1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Budget build for 2D graphics work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seglespaan, 29 Jan 2014.

1. Seglespaan

Seglespaan What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, been a while since I built my sig rig so I'm out of touch, especially so when it comes to buying low to mid range.

But my sister is looking for a PC that'll run Photoshop and Illustrator and be able to handle some decent size files.

She'll be looking for everything from case to keyboard and monitor etc. And is hoping for under £500

So if anyone fancies offering some advice, that'd be grand. What kind of graphics card are we looking at, best going for an i3?

Whats a decent but cheap mobo that could slot into this build but leave plenty budget for a decent monitor etc, and will she notice a significant difference if I was to go for 1333 ram rather than 1600

Thanks in advance

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Dont really need a graphics card, Onboard does the trick.

Photoshop and illustrator like Memory the more you have the more you can run.

Sticking in a 270x or a 660 is not really worth the cash as you would see better returns from a faster cpu and more memory. Also dout it falls into budget.

Assuming you have windows. If you do not have windows under £500 with monitor and windows is tight budget for the record. ( you can basically forget any discrete gpu if this was a requirement)

Once updated to know if you need windows ill try and make you a build for photoshop and illustrator.

4. Seglespaan

Thanks very much for your replies guys,

If you can be bothered could you do one tweaked with and without windows.

I don't currently have it but might be able to get it from a work install disk that's kicking about.

Thanks Again

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Something like the below ( assuming you have a usb copy of windows, If you do not then you will need a dvd drive to install it with)

430W Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2UK, 80%+ BRONZE Eff' Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3, PSU
    £35.32

1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms NCQ OEM £43.98

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 10-10-10-27, XMP, 1.5V
    £123.79

Sharkoon VS3-S Black/Chrome ATX Mid Tower Case w/o PSU, USB 2.0, 120mm Fan
    £23.98

Intel Core i3 4130, S 1150, Haswell, Dual Core, 3.4GHz, 1150MHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 54W, Retail
    £83.94

Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV, Intel H81, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, PCIe 2.0 (x16), D-Sub/DVI-D, Micro ATX
    £39.37

23" iiyama Prolite X2380HS Black LED, IPS, HDMI
    £127.21

£497.

Getting it to include windows means using a cheaper screen ( would not recommend it ) or using less memory. keyboard and mouse can both be obtained cheap in the likes of asda which would suffice till the cash became avail for better.

Windows 8.1 oem is £71 on scan.

You could head the AMD route but its not a big saving if any for slower performance in photoshop and illustrator.

6. Seglespaan

Outstanding, thanks very much for the effort, much appreciated

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would also suggest more or less the same thing as rollo... but if you can swing it I would add 2x ssd, one for the OS/apps and a cheaper (maybe smaller one, depending on if the saving is enough) as a dedicated scratch disk if they are using it (semi)professional level work. If not I would at least try to get a 80-120GB SSD in there for boot/apps.

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

if the budget can be increased, imho it'd be better to concentrate the money on a single, fast as possible, 250/256GB SSD to use for both, as it'd provide much better performance than having two smaller drives.

That said, i wholeheartedly agree that a smaller SSD would be very useful for most things - though it'd be far better to save space on it (along with the OS & whatnot) for a scratch disk than putting PS/illustrator on it.

Well, you only load the s/w once - & if it takes XX seconds, then so be it - but the scratch disk folder will be accessed repeatedly & so impact on the actual work speed.

Completely separately, the suggested build has no backup drive - so there's obviously the risk of losing all of the data (so hours/days/weeks/... of work) if something untoward happens.