1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Folding Questions!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Petaflops, 1 Sep 2013.

1. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

On the move.

Hi Guys.

I've been off the grid for the last month. We moved house just before Christmas, and then it took BT 3 weeks to put in our landline and get the broadband up and running. Thanks BT. You really are a world class outfit! So I've only just got the computer up and running and downloaded my 603 emails! The only problem is that I now have to turn the PC off at night as the walls are so much thinner in the new house that we can hear the fans spinning in almost every room of the house. Not great for sleeping if the PC is left on. Plus my 'study' is now the size of a broom cupboard so it gets kind of hot and stuffy in there. Not the ideal location for my 1 million PPD PC which I'm still aiming to build when time and funds allow. I think that I'll need to change locations and build the PC in the caravan that I have on my smallholding. Then noise won't be a problem and it will keep the caravan free from damp with the heat.

I also decided to sell all of my HD7990's as they were selling for such silly money on Ebay to bitcoin miners. £700 a card! Madness!! With the profit that I made I'll probably buy some 780TI's instead which are supposedly more power efficient and quieter than the 7990's. That will make a difference to the running costs of the machine. I'm still not sure how many 780TI's I'm going to need to get to 1 million PPD though. There are still varying estimates as to the PPD of the card though I've been too busy lately to do much research. I'm currently just folding with a pair of MSi GTX770's which seem to do about 90k PPD each, which is OK.

I was also thinking that we should do an official "Team Welcome" post for anyone new joining the team. We could make it a 'Sticky' so that it stays at the top. I think we also need to do an updated list of current graphics cards with stats for PPD and Watts so people can see the merits and costs of each card. The current 'Sticky' on the subject is really out of date. Any volunteers, or shall I have a go at setting something up? Who is able to make something a sticky post? We could also try and get a new article in Custom PC mag to encourage some new team member to join in. Any ideas for an article anyone? Let's have some suggestions and we'll see what we can cook up, to increase the profile of the folding team. Cheers.

Pete

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Go for it. See if you can get an article in the magazine before the Chimps Challenge.

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Yes. What exactly is this mysterious "Chimps Challenge" that I keep hearing about? When does it take place? What's the mag got to do with the challenge? I've never seen it mentioned in there?

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The Chimps Challenge is an annual event, normally undertaken by the top ten folding teams, in which there is a race to a certain number of points, or to who can produce the most points in two weeks (the format changes each year). It's normally in May. It works by people changing their name and passkey to a common one for the team, and then at a set time on a set date people let everything fly! So we compete for CustomPC - you may see our 'team' name in the EOC stats as 'CustomBitChimps'!

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Probably because no-one has managed to write a suitable piece early enough.

6. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Great to see some banter going on guys - It's been far too quiet for far too long.

Is there anything we can submit as a team to the magazine, rather than wait for them to do a piece on us? Does anyone have any contacts at the mag beyond their forum name like brummygrunt etc? Surely now's the right time to start preparing for the Chimp Challenge and drumming up support.....?

7. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Has anything been decided yet about this years Chimp Challenge? What's with the "Chimp" anyway?!! Maybe those in the know could draft up a piece for the mag and see if we can get some more people involved. It might be worth someone re doing a new idiots guide for folding beginners, so that people don't have to spend hours reading the forums just to get started. Also maybe a glossary of folding terms would help beginners too. I certainly found it confusing at the beginning. If we get ourselves ship shape then we could have a push on team membership. There must be loads of Custom PC reader with **** hot machines who are not folding.

8. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Folder saspro is our guy on the 'inside' - he does the Folder Profile in the mag (but he doesn't work for CustomPC). He can be contacted via;
    folding {at} custompcmag.org.uk
    He might be able to give the right people a nudge about getting articles in ...