1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Asteroid (Pirate :p ) Hangar concept pics are up, looks like win :)

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Guys, just wanted to pimp Mechwarrior Online to you all: Reason being: its fun, but also, the customisability of the mechs is very similar to how Star Citizen will almost certainly work.

First off, you choose your mech from the different weight classes. Each mech is basically a frame in which you install your engine, offensive weapons (plus ammo), defensive weapons (anti missile system for example), and accessories (things like heatsinks or advanced targeting systems).

The main factors to consider with each component are weight, ammo requirements, heat production, and armour. It really is a VERY good example of what Chris Roberts means when he talks about a 'scissor paper stone' scenario with the different ships, every single component has a benefit and tradeoff.

Mechs vary from super quick 'lights', to 100 ton 'Assaults', and believe me when I say that I've seen plenty of lights dance around to take out a lumbering, isolated Assault mech.

The game itself isn't perfect (the UI is confusing for example) but combat is great fun, and once you get a mech, you'll spend hours tinkering with it, installing different weapons and balancing your mech for your preferred role (up close brawler or long range missile boat etc). Its also free to play, so if you aren't a fan, nothing lost. I'm on quite a bit, so if anyone would like to jump on, I'd be pleased to walk you through mech creation and the basics of combat!

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I played this in early beta, and it was dire then but I could see the potential. Runs on Cryengine 3 too I believe. I may have to give it a go when I get round to installing my new GPU.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I agree with Parge, I started playing again and I've been having a lot of fun. It's more enjoyable now than it was in beta and they're applying a big update in Feb to sort out the UI issues when upgrading your mech.

5. GravitySmacked

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

To be honest, with the hardware it's best to just wait until the game launches and see what is around at the time - I expect we may be at the 9 series NV cards by that point, where the equivalent of a 780Ti will be mid-range. I'm expecting to be building a new rig for SC, particularly as I'm planning a triple monitor cockpit.

I find the video quite funny as well - he clearly isn't interested in hardware. He can't remember what the i5 4670 is called for a start. Some of the requirements are also really high - 16GB of RAM recommended? Surely that's an absolute first, ditto an SSD installation.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Good to see that 4K is also being taken seriously! Sounds like an upgrade of the GPUs when it's released - I expect the top settings to be harder to run than Crysis 3.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Damn... I upgrade my rig and suddenly I'm gaming again. How did that happen???

Oh well.. I've applied. First bit-sec girl?

Also RSI says 8GB RAM minimum, but I'll be running this on my PC (6GB) more often than my (16GB) laptop. So I need more RAM right? Posted a wanted thread for 3x2GB DD3.

Somebody help me... I'm hemorrhaging money!

Last edited: 30 Jan 2014
  9. GravitySmacked

Welcome aboard :)

10. Parge

Accepted and welcome. We definitely need at least one girl in Bit Sec. You can be the voice of reason amongst the insanity. You've been promoted to flying officer too.

Ram wise. You're 6GB will be fine really, but 12GB is of course better!

In other news we have now hit 40 members.....and I think we've just had our first applicant who is wholly unaffiliated with Bit Tech. Anyone know a 'Rob Svenson' - seems nice enough anyway. 35, UK, has a fam and was attracted by our chilled approach to commitment.

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

The member number grew really quickly :)

Luetin posted a really good intro video on Star Citizen:

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Sorry, but Maxwellian was our first girl. Being my wife she definitely is one!

13. Parge

Ohhh yes!

Stat update from Parge: 1 in 20 Bit Sec members is a girl.

14. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

That's madness!!

Anyway, I wish this was playable to practice Space Swarm

15. Parge

Voluntary Pariah makes our 41st member. Won't be long til 50 now.

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

We're picking up quite the reasonable sized crew.
    From the looks of the ships list and some of the comments posted, we have a decent variety in activity interests so we'll hopefully be able to jump in on launch and make some good early progress.

17. Parge

Yep, should have two more tomoz as Pica and his son come onboard.

18. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Been holding off getting too involved in this so apologies for being quiet the last few months. I had been throwing too much cash at RSI and decided to take a back seat and watch dev progress from afar to avoid temptation!

My ship line-up hasn't changed (defines the above as a success in my book!), although I see you have all made significant progress with the Organisation which is really good to see.

Just applied on the RSI site.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2014
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Wingman's Hangar has been postponed until Wednesday at noon EST (5pm GMT).

20. Parge

Accepted and promoted. We are currently a Squadron of 42.