1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google bringing Android to cars with Open Auto Alliance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 6 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

If it's anything like the Android Handset Alliance, we'll have to buy new cars every 18 months in order to get the latest version of Android. :-(

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

logs everywhere you go, driving habits, miles per day. Sells.

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Once we all using google driverless cars with cameras - we can get google maps in real time.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"so entering your car doesn't mean shutting yourself off from your connected world. "

I'd rather they didn't as there's too much distracting idiots in cars even now. Swear to Allah, I saw a girl driving down the road with her phone in one hand looking at it but somehow holding the wheel while her other hand was putting on mascara.

That Aussie tv advert in the NSFW topic kind of says it all.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

7. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

An in-car Spotify app would be nice. Although giving Google another facet of you life to gather data about is probably not good, NSA much?

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yep, even as a tech geek I must say all of this is so unnecessary. All I really need from a car is a Bluetooth connection that's not flaky. I can then stream my music from the phone to the car and control playback using the car's controls rather than fumble with the touchscreen while driving. That is all, the other stuff just distracts from driving.

If they want to implement some innovative new feature (a browser on your dashboard is NOT innovative) then I'd rather they do it using a phone as the interface rather than integrating technology that will become outdated into the dash.

9. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Did you see this story? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25624978

To be fair, I think if he wasn't a repeat offender - as in he didn't already have points on his license - it's a ridiculous over-reaction. Unfortunately the story doesn't clarify.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I don't think it was an over-reaction, if he had hit a bump (pothole or such like) his knees would not have held the steering wheel well enough to avoid an accident.

11. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I would like it if the system gave the driver access to the car's ECU for on-the-fly adjustment of the air/fuel ratio with presets for economy and performance. Is there such a thing already?

Tags: Add Tags