1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Office chairs. Often skimped on but so important.

Discussion in 'General' started by aLtikal, 20 Dec 2012.

1. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

http://www.posturite.co.uk/posture-supports/lumbar-support-back-cushions.html

Slouching itself is only controllable / mitigateable via a chair which is properly adjustable - i.e. not Herman Miller.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Once I've settled down enough that I'm not moving at least once a year getting a decent chair is definitely something I would look into.
    Currently using a £50 (I think) chair from Ikea, does the job, isn't terrible, although the padding is starting to die after 2 and a half years of relatively heavy use.

My default 'high end' brand to look at would be Herman Miller, what others would you recommend then seapanda? I wouldn't be looking to spend £1000 on a chair, more like a couple of hundred (what a 2nd hand Miller would cost).

Instead of just saying what chairs apparently don't work, maybe suggest some that would solve the problem?

3. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

I dunno for a couple of hundred* - I doubt I've ever spent that little on a chair I'd use intensively. Maybe look for something else decent secondhand?

Look at the silly looking ones (though I also prefer the super-high-backed ones over the HM's, mainly because I can steeple my hands much more evilly in them), they're actually pretty good if you sit intensively.

*I'm assuming that's got to be for one that's pretty worn out. I know I unloaded my excess Aerons for peanuts - they were ex-dot-domb and in use for nearly a decade, and bore very little resemblance to how a new one feels - so not just form over function, but clapped-out form over function. Again, if you were the idiot I mentioned earlier and just wanted the 'name thing' Aeron you'd probably never know better.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2014
    julianmartin likes this.
  4. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

This just about gets to the heart of it. HM seats seem to be the only option out there for second-hand chairs. Even new chairs from other brands are hard to come by - I had my eyes on a steelcase, but couldn't find a retailer that looked even remotely legit.

Then there's the fact that I could actually try the Mirra before I bought one (John Lewis sell them) to be sure it was suitable. Shocking, I know, but before dropping north of £300 on a computer chair you're going to want to sit in it first!

Not sure how I'm a "trendy" show-off for having a chair that lurks in my home office, never to be seen by anyone.

julianmartin likes this.
  5. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Not really. I just call the suppliers.

Not my problem.

Pretty much from what I'm seeing really.

Sorry about the terseness but it's like shooting footballs against goalposts on wheels, and just only goes to highlight the behaviour I pointed out at first.

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

We're sitting here waiting to learn why we are so wrong. You still haven't taught anything.

My conclusion: you've formed an opinion [fine], but you've assumed everyone else has done the same thing [not fine]. Good luck in life, welcome to my ignore list (you're the second person since 2004, congrats).

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

My cheap ergonomic mesh chair arrived today (finally !).

First thing I did was open the box and squeeze the arse part lol. I'm out for lunch today but will no doubt put it together later and pen a few words :)

8. AlienwareAndy

OK quick write up. One chair, £46.

[​IMG]

+

It's super comfortable.
    It weighs next to nothing.
    The seat padding is acceptable.
    It reclines which is super awesome.
    The headrest actually works to put your head on.

-

It's so light that it's a bit odd.
    I have a feeling it's not going to last that long. I will of course keep you all updated.
    I don't like the silver inserts on the arms, they look tacky.
    Don't even try and lift your body weight using the arms. They would just snap off.

Please bear in mind that some of my negatives could just be me worrying. the chair's frame is all ABS plastic so it should be more than strong enough. It's just worryingly light, which seems very odd after coming from an all steel leather chair that was heavy as hell. Sitting in it.. Hmm, that's hard to explain.

Have you ever bought a pair of Valentino Jeans, or an Armani Tracksuit? well, you know that feeling when you put them on (IE they're so fine in texture that you feel naked?) well this chair feels similar to that. Kinda like it's not going to take your weight, yet does.

The under part of the seat is plywood FWIW which I was pleased about, as it seems to give a lot more than plastic or metal would.

Overall? for £46 it's hard to fault. How long it will last? is impossible to tell right now, so I'll just have to come back to announce its death.

9. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It looks kind of dental and star trek :hip: found out what the km on your watch does yet, my ocd compels me to ask.

10. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

PC beside the radiator?

11. AlienwareAndy

Yeah and much to my lady's hate it's switched off.

Nope. The instructions are in Italian lmao :D

I got it though and it's really nice. The strap is really thick and genuine leather :) Was nice to see that the RRP was 169 Euros too, especially as I only paid this for it... (well my lady)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Versus-Vers...8&qid=1390675104&sr=8-1&keywords=versus+watch

12. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Italian, yeah that makes sense now, that's a very good price and I might just get one which is why I had to know what the Telemetric scale does :lol:

[​IMG]

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So... Telemetric is for telling how far off the lightning is? Good to know.

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It will be the selling point of the watch for me, I'm sure it will be very useful :lol:

15. AlienwareAndy

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. Odd thing to put on a watch tbh.

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Just showed my Mrs this by hinting that I wanted one and she said they all have them where they work and they are uncomfortable. So I am more determined to get one to prove her wrong

17. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I can only assume the chairs where she works have not been set up properly, it's good that decent chairs are provided but they still need adjusting to the individual and work space/desk.

I personally disagree with a lot of the advice and videos you can find on youtube about how to set your chair up correctly because they all start by setting the seat height first so your feet are firmly on the floor and then adjust the chair arm height to the desk height but doing it that way can mean that the chair arm height is too high and pushes your shoulders up just to get the desk height correct.

I realised this after buying a Miller chair and following that advice but I kept getting shoulder tension and cramp, so I reversed the procedure, your shoulders should be relaxed and not hunched then bring the chair arms up until your forearms are supported but not pushing your shoulders up, that's your arms sorted, now sit at the desk and adjust the seat height so your arms are at desk height and comfortable, if your feet are firmly on the floor that's fine but if like me and they are not then use a footrest or in my case I use a piece of wood just to add an inch of floor height so my feet are firmly planted, works for me.

Kovoet likes this.
  18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

^^^^^^
    Thanks so much for this advice much appreciated.

19. Boardoombob

Boardoombob What's a Dremel?

Well, after browsing through this thread and seeing the multiple comments made (as well as the decision to try out something new), I went with a Nightingale CXO instead of a Herman Miller Aeron, having previously had one of those at work.

[​IMG]

My requirements were pretty simple; I wanted a mesh back chair which is comfy enough for a few hours of gaming, that comes with proper lumbar support and has comfy armrests. Since I'm going to spend a fair bit of time in this thing, I figured spending a bit more cash would be worth it.

So after having this a week, what can I say?
    Pros
    • It has a very comfy cushioned seat
    • The rotating arms are very handy
    • And the lumbar support is better than an Aeron

Cons
    • This thing is heavy (it must be 40kg +)
    • Some of the parts are hard to use (for example, the sliding seat requires you to grab a handle while sitting on the seat and pushing back, which means you just slide back)
    • Getting spare parts are nigh on impossible (I want to get some replacement casters for hardwood floors, otherwise I'm going to wear a hole in the floor faster than I want, especially since I've just spent a small fortune on this floor!)

Would I recommend it? Yes, definitely, although I've not seen many for sale anywhere.

20. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Interesting. Did you buy new? What was the damage if I may ask?