1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I transplanted clear springs and stems (with a tactile grey for the space bar) onto my 3494 at the weekend. It is now returned to service as my work board, adorned in Hyperfuse. I am a happy typer!

I can confirm that the switch opener, made from a bulldog clip, is bloody brilliant too.

2. Chanc3

Chanc3 What's a Dremel?

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

That's older than all the CM hype - there is even less about those noppoo's than there is the CM - though they appear to of implemented a way of running LEDs.

It's also not licensed topre from what I remember, like a chinese rip off instead - which is why I think none of these boards have surfaced.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Although it'd be amusing in a way if they did make it into production, and were very similar feeling and much cheaper. Think of the blind testing fun.

Sam, clears are definitely the way to go for a work board. Once you master the tactile bump you'll never bottom out again. Also pcb mounted clears have (what I consider to be) a satisfying return ping. Well they certainly do on this 13 year old G80 I'm typing on at the moment...

Last edited: 24 Feb 2014
  5. jinq-sea

THINK OF ALL OF THE PATENT INFRINGEMENT CASES! Muhahahaha

Clears are great. I'm no longer bottoming them out, but I don't have a plate so I don't get the ping. I do, however, get a nice springy noise when the keys return. I'm guessing that the 'ping' is a reverberation of the springy noise within the plate.

6. Shirty

I said pcb mounted didn't I? :worried:

I couldn't plate mod this monster G80 if I tried!!

7. jinq-sea

You didn't - you said 'plate'. See the quote! :p

I did wonder if you had plate modded it, but I've heard of stranger things ;)

8. Shirty

LIES AND SLANDER!!!!

(I blame mild conjunctivitis for the initial mistype)

9. jinq-sea

*PING*

No problem. I've been perfecting the art of making a key ping. It does indeed sound good.

PS I hope your eyes get better soon

Last edited: 24 Feb 2014
  10. Matticus

Matticus ...

This was the first GB I wanted in on, it is run by you guys and it includes my favourite colour, green. I am so totally in.

On another note, does anyone have any white on black (or possibly black on white) cherry or SP sets for a TKL?

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Your board is ready to go - I am going to the post office with a bunch of things on thursday so I will be posting it then.

you can get white on black and black on white straight from SP from their shop - they always have it in stock. there is some cherry for sale on GH I think, at least I think I saw some earlier.

12. Shirty

Just when you thought "all's quiet on the Cougar front...”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some new keycaps, and a perfect illustration of how much difference a flash can make to the colour balance in a photo!

Got some of every commercially available MX switch except greens on her now (arriving in March), but still on the hunt for a handful more preloved browns and blues. Also five clear MX case housings :p

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I saw that R1 kit on feebay, is that where you got it?

14. Shirty

I got them from here. Just make sure to set the prices to include VAT, and prepare to have your cornhole pummelled into submission by the carriage charge.

Definitely a site designed for substantial purchases, if only to make the P&P fair.

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Hmmm, keyboardco are branching out... They'll have to drop their postage prices however to tempt people into smaller purchases like that

16. Shirty

Their blog is even vaguely interesting (link on the nav menu, second from last).

They need to sort their postage prices and get a web designer in. The company was established in 1989 and it looks like the website was thrown together not long thereafter!

17. GeorgeK

True, true and true :lol: Their reviews etc are actually very good - their writeups on the MiniLa and MiniLa Air are the only ones I can find outside of ones on GH / DT. Not a big fan of the 'black text on yellow background' design are we?

18. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Can you buy keycaps for the qPad MK85? Does anyone know?
    And what should look for on KBC to know that it is a cap that fits the MK85?

19. GeorgeK

You can for the most part but it's just a little more tricky than a 'standard' board. Everything as far as I can see is normal apart from the bottom row

On a Filco for example all the modifiers are the same size (1.25x) but on that you've got a mixture of 1.5x keys and 1x keys. I think the spacebar is also slightly smaller than usual (I think by looking it's a 6x whereas a normal size is 6.25x

Hope that makes sense and helps!

GK

Edit: And I think that this kit

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/universal-black-translucent-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-set.asp

should do you fine - it's got the bigger ctrls and alts and the smaller menu / fn key. I can't see a 1x windows key but there's something there that you could use instead. The only thing I'm not sure about is the spacebar. There are two sizes there but I can't tell if one would do you (it looks like it but I wouldn't want to swear on it)

Last edited: 25 Feb 2014
  20. Shirty

I suspect George is right. If only every keycap set had the full list of optional modifiers eh? I'd drop Bruce (the MD) an email and ask him outright about he spacebar, he's owned the company for 15 years so should be pretty clued up.

You can see the caps in action here: