1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Cheap smart phone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guinevere, 18 Dec 2013.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Hi

Any recommendations for a cheap smart(isn) phone readily available on the high street? I'm looking for a crimbo present for my Ma to replace what is possible the worst phone in the world (Some resistive stylus based crash machine with a god awful screen and a menu system that as bad as bad can be).

OS isn't important, app choice is irrelevant. Phone & SMS is where it's at.

Unfortunately she thinks she needs a smart phone, when in reality a Doro unit would be perfect for her needs.

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

3. defined

defined Botch-Job

that's a pretty good phone for the price, was actually thinking of getting one myself until i realized there was no SD slot, why do manufactures keep leaving this out, especially on a 8gb phone

EDIT: also seems to be out of stock at tesco

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Motorola are owned by Google, who are pushing their cloud storage of all your media.

I don't see a lack of an SD Card as a bad thing... with Play Music, Play Books and G+ image upload I barely have anything on my actual handset now except a few 'offline' albums.

5. defined

defined Botch-Job

I suppose it depends where you live, if your in cities then cloud storage isn't really a problem, where as i live in the welsh valleys and internet signal isn't always the best.

After the phones software it probably only leaves around 6gb (guess) which can disappear quickly after a few games, apps, pics and albums. For me i wouldn't take less than 32GB without SD storage

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

That's tesco 'direct' (online only) stock levels, their actual stores stock levels aren't part of that system.

Yeah depends on your requirements, but for a mum who's unlikely to have much media to store or games installed it's a great budget phone.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Moto G is streets ahead of anything at that price. Nice res screen and powerful too.

8. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Lumia 520 is definitely worth a look as well at less than £100 - it'll feel far more premium than the price would suggest. Windows phone seems to suit new smartphone users more than Android too.

9. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

Nokia Lumia 820 is the best choice in the smartphone world. Good dual core processor, high screen resolution, 8MPX camera.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2013
  10. rollo

rollo Modder

It's also twice the budget if not 3 times. Helps to read the topic fokes.

Moto g or lumia 520 would be my choice in that price range.

Seen second hand iphone 4 in that price bracket also but not sure if head down that route of second hand with no warranty.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Lumia 820 can be found for around £150 - £200 online, but at the end it depends what you're willing to spend. WP8 has been touted as the phone OS for "new" smartphone users on a number of different sites I've read.

Moto G is probably still your best bet though, cheap, capable, better screen than the 820 and I believe the 520 as well, it got fairly good battery scores iirc on Anands review - posted today.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7586/motorola-moto-g-review

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1 for a Windows Phone in general (with the 520 being the obvious choice)

13. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

+1 for the Nokia Lumia 520. My Dad, who isn't tech savvy, had an android and hated it.

I got him a Lumia 520 and he loves it. He thinks it's the best phone he ever had.

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Moto G is incredible, nice screen, good brightness, I have an 8Gb one in my hands right now to tide me over after cracking my Xperia Z screen, it feels faster than the Z :(

Yes there is a lot of things it doesn't have but what it does have is good, the battery life is awesome too, twice as long as my Z.

15. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Note that the moto g takes a micro-sim not the more normal mini-sim. Making a micro-sim out of a mini one involves cutting plastic off the edges, either with a small cutting device or scissors/craft knife.

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

This.

Nothing else comes close for the money. The 16Gb version will be worth the extra outlay if she uses any apps or music at all, but for basic functionality 8Gb would be enough.

17. Ganiy

Ganiy What's a Dremel?

Cannot tell anything about Moto G. I have never had any experience with that.

18. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Santa got me a Moto G today, was impressed that he had opened the box and charged it for me!

Have to say it is a nice phone, feels well built aswell as having very good specs for the price. Small downsides as mentioned before are lack of SD card slot, no removeable battery, and also it takes micro sims. If you have the more normal mini sim then you have to trim it with scissors, buy a small hole puncher type device, or order a micro sim from your provider.

It is due to get android 4.4 kitkat in january for the UK market, the US already have it, any way I can trick the update procedure and get 4.4 early? Have used the built in update firmware utility and it just says no updates available.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

+1 for the moto G or lumia 520

i'm waiting for the CDMA moto G to come out so i can change out my crappy LG phone for one :lol:

a used samsung galaxy s2 might be good though, don't know how cheap they are in the UK however