1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding T.E.C.K. Lapdesk

Discussion in 'Modding' started by landspeeder95, 6 Jan 2014.

1. landspeeder95

landspeeder95 What's a Dremel?

TECK Lapdesk

Currently my PC is tucked away into a closet. When used a lapdesk, tethered USB cable, USB Hub, wired keyboard, and wired mouse all are unraveled across the floor to my Eames Lounge.

This rats nest is unsightly, annoying, less than ideally ergonomic, takes up valuable closet space, and damages the wires.

My solution? Embed my TECK (Truly Ergonomic Keyboard), the spare mouse wire, the USB Hub, and a USB Port between 2 pieces of high quality Bamboo ply. Wrap the edges in soft brown leather, crushed velvet, or even houndstooth wool. Finally place a usb keystone on the wall next to my chair. No longer will the plastic lapdesk come out to play. No longer will a mess of wires cross my floor. No longer will I worry about my TECKs USB cable being damaged.

An unsolved issue – this will be left standing upright when not in use... should the mouse be left to dangle or does a more elegant solution present itself.

The Progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. landspeeder95

-22*F, 2.5’ Snow, 25+mph winds, middle school science team coaching, and raising a 2 year old = little progress between updates:

[​IMG]

3. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

1. What have you blacked out of the first photo? My curiosity is getting the better of me.

2. You could create a box/pocket/hooks for the mouse to rest in when the desk is in storage.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I really like the truly ergonomic keyboards.

From your last picture, it looks like you are going to recess the keyboard into your lapdesk is that right? Have you tried typing with a recessed keyboard? It's weird! If that is what you are going to do I urge you to try it first and make sure that you don't find it weird like I do :)

5. landspeeder95

F.1. What have you blacked out of the first photo? My curiosity is getting the better of me.
    The fun answer - I had just stepped out of the shower and that was a mirror on the floor.
    The mundane truth - after posting the picture I realized that a letter was on the floor and did not really want my address displayed to the world (over paranoid I suppose).

F.2. You could create a box/pocket/hooks for the mouse to rest in when the desk is in storage.
    Mhhh... A velvet lined box under a 'mouse pad' perhaps? With the top and sides held by embedded magnets (1 on each side and 1 on the top)? Using a hinge like the old hidden drawer bottoms?
    Option 1:
    [​IMG]
    Option 2:
    [​IMG]
    Hinge:
    [​IMG]

M.1. I really like the truly ergonomic keyboards.
    Me too! I found that a Das Keyboard reduced, but did not eliminate my CTS. With my TECK I have NO CTS pain even after marathon coding sessions.
    Note: the learning curve sucks for about 2 weeks though!

M.2. Recessed typing.
    You cannot tell from the current plastic lapdesk, but the keyboard is already at a level slightly lower than the wrist rest. The TECK palmrest recesses the keyboard another 1/16" or so. The keyboard will be recessed a max of 1/8" based on the router profile the underside of the bamboo ply will have.
    This is VERY comfortable on my lap so long as it is sloping down from my waist... a natural slope in that chair with my feet on the ottoman and a small pillow next to my beltline ;)

The one thing that will be a bit differently is that the mouse level will go from being at the keyboard BASE to the keyboard TOP.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2014
  6. landspeeder95

I fell down a flight of hardwood stairs - given my limited mobility at the moment the project will have slowed updates for a few weeks.

7. landspeeder95

Total wood thickness needed to flush mount the keyboard 1.2" - no room for a mouse caddy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am STILL working on the key profile!
    Using hand tools to work the keyboard profile = excruciatingly long with wicked splinters under my fingernails fun. I took a bit too much off for the down arrow and pageDn keys - perhaps fill with brass. At least brass is easy to work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to the wrist rest I lose less than 1/16 of an inch in keypress height. This is not noticed on ANY key accept the PageDn and DownArrow keys!

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Millions do it all the time on their laptops.

9. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

on a short stroke scissor switch keyboard - not on a full stroke cherry switch :)