1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Thus far; I've failed both the first time, failed the hazard perception by three points the second, so I'm just hedging my bets on achieving 33% passrate for both parts of the test right now.

2. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Seriously, how hard it is in the UK? :D

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Can't be that hard now judging by the state of the drivers at rush hour.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

The problem, as I have seen it is that the hazard test is somewhat subjective. Sure there are defined hazards in the test but those hazards are defined by someone else. What they would consider a hazard, I might not.

I have talked to people who have managed to get through the test by clicking on everything and anything that could be a hazard whether they really think that there could be a potential problem or not. A lot have passed without realising at what points they should have clicked.

The other side of the theory test is a little more defined but still not as precise in the way that the questions are worded as it probably should be.

I am thankful I never had to sit a theory test for real as I passed my test in 1995, a couple of years before they brought it in. My theory section lasted about 3 minutes and consisted of a few questions from the examiner when we had got back to the test centre. A couple of cards with road signs on and "what does that one mean?" and that was it.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hazard perception is difficult because there's no common ground for what counts as a hazard.

You can get through it by knowing the maximum number of clicks, the length of the clip, and clicking at specific time intervals.

My primary issue with it is the utter lack of FoV they give you - There's no way to see if a car/bike/person is slowing as they approach the road etc, so you can't accurately judge if it's a hazard.

I've not failed that aspect of the test, though, despite taking the test three times (Passed - it expired before I started driving, failed, passed).

Edit: WarranJ: The test isn't 'hard' as such, the practical is considerably harder than the theory, but as a driver of ~3 years, driving to test standard on the roads just isn't possible because of the number of people that make unsafe/illegal/dodgy manoeuvres. I've only been driving three years and there's no way I'd pass the test again without at least a couple of refresher lessons. Chances are, no one else would either.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Started forging out an ball pein hammer into a tomahawk. Worked on it 3 hours yesterday until I ran out of propane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

AlmightyRastus nailed it there, the hazard perception test is a mess, the footage looks like it was shot with a potato smeared in vase line and the hazards aren't always clear. The theory behind it is that you click whenever you see an emerging hazard, so something that will force you to take action, like a vehicle pulling out or a pedestrian stepping off the kerb. In practice: it's possible to click too early for a hazard. This is part of my issue. There's also a system in place to stop you just clicking constantly and getting marks that way, so It's not possible just to click constantly from when you see the hazard till after it has passed.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I hated that Hazard test I failed it the first time and passed it the second time.

I honestly don't think it should be part of the test because as someone said, they could think something is a hazard but I might not etc.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I planned to attend MCM Comicon in London. I found out Jessica Nigri is attending which is awesome.

Not to mention meeting Thomas Jane who I am quite the fan of.

The Mothership

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Made a bunch of orders for my first cosplay costume in years, a set of Mafumofu armor from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Sold a copy of the Horn of Eld and a MH inspired prop knife to get there. Real hides/furs, Native American beadwork and salvaging a trashed set of pants to something wearable again all works for me. This should take me roughly forever to complete. Good.

11. kingpraun

kingpraun What's a Dremel?

Bought a puppy, absolutely love her!

12. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

^pics or it didn't happen! =P

13. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

New desk is built (despite the top of it being dropped on my toe, resulting in lots of pain). I've now got so much more space than before - and I can now justify upgrading my screen to something a bit bigger (currently a Syncmaster 931cw @ 1440 x 900)

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Not making my life awesome, or ruining but still amused. Check the download and then look at the speedtest.

http://puu.sh/6fDSY.jpg

Edit I realise I was trying to download the old version of Real Bench.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Been doing a massive clearout. Old Baby stuff, my old crap and many, many trading cards have been sold.

We must've made about £300 so far. Too bad I don't get to spend any :(

16. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Just upgraded my internet plan. We were on Highspeed 25 but now we're on Broadband 100+ from Shaw. 45Mbps download and ~5-6 Mbps upload on wireless. 70+ Mbps download and ~9 upload on wired. What a huge difference!

Last edited: 11 Jan 2014
  17. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Finally got around to adding the highspeed motor to my airsoft mp5 - it's now doing 30rps @ 340fps, which is bang on what I was after. Two years of upgrade work has finally come to fruition and it sounds bloody awesome. Can't wait to take it out for a proper spin :D

18. kingpraun

kingpraun What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

She's called Deefa ....as in Deefadog.... D4dog

19. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Only just noticed that my post count is over 1000. I'm certainly now a proper bit-techer.

Also, that dog is gorgeous.

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

D'aw, she is gorgeous! Hope you enjoy many happy years with your new best friend :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk