1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC acting up....need help! Please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wejjy, 12 Jan 2014.

1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

So for the last few weeks my PC has been driving me insane, but last night it peaked!

Im running 2x680's in Sli. The issue to begin with I thought was driver related, as the screens would go berserk, freeze for a few seconds and then windows would notify me that the drivers had crashed and recovered. Grrrr. Ive tried about 5 different drivers now, each time starting from fresh, but the same problem manifests itself at random times.

Over the past week though, instead of freezing, my PC has taken to just literally switching itself off, no warning no BSOD, just black. Then after about 30 secs, it reboots abs fine! On its own.

I have removed all over clocks, switched off SLi, checked temps (all really low as all under water), removed individual RAM sticks, left only my SSD boot drive attached, and am beginning to think its my PSU?? But wanted to check if Ive missed anything glaringly obvious first? I don't have a sufficiently large PSU spare to try it, hence this question. Im about to pull the trigger on a Seasonic hobby as Im fed up of failing Silverstone ones!

Any ideas, help or rants would be extremely well received!

Spec is in Sig!!

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

What PSU do you have? It doesn't seem to be listed in your sig.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This may be totally unrelated, but I have been getting the same thing with driver crashes, lock ups and so on. the newest drivers seem better but it still happens.
    My son gets the same thing complete withe the random reboots.

The specs on both PC's are different. For months now I have convinced it's a Nvidia thing not a hardware problem.

Edit: I have even gone as far as reinsatlling both rigs and the problems still persist on both rigs, in my sons case still random reboots

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

This should of been posted in "Tech Support" section, just sayin....

5. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Its a Silverstone Strider 750w I think!

6. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Hmmm, interesting! Wonder if anyone else has the same?

When it reboots, does it all just die, or do you get any warnings, mines as if someone killed the power at the socket...

Sorry, didnt think, mods apologies if this is the wrong area!

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I'm running GTX780Ti SLI and I am not having any of these issues.

A clan member of mine has a single GTX560 and he is having BSOD's constantly or the graphics in games just freezing up on him and his, pc reboots then all is fine for a while and then it does it again.

I installed the latest drivers on Friday from Nvidia and noticed that some games performed allot better but, Battlefield 4 was suffering massive frame drops so I went back to the previous Beta drivers and all is ok again.

My PSU is overkill for my pc though, as it is a Coolermaster Silent M Pro 1KW.

The last time I saw anything happen like you are describing is from dodgy drivers and a PSU that was not powerful enough for the hardware, but looking at the PSU you are running you seem to have the power side covered.

Have you tried I think it is the 314:22 drivers for the cards are those are the ones I used, since they were released for the GTX680's as they never gave me any issues but the newer ones did.

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

750W sounds a bit low to me? Did you have these issues when you first got SLI, or just after a while?

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

I will try those drivers again, sure i have but will give it a go. Thanks for the detailed reply! I reckon the PSU is failing as its getting worse and worse.

No, the issues have gradually appeared and worsened, acoording to the PSU calculators, my PSU is just, and I mean 'just' enough for all of my hardware, its a dul loop, multi fanned beast so its no surprise! I think I will try the above drivers, and if not pull the trigger on a Seasonic beast! Should be ok with that!

Thanks guys!

10. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

According to PSU calc, I need 742w. Im borderline then...

11. bulldogjeff

It just goes, and then reboots. Still does it after reinstalling.. It's defiantly not a PSU problem either. For the life of me I can't work it out. But for his and mine all the probs started with the newer drivers. Part of me is wondering if it's a clash of some sort with Asus mobo drivers, it never happened on my gigabyte mobo Only after upgrading.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Not having any of those issues on either of my rigs both with latest drivers one quad SLI and the other single GTX560

fuus likes this.
  13. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

It wont even boot now, 4seconds in it just switches back off again of its own accord, tried booting into BIOS but it shows for a second and then switches off???? Aaargh. No War Thunder for me today then!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

14. bulldogjeff

hmmmm, Now I am thinking possible PSU problem, rather that the drivers going all funky.

Disconnect one of the GPU's totally, that will reduce the load on the psu, then try booting.

if it works or doesn't, try it on the other one, just to rule out that one of the cards is shorting or possibly one of the rails coming off the PSU

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I had that issue and it ain't the psu. It drove me insane. I went back to the original drivers still no good then I changed the screen from 32bit to 16bit and it stopped freggin freezing. Since going to amd I have never had that problem since. It has to be the drivers. Need to do a total uninstall of the nVidia drivers then reinstall.

16. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Totally dead, wont switch on, I was trying the above, ie disconnecting one of the cards all together and it now will not switch on at all, not a sniff, although the mobo lights are green??

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

May sound stupid take the cards out put one back in and try that with the memory sticks as well.

18. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

That could just mean that the board is receiving 5v, or even 3v.

Your PSU should have more than enough power. I'm running my 8320 right now between 4.7 and 4.93ghz (over 200w TDP) with a 7990 overclocked to 1100mhz and god knows how many accessories and drives (6 hdds and an SSD) and I have no issues.

Now it pretty much seems a case of bad PSU here, so I would try replacing that first.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

I run 2 680s on a 750 watt psu and from the wall its measured at 450 watts for the record.

Sounds like drivers to me.

20. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Ok so I removed all extra peripherals and sound cards ram etc, just ssd, cpu, mobo and gpu's. Left cooling as passive as well, by turning off all fans, just left pump. PC ran no problems at all. Ran Furmark with GPU-Z and it shows two errors in the Sensors Tab, under PerfCap Reason:

Vrel and VOp

I think it must be PSU related, no-one has stock of Seasonics 1250w behemoth currently so Ive pre-ordered with Yoyo-tech, they were cheapest!

Hope Ive done the right thing!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk