1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD checking

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by goldstar0011, 31 Dec 2013.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I suspect my 2tb drive is on it's way out so I've pulled all the data off it.

Smart data is saying "Ultra DMA CRC Error Count" but I did have to replace a damaged cable not so long ago.
    [​IMG]

It's now in another PC ready for checks and stuff.
    I've ran HDD regenerator on it and now writing 1's and 0's to it.

What else can I do to check it's ok or defiantly goosed?

Thanks

2. Andrew G

Andrew G Where's my Crayons!

Go to manufactures website, Western Digitals website in this case by the look of the part number char set (this goes for most/all HD manufactures) and download their tools normally in ISO format although I think these days they are working towards more friendly to use versions, you then burn to a CD/DVD which will make that CD/DVD bootable. Restart machine with it in drive and press the relevant key as PC loads (F8 or F12} depends on manufacture to get the boot menu up and boot from CD/DVD/BluRay drive. The toolset will run some test and generate a report for you. IF the drive it fails this test then the drive is RIP. If still in warranty you can the send the drive via RMA for replacement. I have always thought that the DOS run versions are some how more rigorous however I could be wrong and the windows bases ones are just as good.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

WDs Data Lifeguard software is slow, buggy and not overly user friendly. I'd use GSmartControl. Load it up, right click on your drive, Perform Tests and execute the short one. If it passes, then do the long one. GSmartControl runs the inbuilt diagnostic tests of the drive.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I've run HDD Regenerator twice, 1st time had a few delays and repaired sectors, 2nd had this

[​IMG]

I used life guard to write the ones and zeros already, I'll try GSmart now

Thanks

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Gsmart wouldn't run so I at least ran an error scan, looks ok to me

[​IMG]

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I've just had a WD20EARS fail on me - two swallows don't make a summer, but are there more ... ?