukeproof Scalps an Giant Reigns. I felt somewhat impoverished with my Scandal.

14. Lance

As Cookie said search MKS then.

I have some from them and they're just a step above everything else. Also if you get leather straps they tend to be a bit more steady, which means they don't flat about when you put your feet into them. Kinoko cycles have a good range. If you're based in London they have a store just off Regent street in Golden Square, soho.

I have these with these. Only issue is when you turn and don't have your feet in, they can catch on the floor, as they're metal, and quite tall on a MTB. (clip-less is on my Roadie)

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

My winter gear unless it gets tonkingly cold like snow, is still Shorts, Brooks Goretex shoes , Gore Goretex Gloves & a Craghoppers Goretex wind proof with a jumper under it.

16. Lance

17. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

That video is awesome.

18. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

What a feat and what a view.

19. identikit

identikit Minimodder

London... quiet route... say whaaaaa?!

20. Lance