1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Slow Synology NAS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Teknokid, 24 Feb 2014.

1. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Can anyone help me out here?

I've just bought a Synology DS214, with two WD Red 2TB drives.

I've got a problem though - I'm only getting ~10mbs transfer speeds.

The NAS is connected through a gigabit switch to all my PCS, but the switch is then connected to my router, which is only 100mbps. The router only connects to the switch - the pcs all run through the faster part of the network.

Any ideas why it's so slow?

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

are you sure the Synology is connected to the switch / your PC is connected to the switch at Gigabit speeds? Sounds to me like somewhere along the line it's going down to 100Mbit/s

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

That does seem slow.

I've got the older synology ds209 with 2 x 2TB. I get transfer speeds for small files of 10 to 20mbs. Large movie files transfer at 50 to 60 mbs.

I have a gigabit switch with all my PC's, NAS and other devices connected to it. My router is also connected to my switch, but it doesn't slow down the other devices.

Try checking the link speed on your PC's network cards to see if they are 1gbs.
    Also I found changing the ''jumbo packets' to 9000 on all my devices, including the NAS, sped everything up. Particularly large files.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2014
  4. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Had a little look at the switches and for some reason, which I don't understand, they were running at 100mbps. I turned them off/on, and all is working as expected (getting ~80mbps now!).

Thanks for the suggestions!