1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Games of 2013

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 31 Dec 2013.

1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I was hoping for Deadlight to be in there but I know there is a lot of competition for the top ehh, 11 spaces ! Good list anyways journalist peoples, all the best for the year ahead.

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Since when do indie games not count as games anymore? They're just as much "exclusives". (a worthless concept, and I don't understand why it's so important to some people that a title is "exclusive". Why wouldn't you want a great game out on multiple platforms so more people can enjoy it?)

If a lot of the best games on PC this year were made by independent studios, that's a great thing. Just look at RockPaperShotgun's Goatee list: have you ever seen a year with such diverse awesome games?

I really don't think 2013 was a mediocre year for games, let alone a bad one.

--

I think Bit-Tech made a pretty fair list, and - even if it may be pushing the term "Game of the Year" a bit - if HL2 with the Rift was their greatest gaming experience of the year, why shouldn't it be number 1? It's their list, meant to reflect their opinions, not to confirm yours.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I'm glad to see Tomb Raider here. I thought it was a fantastic game. It did lack in certain areas (a bit linear at times, some SIMON like sequences) but what I liked most about the game was that it oozed quality. The voice acting was good, the story was quite good too (if you didn't skip it) and the way it played out was superb.

Lara turns from a quite placid young woman into a killing machine.

I think if more software houses put some money into the production of the game it would be a better world.

It's kinda like the NFS Underground games. The first two were done by EA America and they really spared no expense. They had amazing soundtracks and a few famous faces. NFSU II took it one stage further, and even had musicians make unique songs for the EATRAX soundtrack. I loved Snoop's mash up of Riders on the storm by The Doors.

Then they handed it to Black Box (some Canadian outfit) and ever since the games just feel like watered down shells of the first two. And the reason is EA cutting costs. The problem is that these cost cuts are clearly evident from the moment you fire up the game. Poor voice acting, poor music (no big name top ten songs) and so on.

The gaming industry isn't just a never ending Golden Goose. At some point you need to put some money back into it, instead of just pumping out multi player games that rely on the players to make the game rather than the developers.

The last game I played (apart from TR) that truly felt like some serious hard work went into it was Fallout 3. I would probably say the same thing for Skyrim but it's not my cup of tea (I'm more of an Indiana Jones person rather than a Star Wars or LOTR person).

4. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

You make a quality argumet there buddy... I reckon my issue was perhaps to do with the fact I like my games to be big, cinetmatic, story-driven extravaganzas that capitivate and evtertain as well as stimulate the ol' grey matter a bit if possible. A lot of indie games by definition focus on the cerebral to the detriment of everything else, for perfectly justifiable reasons, of course.

I just lament how the PC appears to be moving towards the trend for games being common or gardne DIY projects rather than blockbusters like the consoles seem to get.

Although Witcher 3 and TESO will hopefully help change that!

:)

5. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Not sure that #1 spot is entirely deserved!

Having played a bit of HL2 with the Oculus Rift, I think it will be a significantly better experience by the end of 2014 than what it is now. The low resolution of the Dev Kit does impact on the immersion, and some movements don't carry over perfectly (when sitting, having to tilt your head a full 90 degrees up or down when using a ladder is quite uncomfortable).

Definitely think HL2 and Oculus Rift is more of a "One to watch" than "Best of 2013"!

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I knew the negative Nancys would pounce on the Oculus Rift. Keep judging things before you have tried them, that is a great way to go through life.

Or you could get off your arse and go to a convention and actually see how awesome the thing is.
    Oh wait, its going to cost more than 15 pounds (who the frack uses that boutique currency anyway??) so you kids will then call it too expensive when its listed at a reasonable 700 euros.

Brit-tech Negatives strike again, you guys are a laugh.

7. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Blasphemy.

Console-only games should not be included in any "Best games of the year" list.

You can't list a game where the Gaming Master Race can't play.

:(

/sulk

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Keep on (t)rolling. Or not, it was boring about 4 months ago.

9. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I hope that wasn't targeted at me! I think the Oculus Rift is fantastic, only the consumer version will be so much better than the dev kit, and HL2 isn't my favourite Rift game!

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Was on your side with papers please until I couldnt work out how to even detain someone :<

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

It only presents you with the detain option when someone gives you a reason for using it, like identifying them as a wanted criminal (Lestrade, for example).

Tags: Add Tags