1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CandySwipe dev becomes latest King.com victim

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Feb 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

King.com the new apple?

Stealing other peoples work and trying to copyright/trademark everything under the sun.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I wouldn't go that far, even Apple has some morals.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Good luck to the Candy Swipe guy, although he does have no future being crushed like a worm sadly.

5. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

He should start a kickstarter for his battle with King. I would happly put £5 in to something so worthwhile.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Kickstarter sounds like an idea.

7. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

barny2767 That is genius. In fact, how about a Kickstarter type site that is simply designed to give money to developers, designers etc in order to fight larger corporations!

Can you imagine the money people would put in to fight legal cases against Google, Microsoft, Apple, King.com, EA, Facebook etc etc. It would be like a giant fanboy proxy war!

Right, I'm off to the patent office.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I'd pay for him to fight!

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Can't some of those annoying and draconian anti-piracy laws be put to use here? I mean, if king.com is illeagly distributing copyrighted material, can't they get hit at least as hard as Pirate Bay?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, 'cos bringing a civil case against a big company requires that you have lawyers at least as expensive as theirs if you want to stand a chance of winning - and if you lose, you can expect to be forced to pay for your opponent's expensive lawyers as well as your own. A conglomerate of giant copyright holders - Universal, Sony, Warner, et al - can easily afford to take on The Pirate Bay; a one-man development house can't afford to take on King, 'cos King is so much larger. Welcome to the wonderful world of modern copyright. Sucks, dunnit?

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep, a disgustingly corrupt system imo, ripe for complete reform. Not that it'll ever happen of course, far too much money invested in the current methods!

12. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Before I clicked this story I assumed it was Candy Crush Saga that had been cloned, and I was prepared to shed very little in terms of sympathy.

How wrong I was. When a giant tries to take the piss out of the little people, they should be publicly shamed. Also when Candy Crush Saga first reared it's ugly head on the app game scene did anyone else think the same as me "blatant rip off!" ? Albeit, a very pretty to look at game. Clearly operated by dirty rotten sharks.

13. demastes

demastes What's a Dremel?

i dont play any of these free to "play" type games and i actively try ti discourage friends and family. pretty much for this reason. this is outrageous. how can they get away with this? i thought the point of copyright law was to stop this stuff? surely the judge presiding over this would rule in the little guys favour as his copyright was first... therefore king.com broke the very copyright they are trying to do away with..

arseholes. plain and simple. id stick in £10 for the kick starter =/

14. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I always wonder what the 'normal' members of staff think of these decisions, when companies behave like this. If I worked at this particular dirty business I'd be embarrassed and looking for a new job.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?