1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Steam Machines specs and prices: Which one is for you?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Jan 2014.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I don't get it, are we not liking these things now because when it was announced a few months ago this whole community were dry leghumping Gabe?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Steam Box is a nice concept but anyone who half knows how to knock a PC together can make their own. I use an Antec NSK2480 which is pretty big and boring compared to those machines. But with an i3 3220,8GB Ram and an old 1GB 5850 i bet it keeps up with them @1080p on most games. And I can use origin if I wanted to.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What a horrifying concept :eyebrow:

Also I'm going to call you out on using the expression "dry leg humping" in two of your last three posts:D

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No we (I) don't like them, it seems the OEM's have totally missed the USP that they should be aiming for. IMHO they are to expensive, to much like what people can already buy and fail to address some of the reason people buy a console over a PC.

I think the reason the "whole community were dry leghumping Gabe" was because it seemed like a good idea, but sadly it seems he has failed to layout design goals for the OEM's, either that or the OEM's are just using the same mind set they have used for years to sell PC's and not thought things through.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Never used dry leghumping before! I will use that one. I think we all want the Steam Box to do well and admire steams commitment to the PC platform. It's just that in this community your not likely to find anyone getting too excited over the hardware side of the project. Trying to sell a steam box to a Bit-Tech member is a bit like selling snow to an eskimo.

6. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Digital Storm Bolt II Steam Machine

Steam Machines specs and prices: Which one is for you? GTFOOH :wallbash:

Nvidia GTX 780 Ti
    Intel Core i7 4770K
    16GB
    1TB HDD 120GB SSD

$2584

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jan 2014
  7. Shirty

I make it about $1350 for the listed components at retail, so you're essentially paying the same again for a compact chassis and someone to put it all together.

No ta ;)

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And what makes the Digital Storm Bolt II Steam Machine even worse is that they have utterly misunderstood who the target market is by dual booting it with Windows.
    Its almost like they see it as an exercise in marketing their existing (over priced) PC's instead of competing with consoles.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Origin PC Chronos Steam Machine - This box is just a modded silverstone case (i have it as a media case - in bruished aluminium). bit of a poor show to be honest.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I just want a £100 box + controller to stream games from my main gaming rig.......... :(

11. Snips

So we just need the SteamOS to work and the compatible cool controller and we are good then?

It's obviously a case of "Yes it's a console but don't tar us with the same brush as the Xbox One and PS4" as you'll get to pWn Noobz in Battlefield 5 in Ultimate res on 4K.

Would that seem reasonable?

12. Snips

Why waste a good quote in just one topic ;)

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Possibly the most disappointing article of the last 12 months (although fair play to Bit-tech for another well-written/researched piece. Not your fault).

My particular highlight is the gaming laptop from Scan.......that you can't actually take anywhere.

What are you saving here? The cost of a Windows install?

14. Shirty

[​IMG]

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems that's what there thinking, pretty dumb thinking if you ask me.

I was envisioning exactly what Gabe or someone said about good, better, best. But the vast majority of OEM's seem to have made nothing but machines that i would fit in the best category, i.e money no object make the best system they can for silly money. Some (two) may fit in the better category, i.e enough to play most games on reasonable settings for around the same price as current gen consoles.

If these are the only Steam machines that the OEM's plan to sell they will have a hard time convincing people to buy one versus a console IMHO.

16. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

Hopefully AMD gets their act together, there's a lot of machines on this list that will not work so well otherwise...

17. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

EDIT: I hope they do, a tiny little box with an SSD and an APU in it will be awesome for this, you really don't need anything super powerful to game at 1080p. If your thinking 4k resolutions from a Steam box, it's not meant for you.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Valve: Streaming-only box would be "awesome," but native SteamOS support is priority.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/09/valve-steamos-native-support/

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Kudos to Scan for building that sexy domino. -Too much faceplate branding, though.
    If scan wants to sell the empty cases or even just the curved extrusions...:D Crud, I feel an E-Bay search coming on.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I'm keeping an open mind on future boxes. The current batch are kinda ugly to look at and until every box is finalised I won't know which specs and prices suit my needs.

Tags: Add Tags