1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

The name does it for me as much as the function - I mean seriously, a Freelancer? That I simply have got to have :rock:

Add in the jump engine, decent cargo capacity, turret, overall ordnance capacity and turret and it becomes a no brainer for me. If I can rig it for mining then I'll be reliving some of my Jumpgate days - find somewhere off the beaten track, hunt some high value 'roids and then cash in the cargo :D

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yep, my plan is to trade and explore and she's perfect for that.

3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

am I right in thinking this hasn't been released at all yet?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Semi right. It's being released in parts. So far we have the hanger module where you can roam around your ship. Up next is the dogfighting module, then the single player game (squadron 42), then the persistent universe (star citizen).

So far, it's looking like it's going to be the holy grail of PC gaming.

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

^ What he said. I bet a lot of time and effort on Jumpgate Evolution as being what I wanted from a game. This one is so far ahead of that it isn't funny. I've been sitting, watching and waiting but looks like this one's the real deal.

6. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll definitely be signing up in the near future!

7. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Okay. This is somehow the first I've heard of Star Citizen and it looks really interesting.

However, I'm confused. Is there an explanation somewhere? A "What is Star Citizen?" with whats playable so far, when will more be playable. About roles and ships. The beginners guide to everything?

8. Parge

The game is made up of two main components

1. The single player campaign mode – called Squadron 42
    2. The multi player ‘persistant universe’ – called Star Citizen

The single player campaign is pretty self explanatory. The multiplayer is like an MMO in that the universe is persistent and contains potentially millions of players and NPCs, but all the combat is skill based (like an fps). In Star Citizen – you can do whatever you want, trading, bounty hunting, salvage, mining, piracy – the universe really is your oyster!

Its built on the most advanced version of CryEngine3, will support Oculus Rift and is now the most crowd funded game/project in history raising over $36m. As a result its being made entirely without publisher intervention which allows the dev team (Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame) to make ‘the best dam space sim ever’. It also means that the games development is far more open than a normal game would be, with almost daily updates from the various members of the dev team, as well as a weekly show (Wingmans Hanger) and much much more.

The game is being released in pieces, first up is the hanger module, which allows you to walk around your ships in a hanger, next (Q1) is the dogfighting module, then at the end of this year we will hopefully have Squadron 42, followed by the beta release of the persistant universe – probably in 2015. A lot of us backed this in October 2012, and have followed its progress since. So far it’s looking very, very positive.

Jaybles likes this.
  9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Here's the basic blurb:
    For roles, the general idea is that you'll have your standard core roles (fleet commander, pirate, merchant, miner, space police, explorer and so on) with the openness for players to be creative and create their own unofficial roles through playing the way that suits them.

As for ships, this page of the Wikia will give you a detailed breakdown with some information about the ship, the manufacturer and initially planned stats:
    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

On the subject of when will more be playable, the only answer we can really give is "when it's ready."

At the moment we have the Hangar Module, which allows us to walk around a station and look at the currently produced ships, climb in them and interact with some of their systems. There's also a few other small bits you can do in a Hangar but they're gradually adding more features in stages.

The next module to be released will be the Dog-Fighting module, which will allow us to fly our ships in a controlled environment to get more of an idea of how they will function in space and to allow players to practice against targets. This was originally planned to be launched at the end of December but due to needing more work has been held off with a scope to be in the player's hands ASAP this year (probably somewhere in Q1).

After that the next phase will be to work towards getting the single-player game "Squadron 42" to the community; we have little idea beyond speculation of how far along they are with that and when it'll be released but I'd take an optimistic wild guess at Q3/4.

Then the last phase will be to launch the fully multi-player experience of Star Citizen which is likely to be released in 2015.

Edit
    *Shakes fist*
    Bah, all that typing and beaten by mere seconds by Parge.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
    Jaybles likes this.
  10. Parge

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! :hehe:

11. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

OK. I'm wanting it. But how can you know which role to play/ship to get without trying them?

12. suenstar

If you're not sure what ship/role you'll enjoy, it would probably worth going for something a little more basic like either the Aurora (or Mustang when it comes) or the 300i while details are still being released.

When more details about ships and their roles become available, during the Alpha you will have the option of melting down ships for their full store value which can be spent towards getting any other ship that's on the Pledge store.

All ships will be obtainable within the game; so you can go for something simple to start with, the fleet will then all work together to build a bank of ships belonging to the whole organisation to enable everyone to access the various roles.

13. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Aaaah OK. That's awesome.

What activities will the Bit fleet be taking part in then?

And lets say the fleet wants to do something legal but a single member of the fleet goes and decides they wanna go do some piracy, does that have any effect on the fleet?

Oh another thing. Will there be a subscription cost?

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

We're planning to get involved in pretty much everything, and will be guided by the fleet members. Hence it shouldn't be a problem unless you want to screw everything up for other people.

Subs? Nope.

15. suenstar

As said by Cei, we plan on expanding into all aspects of the game so there'll be nothing limiting anyone from doing something they want to try.
    Sure some things will be less popular, but as we grow we'll hopefully have a good balance of activities going on.

On the topic of piracy.
    We do have a division/wing of the organisation planned that will get involved in piracy (or other lawless activities) so nobody here will complain if you suddenly decided you want to do something like hold a fleet of traders & miners for ransom... possibly the opposite, you'll probably find that, unless there's some political reason, a number of us would likely jump in and provide additional some backup in those situations.

16. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Hey guys. I'm interested in getting into star citizen, it looks extremely interesting, but i'm having trouble finding information.

How and where do I get started?

17. Parge

Welcome! What is it you want to know!? Suenstars and my post above cover the basics!

The official site is here

18. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

I might be interested in being part of BitFleet. Haven't yet invested in Star Citizen. To be frank I don't tend to pre-order or buy into a game unless I know I'm going to like it. It definitely looks that way but until its out you never know. As I'm an EvE Veteren and current semi-player, I will definitely be looking to try it out at some point.

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Only 13k slots left on Alpha. If you're wanting in at this stage (ie: 2104), I'd recommend signing up soon!

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Being lazy! Don't have to do anything do I?

Already bought the tier for Alpha and Beta access from the kickstarter!